Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2021 scat pack 1320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new 2021 challenger scat pack 1320. I got the extended warranty and feel I made a mistake. I can cancel it if I have to. Been watching YouTube videos and seems the dealer is refusing work just by plugging in to the computer and seeing if ur racing it or on it hard. Has anyone have issues like this or heard of any? Has anyone used warranty and drive like it’s been built to drive?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,819 Posts
I have not heard of that for warranty denial, modifications can cause denials. I take some you tube videos with a grain of salt. A lot of pertinent info can be left out.

·
Registered
2021 scat pack 1320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to keep it all stock. I do want to put a catch can thats about it. once warranty is over forged pistons and rods and super charge it. scat pack sleeper

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
2,029 Posts
They are Data Logging these Cars and started in 2018 they have a Base Scan on it before it's picked up or sold Meaning there is a Scan Log History on File.
So they are cracking down, if you don't mod the car your fine. When the EV's come out they will be observing the Driving Habits even closer...

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,118 Posts
Just purchased a new 2021 challenger scat pack 1320. I got the extended warranty and feel I made a mistake. I can cancel it if I have to. Been watching YouTube videos and seems the dealer is refusing work just by plugging in to the computer and seeing if ur racing it or on it hard. Has anyone have issues like this or heard of any? Has anyone used warranty and drive like it’s been built to drive?
Dodge clearly states issues from racing/track use are not covered by the warranty.

From my Scat Pack's warranty booklet:

Your warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by racing, nor do they cover the repair of any defects that are found as the result of participating in a racing event.

In a nearby paragraph abuse (abuse? Well, high revving the engine or subjecting it to heavy loads while the engine is cold comes to mind), negligence, and misuse (driving over curbs or driving with the vehicle overloaded) are also listed as grounds for denied warranty coverage. The data the factory can retrieve from the car's electronics I'm sure is used. Also, at least one factory I'm familiar with a possible warranty claim possible on an engine any diagnosis was preceded by an engine oil analysis.

Also listed:

Tampering with the emission systems, or with a part that
could affect the emission systems.

Thus the fitting of a catch can could be considered tampering with the emissions system. Positive crankcase ventilation is part of the engine's emissions system package.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
And as told to me by one of our club members that has worked at a Dodge dealership for the past 30 years, (He owns a 1320) If you use the trans brake or line lock just one time, the powertrain warranty is void. Think about it...

Plaintiff: How can you prove I was racing?
Army of FCA Lawyers: PCM data shows you used the line lock and trans brake. Those are used for drag racing.
Judge: Case dismissed

-John

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,819 Posts
And as told to me by one of our club members that has worked at a Dodge dealership for the past 30 years, (He owns a 1320) If you use the trans brake or line lock just one time, the powertrain warranty is void. Think about it...

Army of FCA Lawyers: PCM data shows you used the line lock and trans brake. Those are used for drag racing.

-John
Sorry but I don't think that is accurate, why would they make a model called 1320 and put a transbrake in it if they did not expect it to be drag raced.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
2,029 Posts
While they did add it and yes it has a purpose, that purpose would not apply for Highway and Street's it applies to off Road on a Drag Strip so it can bounce back and forward.
Yes they can say we equipped that feature and that was for the Weekend Warriors to in theory use that at a Track and once you put a car on a Track any Damage that
occurs is your Dime not theirs. Your Car's insurance will not cover an Wreck on a Strip or Track but it will cover it on the Road, Same can be said and argued with the Warranty.
There is always more then one side to this in a normal world your not going to use that at every traffic light or pause on an Interstate backup to resume driving.

So Line Locks, Transbrake features are OEM on the High End HP models that some tracks will have rules in some classes it must be an OEM feature to allow it in certain
classes.

For Legal Releases that is also why they put that print in type and when you buy that car it also is like a Software License Agreement depending on its use they are not responsible
or obligated for as long as it's disclosed in writing and its always in the Fine Print.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Sorry but I don't think that is accurate, why would they make a model called 1320 and put a transbrake in it if they did not expect it to be drag raced.
By the same token we could say, "People don't expect their 1320 to get broken when drag racing." But, they do. They also crash into drag strip barriers and other cars frequently too. I'm sure someone with a 1320 can post the owners manual disclaimer about racing in this note.
-John

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
550 Posts
There is no black and white answer to this question. Personally, I don't like extended warranties but to each their own. There have been some that were offered through the dealer that were pretty good but are no longer offered. 3rd party warranties are a rip off. IMO.
If you leave the car stock (there have been reports of cars denied warranty due to the presence of a catch can. Yes you can remove it but I am going to be as honest with the dealer as I want them to be with me) and do not track race it I do not think you will have a problem. I find it hard to believe that if I use my line lock it voids my warranty. This is going to vary from dealer to dealer. My dealer? Perhaps. They are pretty strict. I have heard of others much more forgiving. But I am going to leave mine stock and drive it like it was designed for without tracking it and let the chips fall where they will.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My car gets a monthly "health report" e mailed to me from Dodge by VIN.
It hasn't been back to the dealer since purchase.
I'm sure others get it too.
It tells me my current tire pressure and oil life remaining.
Who knows what else they can monitor. Don't kid yourself, they're monitoring every startup.
They can keep an eye on us from afar, with even without taking the car to a dealer.
So, if you change your own oil by mileage, and don't reset the reminder, will that void your warranty if the recommended miles are exceeded in the computer, but not in real life?
Sure I keep a record, but what court's gonna believe scribble in a notebook.
Gettin' to be a slippery slope for sure.

·
Registered
277 Posts

-John
I find that extremely hard to believe. Whats next.... Voided warranty if you put it track mode?

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
A lot depends on the mechanic and the dealership. As already stated. However they can't just say you caused it because you changed the muffler or added a catch can. They will have to prove that the part or behavior is what caused the issue. Just remember that it will be easier for them to prove it did then for you to prove it didn't.

That being said I wouldn't think that using the features provided by the factory would be a way for them to void a warranty if you use them in the manner provided in the instructions.

Drag facing for rewards, be it trophy or money, if they can prove it, would be a different story.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2019 F8 Green 1320
38 Posts
I feel like I should call my dealership and say I'm looking to buy a 1320 and ask if the warranties are void if I use the transbrake... It's like selling you a boat and saying that the warranty if void when you put it in the water. I'm not saying that Challengers resemble boats in any way!

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
422 Posts
This is interesting topic. I just finished up the paperwork for a 2021 R/T Shaker and bought the extended warranty just for the electronics. I thought my 2012 R/T was scary tech, this thing is jaw dropping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am trying to understand why some people are saying if we use the features dodge installed on our Challengers the warranty can be voided but I don't. I have read most of the 667 pages in my 2016 users manual and here is a quote before deeply explaining how to use all of my performance features which it has all of them available for my year.

Performance Features — If Equipped
WARNING!
Measurement of vehicle statistics with the Performance
Features is intended for off-highway or offroad
use only and should not be done on any public
roadways. It is recommended that these features be
used in a controlled environment and within the
limits of the law. The capabilities of the vehicle as
measured by the performance pages must never be
exploited in a reckless or dangerous manner, which
can jeopardize the user’s safety or the safety of
others. Only a safe, attentive, and skillful driver can
prevent accidents.

That tells me that if I use them at a race track it would be as intended.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts