Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a question regarding unleaded race gas options for the 5.7 Hemi. I have a cam and have a tune set up for pump gas 93. I am plan on when I go to mexico or road race the car i plan to put some unleaded race gas into the tank to help with any detonation because i know that just cause it says 93 does not mean it is 93. So I have heard that the Sunoco 260 GT is good but i want to know about any other good unleaded race gas options. I know there wont be any performance gains since the car is tuned for 93, i would only be using the race gas to bring up the octane to help with any detonation and knock that may occur by using pump gas. Thanks everyone and appericate all the info.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,490 Posts
If you race at a sanctioned track I would think it would have race gas available -- gas with an elevated octane number though it might not be unleaded -- or would have a station nearby that sold race gas. If you can check on this before you leave that would alleviate some of your concerns.

Rather than try to take race gas with you -- maybe I'm misinterpreting what you wrote -- consider an octane booster additive. While I am not a fan of these in your case you have opted for a tune that requires an octane of gasoline that may not always be available. With an octane booster additive you can add some to the gasoline and bring the octane level of the gasoline up.

The trouble is if you buy 93 and fear it is not truly 93 what could it be? 92.5? 92? 91? Or? Do you make some "worse case" assumption and assume it might just be 91 and add enough octane booster to bring 91 to 93?

Oh, which octane booster additive? There have been considerable posts on this and Boostane seems to come in for the most recommendations. As I said before I'm not a fan of octane boosters and have no 1st hand experience with any but Boostane appears to be favored and is reported to work.

At the Boostane web site you should find a chart that gives the amount of Boostane needed to bring up various starting octane grades of gasoline to various higher octane levels. From this you can make an estimate of how much Boostane you would need to treat say a tank of 91 to bring it to a solid 93. Thus you would have some idea of how much Boostane you would need to take with you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts