Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thought I would update my last post/question about how to get some organization in my 2012 Challenger SXT. I ordered a Pocket Pod system, made by Covercraft, from Afterthought Auto. They weren't sure if it would work on anything after 2010. I checked a bunch of different years, checking my trunk lid design against theirs. Then, last month, I went to a Mopar show and was able to check against everything from 2008 on forward. I couldn't find any differences.

I told Afterthought to go ahead and order/send to me. The only part I was a little depressed about is I had to remove the original padding. Oh well. The 3M tape that is attached to the backing fits exactly the struts on the trunk. They also send some prep gunk to make the tape stick really well.

Here's some pictures. I really love having 'stuff' available as soon as I open the trunk. Hope you get as much of a kick out of it as I am.

majorchally

Attachments

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
I haven't seen anything like that before. Looks good!

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Cool idea! It's a good storage solution for the smaller stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I wanted a place to store an extra weapon and mags. If it's in the back, the authorities can't bug me...even though I have a CCP, weird state.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Does the upper part around the locking mechanism not get covered?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not really, but the clips keep everything locked up, pretty tight. the way the trunk closes puts most of the pressure on the bottom of the pocket. I actually kept the packing paper that came in the delivery as cushion for stuff I put in there (only using two pockets right now).
But it's a worth while product, I will give them credit for putting in the time to make sure every hole the grommets fit through were the same.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
I think it's a cool idea, I just don't like that area exposed...seems like they should be able to extend the fabric to cover the same area, the stock one does (unless I'm remembering wrong and that's bare on the stock one too). The exposed wiring drives my OCD wacky :)

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I think it's a cool idea, I just don't like that area exposed...seems like they should be able to extend the fabric to cover the same area, the stock one does (unless I'm remembering wrong and that's bare on the stock one too). The exposed wiring drives my OCD wacky :)

The exposed wiring drives my OCD wacky :)

Jim, Good thing you didn't purchase an early 2009 R/T because they didn't come from the factory with the mat on the trunk lid, LOL! :Wow1:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct, the stock backing does cover almost everything. Unfortunately the grommets don't want to fit through two layers :(

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
The exposed wiring drives my OCD wacky :)

Jim, Good thing you didn't purchase an early 2009 R/T because they didn't come from the factory with the mat on the trunk lid, LOL! :Wow1:
Can you retrofit a 2011+ trunk lid mat to a 2009? :D

You are correct, the stock backing does cover almost everything. Unfortunately the grommets don't want to fit through two layers :(
Wonder if you could get ones that would work and do little DIY modding? I love the idea of storage under the trunk lid.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Can you retrofit a 2011+ trunk lid mat to a 2009? :D

Wonder if you could get ones that would work and do little DIY modding? I love the idea of storage under the trunk lid.
Jim, yes they clip right on like the 2010 and above. To the best of my knowledge they are all the same up to 2014. Heck the 2009's didn't get the cabin filter either, LOL! I personally think Chrysler was feeling out the market to determine if the Challenger line would be successful and later loaded all of the "should have had items" on the rest of the production models from mid-2010 on up. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts