Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all quick question….so I’ve had my first and only 2019 SXT RWD for almost 18 months now and got upwards of 30k miles so far. I still quite a bit on it, but my dilemma here is whether or not to upgrade now. The dealership where I got it has been hounding me lately saying things like “give me a challenge to get you into a 2021 challenger….” Yada yada yada. I’d love one with a lot more power quite honestly. But because I still owe so much, is it even remotely possible for me to get an upgrade so soon? I know I should just be asking them but I hate those people because they lie about everything so I don’t trust what they say. Any thoughts or ideas or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks y’all!

regards,

Marshal

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
This is the absolute worse time in the history of the Challenger rebirth to buy a new car, no matter what brand it is! There are thousands of new cars stored on back lots with no computer chips to run them. Just for the heck of it yesterday we looked at a new Challenger R/T and they wanted $50K for it, $50K are you nuts! I laughed in the salesmans face! My Advice is wait until things settle back out which will be a minimum of a year at least, enjoy what you have or seriously bend over. No Offense Meant! Ry

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey all quick question….so I’ve had my first and only 2019 SXT RWD for almost 18 months now and got upwards of 30k miles so far. I still quite a bit on it, but my dilemma here is whether or not to upgrade now. The dealership where I got it has been hounding me lately saying things like “give me a challenge to get you into a 2021 challenger….” Yada yada yada. I’d love one with a lot more power quite honestly. But because I still owe so much, is it even remotely possible for me to get an upgrade so soon? I know I should just be asking them but I hate those people because they lie about everything so I don’t trust what they say. Any thoughts or ideas or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks y’all!

regards,

Marshal
You mean that tactic actually works? 😄

Yeah i wouldnt do it. You are upside down as it is.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,230 Posts
If you're upside down on the loan, it's not worth it. Get a quote from Vroom, Carvana, or KBB. If the value is enough to pay off the balance of your loan, then you have to reason with yourself if it's worth it to start over and finance another Challenger for another 5 years with likely bigger payments than what you pay now. The chip shortage is driving prices up on both new and used cars.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Buying a car and trading up early in the loan life, is generally not a financially good decision.
Unless you have well over 10k in trade equity or close to 20 in my case d/t the spike in trade in values. But yeah, sounds like the dealers are starting to play hardball as far as discounts and negotiating as much. That's why I'm thinking of ordering if I can find a place that will not require a non-refundable deposit and can still get it at invoice or a little less.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
884 Posts
Wait it out save the cash up till things pick up and prices go down they will. Get more equity and get credit rating to build up and it will put you in better position so when you are
ready it works in your favor. As said unless you got well over 10k paid in 18 months or less now is not the time to trade in dive into a newer more expensive Challenger or any other
make / model.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Cars don't sell up here, I can get a new GT 51K Canadian for slightly more than I paid for my 17 GT, 46K was the sticker price, I paid 6K less because it sat for a year on the lot. Trucks on the other hand are ridiculous. Dealership's are getting asking price for used trucks! New ones, I bet these thing, loaded over 80K Canadian. Unless they want to deal with something on the lot, don't.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Cars don't sell up here, I can get a new GT 51K Canadian for slightly more than I paid for my 17 GT, 46K was the sticker price, I paid 6K less because it sat for a year on the lot. Trucks on the other hand are ridiculous. Dealership's are getting asking price for used trucks! New ones, I bet these thing, loaded over 80K Canadian. Unless they want to deal with something on the lot, don't.
My T/A was the same, got a killer deal after it sat at the lot for a year but that being said it really depends on the challenger, my dad has a 2017 hellcat and got offer 69k from a dealer for it this spring because they had someone that wanted a hellcat and you can't get them right now, seems to be totally dependent on what it is

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
884 Posts
All Dealers use the lure we got someone or a couple of customers interested in your Challenger we will offer you $$$$$$$ for it.
Had the Dealer up the street do that when I had my car in for recalls to be done. Told them first my vehicle is not up there to be marketed,
second, I dont appreciate them showing it off which I knew was a bold lie. I am aware of shortages and now the market has also driven up
more on the used cars. Finally if I could afford a R/T or higher id had gotten one. They persisted 4 times till I told them stop harassing me
and id report them as well as report my vehicle during warranty work on the Seat Air Bags they busted my Driver Seat tilt Lever off.

Any ways as for the topic as stated hold out and hold on till things are better and prices come down they will.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Unless you have well over 10k in trade equity or close to 20 in my case d/t the spike in trade in values. But yeah, sounds like the dealers are starting to play hardball as far as discounts and negotiating as much. That's why I'm thinking of ordering if I can find a place that will not require a non-refundable deposit and can still get it at invoice or a little less.
In the early stages of a loan, very little principle is paid so it is highly unlikely trading up would not be a good idea especially when you consider all the taxes, license fees, etc. you pay on both vehicles and all the interest payments you made. Almost impossible to be a good financial decision when you account for all expenses. That's reality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Y’all make Great points here and as someone said the time to get new cars is not right now. Wait a year and let things calm down. Which is great advice and prob what I will do. I have zero leverage too so I’d be bending over for them if I was to trade up. I just don’t know enough about selling and trading and buying cars so I will get fleeced any which way I go.
But here is a legit question that I am curious if any of y’all have done. I’ve heard that if u are good enough and play the cards right, you can make the dealers pay the sales tax on the car which would save you several grand at least. I’ve heard of some doing that first hand. Have any of you guys done that at all?

·
Registered
808 Posts
In the early stages of a loan, very little principle is paid so it is highly unlikely trading up would not be a good idea especially when you consider all the taxes, license fees, etc. you pay on both vehicles and all the interest payments you made. Almost impossible to be a good financial decision when you account for all expenses. That's reality.
Yeah, but your trade amount is subtracted from the loan and you save that much in taxes. If you can get a 0% loan like I did for my mustang, all the payment goes to principal so if you pay a little extra each month, it gets paid down that much quicker. Plus trade values are way up. My car was only worth 22k about 2 years ago when I almost bought a Challenger and I owed almost 20k. Now it's worth about 28k and I only owe 8. License fees are about $55 here so no biggy. Plus my warranty has expired and things have already started wearing out. Nothing major yet, but with a new car you don't have to worry about that for a few years at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts