Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Undo a muffler delete?

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  HERE WE GO AGAIN 
#1 ·
I just got a mid muffler delete. Been researching it about as long as I have been researching the Challenger itself. On paper it seems like a solid mod - low cost, throaty sounds, doesn't affect warranty, quick to do, lots of people do it, and so on. But I have to admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the volume increase. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to shy away from a great car sound, but I feel the results everyone talks about are undersold a bit. YouTube videos never do anything justice, as the volumes depicted basically sound the same, or otherwise suffer from a lack of better audio recording equipment. On top of that - and seriously, no offense to anyone intended - everyone says "its loud but not that loud" and even had a few people tell me it's only like 25-30% louder. I'm no audio expert, but that's a serious underestimation. What kind of "loud" are you looking for if a mid muffler delete "isn't that loud?" And to be clear, I did only get the mid mufflers deleted. My resonators are still there.

I'm on the fence about going back. It's not a huge investment to lose - only cost me $100 - so I'm not worried about that at all. I also live in Alabama, so I'm hardly the only person in my neighborhood whose vehicle can be heard by everyone. I want to continue to drive it for a while to see if it grows on me, I mean I could just be experiencing the shock of how much louder it really is compared to the stock setup. But if I decide to go back to stock, is it a big deal? Is it as simple as the delete itself, but with installing a new mid muffler in place of the straight pipe? I feel like there would have to be a bit more pipe bending and finagling involved. And on top of that, the addition of the mufflers themselves (I made the dumb decision to not keep them after they chopped them off the car). So what kind of process and ballpark cost am I looking at? Or would I be messing it up by going back?

See less See more
#2 ·
IF .... you just did it, call the shop and see if they still have the mufflers. Never know, you might get lucky.

It seems that a lot of guys only care about volume. One of my buddies went with straight pipes all the way back. After a few weeks he couldn't take it any longer. Now he as mufflers that he can make quieter than stock or open exhaust with the push of a button on a key fob.

Exhaust sound is incredibly subjective. Go to some Cruise-Ins or car shows and find one you like and find out what they have.

#3 ·
I run with long tubes, cat delete and Mini Race Bullets while keeping the stock resos. I have to cold start the car with my garage door down so not to piss off my neighbor too bad :) I think the nicest old school muscle sound came with the Kooks install.

#4 ·
A muffler shop can easily put your mufflers back on. Maybe you should consider an aftermarket performance muffler in its place. It should get you in between stock and no mufflers. Personally, I would never do a mid muffler or resonator delete. IMO, they are louder but do not sound better. I like some drone as I don't want a sewing machine but I like to listen to my great Harman Kardon system also. My T/A already has some drone stock (Sport mode).

#6 ·
I've always liked the tone from a set of Flowmasters. They're on my planning list for when my economics will allow.

#8 · (Edited)
On my 2019 Charger RT, I replaced the mufflers with Dynomax mini race bullets, leaving the resonators in place. Yes it's louder, especially at cold start, but steady highway cruising isn't much different than stock. BUT, press the pedal and it's perfect! WOT, look out! (y)My total cost was like $105.00, install included. I used Dynomax 24250, which have 3" openings. Your stock exhaust is 2.75", so an easy install for any muffler shop. These are stainless steel, and average about $25.00 each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.