Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my Challenger at a shopping center last night to grab some takeout. As I was waiting for my order, I noticed two kids on skateboards gliding around my Challenger. Then they stopped. As it is, I don't trust skateboarding teenagers and since something didn't seem right, I ducked out of the takeout place and went to check on my Challenger.

What I saw next made my blood boil. One kid (I'll call him Dumb) was egging on the 2nd kid. Let's call him Dumber. Dumber had his leg raised in a karate kick pose, getting ready to kick my passenger door! Dumb was daring him to "do it".

I yelled at Dumber, "Kick that door and I'll break that leg!" Dumb and Dumber had not seen me approach and both jumped back when they heard my barked warning out of the darkness. Dumb immediately went into denial mode. "We weren't doing anything..." I charged at them so fast, both kids stumbled over each other trying to grab their skateboards.

It then got interesting. I continued to bark at them, demanding to know who the (expletive deleted) they were and why they were (expletive deleted) with my car (and that they were lucky I stopped them when I did, because kids or not, I would have beaten the crap out of them). Then I heard another voice, "What's going on here?"

Security had overheard the ruckus and came over to investigate. They weren't real cops, but they were dressed like them. Surprisingly, in spite of my anger, I was able to give a concise summary of what the 2 teenaged sh**balls were doing when I caught them, and both kids were lying through their teeth claiming they were just riding their boards and I was assaulting them!

The 1st security cop told the 2nd one to take the skateboards from the kids, both of whom were playing dumb (OK, maybe it wasn't playing) by refusing to give their names or addresses, and proceeded to write out what looked like citations to both kids, The 1st security cop handed the "citations" to each kid and told them, "When you guys remember your names and who your parents are, bring one of them down to the administrative office to claim your skateboards. There are posted signs every 100 feet banning skateboarding in the shopping center."

He turned to me and said, "I'm glad you caught them before they damaged your car. We can't detain them for police because no damage was was actually inflicted, and it's your word against theirs, but..."

Turning to Dumb and Dumber and looking directly at them, he continued "There's no doubt in my mind that they were about to kick your door, and I will be sure to mention your account to their parents if these two geniuses suddenly remember who they are and come back to pick up their property."

Both kids continued to whine about their skateboards, and the 2nd security cop chimed in, "Hey, as it is you two are out after hours. If you'd like, we can have SDPD pick you up to take you home." Both kids scowled and left on foot.

I'm buying the security guys a beer! :smileup:

·
Premium Member
18,526 Posts
John, I don't know what it is with you and parking lots but you've had more than your share of encounters with idiots of all ages. I'm glad in this case nothing happened to you or your car.

·
More Than Just A Car
20,526 Posts
Glad nothing happened to your car and more importantly you...props to you for going after them, these days you never know what can happen, they can pull a knife or a gun, so glad that none of that happened. Props out to the cool security guys, I think they handled that very well....we need more "wanna be's" like them.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, I don't know what it is with you and parking lots but you've had more than your share of encounters with idiots of all ages. I'm glad in this case nothing happened to you or your car.
Glad nothing happened to your car and more importantly you...props to you for going after them, these days you never know what can happen, they can pull a knife or a gun, so glad that none of that happened. Props out to the cool security guys, I think they handled that very well....we need more "wanna be's" like them.
No doubt! And it's usually door-dingers and close-parkers while I'm in my Jeep. But it really reinforces my rationale for having a beater for a daily driver. This happened after 10 last night and I was so hot about it afterwards, I couldn't write about it until this morning. Trust me, part of me wanted to go looking for those kids after the fact.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Phew!! Crisis diverted John! One minute later and you would have returned to find a huge dent in your door panel!!!! Good instincts!

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
HemiMetal, I am glad nothing happened to you car.

Midnight RT, he lives in California, enough said!

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
nice catch John....glad you were able to get there on time...as much as you would have enjoyed kicked their asses and deservedly so...that wouldn't have ended well for you for sure.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It suddenly occurs to me that high schools here in San Diego, like most of the rest of the country, started fall sessions just last Monday. I suppose there could be a connection with my incident. Maybe the teachers aren't assigning enough homework to keep the kids busy?

Home Theater Guy brings up a good point about living in California, especially in the larger cities. I know several members here questioned my decision to install a locking gas cap when I first got my Challenger. Vandalism is so much more a real concern here, I even installed one on my 12 year old Jeep.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
man good thing you was there when you was. kids dont care about others stuff, so sad. if it had been my kid a good a;; busting would have happened when we got home, then they would have put me in jail for abuse.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phew!! Crisis diverted John! One minute later and you would have returned to find a huge dent in your door panel!!!! Good instincts!
Thanks Susie. What bothers me the most is that those kids had no misgivings about damaging someone's property. I hate to generalize, but that lack of respect often comes from receiving everything from mommy and daddy, and not having to work and pay for your own possessions. When I was 15, my dad told me to get a job if I wanted to get a car and that's exactly what I did. I worked part time and actually contributed part of my earnings to my family household. That's a value that seems to be fast disappearing today.

GAWD! Now I sound like my dad! And he never seemed more right!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Glad you stopped them. Making mental note to self: Never move to SD and or Cali with the Challenger. lol

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,977 Posts
Thanks Susie. What bothers me the most is that those kids had no misgivings about damaging someone's property. I hate to generalize, but that lack of respect often comes from receiving everything from mommy and daddy, and not having to work and pay for your own possessions. When I was 15, my dad told me to get a job if I wanted to get a car and that's exactly what I did. I worked part time and actually contributed part of my earnings to my family household. That's a value that seems to be fast disappearing today.

You hit the nail on the head John! Great instinct and well played by the security guys!

·
Premium Member
18,526 Posts

I've said this before and I'll say it again, most of today's youth have been denied the luxury of poverty.

·
12,990 Posts
I always do everything in my power to stay away from parking lots with my Challenger, it seems that they always seem to be a target.

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Sign of our troubled times....

HM;

I'm with you on the opening up of a can of WhoopAzz on these punks.

The real trouble for me is long term. These are the future "citizen" of this
"great" country who we depend on to keep our Country free and free from
tyranny. But looking at the evening news now, it ain't lookin' good.

Perhaps we all should invest in a couple cases of this product and keep it
on the shelf for future use....

You should update/change your handle to "Challenger Protector".

:smileup:

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts

Couldn't agree with you more John. I'm raising a son who is almost 14. My husband and I are by far the strictest parents amongst all his friends. The things they are allowed to do and how late they stay out at night blow my mind! R E S P E C T is huge in my household! Don't know why it's not in others.

·
Business
21,330 Posts
Lucky you got decent rent a cops. Most at my work are brainless. Glad your car came out undamaged!

·
12,990 Posts
HM;

I'm with you on the opening up of a can of WhoopAzz on these punks.

The real trouble for me is long term. These are the future "citizen" of this
"great" country who we depend on to keep our Country free and free from
tyranny. But looking at the evening news now, it ain't lookin' good.

Perhaps we all should invest in a couple cases of this product and keep it
on the shelf for future use....

You should update/change your handle to "Challenger Protector".

:smileup:

Marv,Take this from a fellow old timer, A better and more accurate word for these guys is "VERMIN" plain and simple. :redx2::redx2:

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
I hate to throw a big ol' blanket over the whole thing because there are exceptions. I see it as just bad parenting. No way these kids should be running around on a school night beyond ten o'clock, or nine for that matter. It may sound old school, but look at what these two are willing to do for kicks. No pun intended. Something to be said for having ground rules. Parents need to be more in tune with what and who their kids are. Laws are also not on our side anymore. I remember throwing snowballs at cars when I was young. I got caught by a nineteen year old after hitting his car with one. I was fifteen. I got my a$$ kicked. I deserved it. When I went home and told my dad what happened, I got my a$$ kicked again. I deserved it. Doesn't happen anymore. There is no accountability anymore being taught. Watch a kid at a car show. Watch him go "dad, dad, look at that one. Ooh, look at this one." Guarantee you that father will never get a call saying his kid was getting ready to kick any car, much less a muscle car. I wouldn't doubt that those two punkins have no father figures. If they do they may as well not.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts