Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my Challenger has been idling a little rough, but it wasn't throwing codes and I am overdue to replace my spark plugs, so I was going to see if that helped. On Saturday night I was returning from an out of town trip when my Challenger started idling fast and the check engine light came on, the Challenger then went in to Limp Mode. Luckily I was about a block from the mechanic I sometimes use (small town, everything is within a five mile radius), so I drove it there and parked it. Yesterday, after checking the throttle body and a couple sensors, the shop performed a smoke test and found that the braided hose I ran from the catch can to the intake had failed and caused a vacuum leak. The smoke was coming up through the metal braiding. The rubber split and started peeling back about a half inch from the end of the hose that was attached to the manifold. According to the mechanic, it was due to the hose being too small for the nipple on the manifold. $200.00 later I had my car back with a 15.00 piece of rubber fuel hose in place of the braided hose.

Lessons learned:
1. When your car throws the P0507 and/or P2173 codes, check your catch can lines first.
2. Any kind of rough or fast idle can be an indication of a vacuum leak.
3. If the hose does not want to go over the plastic nipple, do not force it.

All things I should have known already.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I recently noticed that my catch can hose had hardened up, I may just go ahead and swap it out so I don't end up with a similar issue. Thanks for posting. I have had mine almost six years now, so that hose is pretty old. I still can't believe almost six years and I still love it as much as the first day.:) Here I am on a forum talking about it all these years later. They are great rides to keep that kind of interest that long!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I contacted the vendor of the hoses (a well known company here) and they are sending me a new hose free of charge. Still out the $200.00 though.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Wow... But I will say, in the heat and humidity down here, I have noticed oil weeping through the hoses I used on my Catch Can... I bought fuel hose to swap it out with - just haven't done it yet... may get on it now..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts