Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, about a month ago, I purchased an AIT brand T/A hood on fleabay, $600 including S&H. Pretty cheap, and I was originally worried about quality. I posted pics in another post about it, but the hood wasn't painted. I had it painted over the last few weeks and here is the finsished product. Overall, I am very happy how it turned out. Total cost was $1700 (including paint and install), compared to a MOPAR TA hood that is about $2k for hood, airbox and CAI, and not painted; and they look exactly the same (on the outside). I've also included underhood shots for those wondering how the underside looks and how it mates to a CAI. I used a combintation of the MOPAR hood pin set, I had originally bought when I had the Cervini's shaker. The scuff plates, pins and lanyards are reproductions of the original "70 T/A Challenger ones ($40). Still undecided on scoop stripe and may make some mods to it. Anyways, enjoy:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the positive input. :smileup:

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,702 Posts
Looks great, looks like they did a really good paint job.

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Looks great seems like a cost effective way to get a functional T/A hood.

Take it easy
Jay

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I love the T/A hood and you did a great mod job!

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Awesome!!! Great look :smileup::smileup::smileup:
Reps for that one!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
WOW!!! That looks incredible!! Your car has been transformed into a B5 Beast!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Looks awesome. very well planned and executed!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the very kind responses. :smileup:

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
i can't really add anything more than what's already been said... you're hood turned out awesome... congratulations on the new look!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I appreciate the postive reviews. :smileup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
So was it $1000 for the paint job then? I am a little worried. I want to order one up, but I don't want to pay the price of the hood just to paint it black.

Also how was the install? and did you do it yourself?

Still looks sick regardless

·
Registered
614 Posts
Looking absolutely fantastic. If I ever decide to change my hood that might be the ticket.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So was it $1000 for the paint job then? I am a little worried. I want to order one up, but I don't want to pay the price of the hood just to paint it black.

Also how was the install? and did you do it yourself?

Still looks sick regardless
Painting and bodywork vary from place to place. You will need to get an estimate from your area. I could have gotten it done cheaper; but, I've used the same body guy for over 10yrs, and I'd rather pay a little more for quality work. I did not install myself, took it to bodyshop, they painted, drilled for hoodpins and installed. On the outside, hood is an exact replica of a MOPAR TA hood, only lighter. As you can see the airbox is integral and can be used with any open element CAI.
If you're worried about painting, it's going to cost the same regardless of what type of hood you get. My body guy said the prep work for the fiberglass was "pretty standard" with no really intensive prep needed.

Reactions: Sir Gilbert

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
103 Posts
Painting and bodywork vary from place to place. You will need to get an estimate from your area. I could have gotten it done cheaper; but, I've used the same body guy for over 10yrs, and I'd rather pay a little more for quality work. I did not install myself, took it to bodyshop, they painted, drilled for hoodpins and installed. On the outside, hood is an exact replica of a MOPAR TA hood, only lighter. As you can see the airbox is integral and can be used with any open element CAI.
If you're worried about painting, it's going to cost the same regardless of what type of hood you get. My body guy said the prep work for the fiberglass was "pretty standard" with no really intensive prep needed.
Thanks for the info, I think this is the route I am going to go down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts