Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to be buying a challenger R/T around September/October. I have been doing a ton of research and looking. I am finding the used 2009-2013 with low milage tend to be priced higher than new 2014 cars. I sold cars 20 years ago, and it used to be when you drove it off the lot your new car would lose value. Not sure whats going on. I have found a new 2014 with stripes, Auto, Uconnect and 20" tires for $25,898 + tax tags a used 2011 with the same and mileage below 15k seems to run about 28,000. Is this because Dodge is offering a bunch of rebates now? Or are these advertised prices scams to get people in? Havent bought a car in a while except fixed price, so I am a little confused.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ecord=1&searchRadius=100&aggregateId=11432216

vs

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...09&searchRadius=100&listingId=375968301&Log=0

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,473 Posts
2014's are on their way out, 2015's will start ordering in July, so dealers are really motivated to sell new 2014's off their lots now.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,580 Posts
2014's are on their way out, 2015's will start ordering in July, so dealers are really motivated to sell new 2014's off their lots now.
This^ and how the cars are optioned.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Don't be insulted but I'm wondering if maybe you are not comparing the same models? A used R/T can run in the entire $20k range and used SRT8s in the entire $30k range. If you are comparing New SEs with V-8 models, there will be a disparity in pricing. Another thought is that you are only going with used cars at dealerships? Check ebay or on-line and you'll find much better prices. I recently sold a very nice, tastefully modded (albeit higher mileage) RT Classic for a price in the low $20k range. Car was perfect. Keep looking!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not insulted at all. I asked a question and you were nice enough to take the time to answer it. Check out the two links. Just examples, but it seems to be all over. Both R/T autos with basically not much else, and the used is a grand more. This will be my daily driver of 18-20k miles a year, So I am looking for 15k or less on the odometer. Just seems new will be the way to go, rather than used. I dont care about the bells and whistles. Leather would be nice, but not important. Only reason I am going auto is a little better mileage, and I sit in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or so every Friday and Saturday in the summer on the way home. (Chesapeake Bay Bridge traffic is Awful)

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,473 Posts
You're also comparing a new Plus against a highly desirable Hemi Orange Classic. The fact that the HO is right outside DC makes the dealer add monies. He should come down. BTW, I have bought my last three vehcles(pre-owned certified) in Maryland.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What it looks like, is since I dont care about the extras, I should probably buy new Soon. If the orders start for the 2015 in July, I am guessing the dealers wont be getting more in. Or very few in. I know I wont be able to get a new 2015, because I am sure they will sell at sticker and it will be well over my budget. Almost 10g off a base model with auto seems like a pretty damn good deal.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I read recently that the Challenger is one of the worst cars to buy used.
The theory is that they have such a high resale value and dealers are giving
really good incentives on the new ones. I recently traded my 2011 RT in and got $24k. I purchased the car new for $29k. I figure they will try and get approximately 26k used. With the incentives going on now, you could purchase the same car for the same price I paid 3years ago. It just doesn't make any sense to buy used, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
really good incentives on the new ones. I recently traded my 2011 RT in and got $24k. I purchased the car new for $29k. I figure they will try and get approximately 26k used. With the incentives going on now, you could purchase the same car for the same price I paid 3years ago. It just doesn't make any sense to buy used, just my 2 cents.
I just checked KBB.com to see what my 1 month old R/T would be worth, and according to them, I could pretty much sell it at a profit! I'm not sure why this is, either, whether they're being bought by people who just assume the new ones would be too expensive, or only look at the MSRP and balk, not knowing that there are killer deals to be had!

I DO know that two different guys I was talking to about my new car thought it was a $45K car, and they were astonished I picked it up for $26,300.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked KBB.com to see what my 1 month old R/T would be worth, and according to them, I could pretty much sell it at a profit! I'm not sure why this is, either, whether they're being bought by people who just assume the new ones would be too expensive, or only look at the MSRP and balk, not knowing that there are killer deals to be had!

I DO know that two different guys I was talking to about my new car thought it was a $45K car, and they were astonished I picked it up for $26,300.
Lol This is what I was talking about. The Book values on used and new are almost identical. Funny you say that, But the reason I never bought one before this, is I figured the RT was 40k+ lol. Pretty sure you guys made my decision for me to buy new. Now I just have to hope there are still new ones on the lot when I am ready to buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2010 SRT8 in the end of May. Sticker on the car was $31,200 car had 7,100 miles on it, 6 speed, sunroof, upgraded speakers. Got it from York PA dealer with 3 more factory warranty years left. I did a lot of research before and this was the cheapest I found in the condition it was in. KBB had it appraised at $36,500.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Agreed... unless you are looking for something specific like a paint color that's no longer available.

BTW I guess the OP is somewhere in the DC area, based on the link to the used car @ Tyson's; the new car listing has been taken down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I came to the same conclusion when looking for mine.....that fact was brought home when I went to the dealer for my registration......used 13 rt cloth seats for 31k same price i paid for my new 14 rt classic leather 730 the works.....

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
The days when the Challenger was a new fresh design and rarely seen in the wild are gone. Dealers should not expect to get MSRP or above for anything but special packages. Many folks here have purchased their new Challengers for thousands below MSRP. The Hellcat will be one where I doubt they will negotiate on price and will probably add some on top of MSRP.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
If you plan on purchasing a 15 R/T be advised it's price will be higher then a new 14. The 15 R/T comes with a 485 HP Hemi as opposed to the 380HP R/Ts'. Doing some thinking here my 12 SRT with the 392 6.4 Hemi was stickered at 47K. There is a possibility the new R/Ts' could be in that price range. Or close to it. Distinct possibility imho. I don't think Dodge is so benevolent as to drop their prices or hold them in the mid to high 30K range for a 2015 R/T with a power plant more then 100 HP over the 13s.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use Carmax as a guide when purchasing any used car. Last time I checked they have 159 Challengers for sale in the entire US.

In June they reported a gross profit per used vehicle sold of $2,220. Since they use auction values and condition to determine their purchace price you can determine their approximate cost by deducting $2200 from the listed price.

Carmax is in our area and I found that used car dealers closely match their pricing to remain competitive. Even if Carmax is not nearby you can use their nationwide no haggle pricing as a guide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts