Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Challenger RT Manual

I used 5W/30 on my Hemi now i get a check engine light P000B.
Just got the oil changed and erased the codes but they still come back.
What do I need to do?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
The P000B code is for "camshaft slow response"
The 5.7L engine is equipped with Variable Valve Timing (VVT). This system uses an oil control valve to direct oil pressure into the camshaft phaser assembly. The camshaft phaser assembly advances and/or retards camshaft timing to improve engine performance, mid-range torque, idle quality, fuel economy, and reduce emissions.
The oil control valve / solenoid may need to be cleaned. If the screens get dirty you can get the code you are showing (or if the valve is fawlty). I've read that a higher viscosity oil (your case here) can also cause problems with this valve.
You just remove one bolt to pull the oil control valve if you want to clean it......... but you have the intake manifold off - the oil control valve is located underneath it....that's the PITA part.
All in all it's a user serviceable part if you're not adverse to wrenching on your own wheels. Removing the intake manifold isn't a major surgery for your car.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Did your dealer do the oil change ? How many miles did you drive before you realized the wrong oil was used and the idiot light came on ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jklotz10: in regards to the oil control valve, would it be possible to introduce seafoam in the oil then do a complete flush?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
An engine flush would probably do the trick if the screens on the oil control valve are just somewhat plugged due to the higher viscosity oil you used.
How long has it been since you changed the oil back to the correct viscosity?
You might want to give it a bit and see if it clears up on it's own after running the right oil for a while.
I myself don't like putting anything in the engine that isn't supposed to be there. If it doesn't clear up in a week or so (depending how often you drive it), maybe then try the flush.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just changed the oil last Sunday.
I noticed that on a
cold engine: it takes 4 tries before the engine starts.
warm engine: starts right away.

I just introduced 4 fl oz of seafoam in the crankcase. Tomorrow morning will be the test.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Keep us posted I hope that does the trick for you. Before I resorted to major surgery I would be talking to a couple different service managers at Dodge dealers and a few oil change places pretty sure you are not the first person to use 5/30 by mistake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This evening I poured about 4 oz of seafoam in the crankcase and cleared the engine code P000B.
Went for a 20 min drive and no code has popped up yet.

I will keep you posted on tomorrows morning start up.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,019 Posts
This evening I poured about 4 oz of seafoam in the crankcase and cleared the engine code P000B.
Went for a 20 min drive and no code has popped up yet.

I will keep you posted on tomorrows morning start up.
That's a good sign. If the oil control valve was bad or damaged, the check engine light would have come back on during your test drive. After your next drive, and no codes, do another oil & filter change and you should be good ( information I got from the Dodge Tech that did my P01 re-call ).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Currently at pep boys for an oil change. I've been running the vehicle with approx 7 oz of seafoam in the crankcase. For about a day now. Engine dtc light was still coming on so here I am pep boys. In the waiting area.... How boring..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to auto zone and asked for the proper oil to be used on the challenger rt . he looked in the system and stated that the information for oil was not showing up. He claimed that 5w/30 would be OK since the car was still new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks like I will be replacing the oil control valve.
Oil has been changed to 5W/20 for the second time in a week.
Once I left Pepboys I noticed a better response overall. I dont think its quite where its supposed to be. About 15 of drive time "Check Engine Light" pops up. This vehicle supposed to have 390HP to the wheels but i dont feel that power with this check engine light.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went to auto zone and asked for the proper oil to be used on the challenger rt . he looked in the system and stated that the information for oil was not showing up. He claimed that 5w/30 would be OK since the car was still new.
That sucks the guy at Auto Zone decided to guess at what would be OK to use. Using the right oil weight is so important these days. He should have known better than to guess. It would have taken 5 minutes to look in your owners manual to determine the correct oil to use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update...
Well, it worked. The installation was very easy and it took about an hour.
Oil Control Valve cost about $30.00 OEM
My car is good as new.

just in case someone else goes through the same mistake I made.
hope this helps

Step 1:
Depressurized fuel rail, disconnect sensors, and hoses from intake manifold plenum.

Step 2:

Moved intake manifold plenum to the side, covered intake with rags, and removed old oil control valve.

Faulty Oil Control Valve

New Oil Control Valve

Step 3:

Installed new Oil Control Valve

Step 4:

To be on the safe side I installed new gaskets to plenum.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts