Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed a strange noise coming from the car during everyday driving. I'm looking for any advice on what may be the culprit here to get this fixed. I'll lay out the facts & let you come to your own conclusions… :4-dontknow:

• -Low hum that changes with speed. At first, around 45-50mph the sound resonated a lot more, but it is slower than tire speed. Approximately 1 'hum' per second at that speed. Now it's clear-cut the repetition, but it still is audibly louder at that speed.
  • -Audible at all speeds, except very low… Approximately 20-25mph.
  • -Seems to be coming from the right front tire.
  • -Slight amplification while turning.
  • -Just barely feel anything in the pedal, mainly all sound.
  • -Right front tire is 2 psi lower than the left.
  • -No noticeable alarming tire wear or uneven wear (photos attached - 1).

Part of me thinks I may need a rotation, and to call it a day. Another part is worried there is a much bigger issue at hand. Recently, it seems I was side swiped in a parking lot. Not noticeable to the everyday person…but we challenger owners can sense a disturbance in the force when there is any scratch & knick on our cars the very second it happens.. :SHOCKED:

I went to check it out, and three marks of missing paints on the wheel fender all at the same even height were found. I'm worried someone slightly swiped the car and possibly misaligned the front wheels or damaged the axle (photos attached - 5&3). I currently have Eibach pro-kit springs on there (previous align numbers attached - screen shot)

Again, please let me know your thoughts. Anything is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Check the balance on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Picture 3 shows what looks to be some slight curb rash on the wheel in two places.
Is the car pulling to either side while driving?
On previous vehicles I've owned, that sound you speak of was usually associated with tires that were not wearing evenly....but in your pic the tire looks OK.
If this just started (the 'hum') you might be able to nip it at the bud with an alignment check and tire balance. If your wheel bearing is bad they won't be able to align it and they'll tell you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts