Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,

I found this 392 scat pack for sale and I like everything about it but the vinyl strip on the hood and trunk. I've removed adhesive before using a rubber wheel and isopropyl alcohol but that was for glue/adhesive. What do you all recommend for removing the ugly faded stripe? I'm concerned that it's going to be a giant pain and the paint won't match up. Any thoughts?

Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Car

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,457 Posts
Depending on the age of the stripes and the environment it was kept in there could very well be a color difference when they are removed. Heat is the way to get the vinyl off. Not real hot but hair dryer on high. You can also use steam if you are careful.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had so many different graphic changes on my 1320 i cant tell you. I put full side stripes on from front to back and took them off the same day, had different graphics on the quarters & hood, etc...
Only thing I can tell you is .... They come right off when they haven't been on long, like a piece of cake easy. I used a hair dryer and it was very easy but my 1320 and now Hellcat stay covered 24/7 when not in use. I would imagine when they've been on for years and baked by the sun it will be stiff & brittle which could be a bitch to get off.

I had to take the tint off my old ZL1 which was baking in CA Sun for years and man that was a Mo Fo to get off even with a hair dryer, so your concerns may be real...
Thats a BEAUTIFUL SP 👍

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car itself is beautiful, sounds amazing and the interior is in good shape. The paint needs to be redone and the stripe is hideous to me. Its peeling badly when you look at it in person. There are a few rock chips but for being a 2018 with 71K miles on it, the price is a bit steep to me. If it was in better shape paint wise, I would have gone over budget for it. Here's a link. https://www.carmax.com/car/23097043, passenger side and driver side both have some rock chips.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
4,656 Posts
Hair Dryer works fine slowly go a bit at a time afterwards I use a small amount of lighterfluid on a soft rag gets all the adhesive off cleanly and without paint damage

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,927 Posts
I would take it to a local graphics shop and possibly consider replacing it with new unless you don't like the stripe at all, but extremely serious paint fade will not compound out and a repaint is very expensive these days, whereas a new stripe is not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would take it to a local graphics shop and possibly consider replacing it with new unless you don't like the stripe at all, but extremely serious paint fade will not compound out and a repaint is very expensive these days, whereas a new stripe is not.
I may be the minority with this opinion but I think vinyl stripes are dumb. I like actual paint and not the crazy graphics and stripes that people put on vehicles. I'm looking at another 392 in B5 blue but the seats look awful to me. Is there a way to order factory leather replacement seats for scat packs?

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,927 Posts
I may be the minority with this opinion but I think vinyl stripes are dumb. I like actual paint and not the crazy graphics and stripes that people put on vehicles. I'm looking at another 392 in B5 blue but the seats look awful to me. Is there a way to order factory leather replacement seats for scat packs?
Some colors of the Dodge paints compound better than others, so I'm not saying it cannot be done, go for it and see what happens. I had really bad fade on my Pitch Black paint and successfully got it out but it took about 5 passes to do it. As far as the seats, you can pretty much replace anything on these cars through the many Mopar Parts dealers.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
4,656 Posts
If the car is garage kept you have a better chance of getting them off without ghosting if the car is out in the sun for more then a couple years a ghosting may be present. Now if its say a belt line stripe or bumblebee stripe and removed and it ghosted it might actually be a nice effect. Have seen 2 cars that were ghost faded but they came off clean and the cars looked decent. I like Painted Stripes better easier upkeep and love the glass smooth design vs raised Vinyl.

Advantage to Vinyl is you can always remove it and go with something else easier way to change the graphics and if maintained they are fine. Also today you can get a lot of different things printed that was not available years ago. Flames, 3d Designs etc., its come along ways and there is products to maintain them. How ever some vinyl material does not like things you would just apply on painted surfaces. So there is a trade off on them but I almost went with a Side Stripe on my Challenger when I got it in Vinyl glad I did not as I found which way I really wanted to go with my car.

These caught my eye when I seen them and the Company was going to give me a good deal on them. If I had the Heritage Wheels on my Challenger,
these would of been an idea.
Font Line Parallel Electric blue Rectangle

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I have removed some with a hair dryer and pulling.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
After peeling the stripe or emblem with the help of a blow-drier and small plastic putty knife, I've used 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover-Aerosol #38987 for years to remove stripe and emblem adhesive residue from multiple (all Mopar) vehicles without any problems. Just remember to wash and wax the area afterwards. Test a small inconspicuous area first. And take your time, let the blow-drier do its job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts