Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking MOPARs site last night for updates on the SCAT packs and they added the first links on the page since I last visited it last week. I was pissed off to say the least at first, then I remembered our VIN numbers and the rest of the Shaker package is what makes our cars special. This would be no different than picking up a '69 Camaro that had a 6 banger in it and dropping an 8 in it then rebadging it to an RS/SS... looks good, but numbers mean EVERYTHING.

http://moparproshop.com/scat_pack_stage_kits1

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Some of us are not lucky enough to get the packages you have,so in the end if we can get them later on ,it might affect the over all value of the car but yours will still always have the "numbers matching " that most purists want for value, I dont care about the value these have become high production cars ,so yours will always remain a collector no matter how many people put the stuff on after the fact IMHO HOPE I DIDNT MAKE YOU MORE MAD,

and thanks for the link:Hey:

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,017 Posts
Was checking MOPARs site last night for updates on the SCAT packs and they added the first links on the page since I last visited it last week. I was pissed off to say the least at first, then I remembered our VIN numbers and the rest of the Shaker package is what makes our cars special. This would be no different than picking up a '69 Camaro that had a 6 banger in it and dropping an 8 in it then rebadging it to an RS/SS... looks good, but numbers mean EVERYTHING.

http://moparproshop.com/scat_pack_stage_kits1
MECUM AUTO AUCTION yesterday: 1970 Olds 442 W30 matching numbers original car sold for just over $100,000.00. A few minutes later a 1970 Olds 442 W30 (tribute) sold for $40,000.000.--:naughty: Enough said about add-ons. Enjoy it for what YOU want it to be.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,503 Posts
From what I understand, the Scat Pack packages where always meant to be available as an add-on package as well as factory ordered and dealer installed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have added aftermarket functional hood scoops, aluminum door sill plates, brushed alluminum e-brake pedal, matching aluminum dead pedal, stainless steel engine cover insert, Charger clean air tube, sequential tail lights, skip shift eliminator, etc. I didn't buy my car as an investment, I bought it to enjoy, I drive it daily, I pamper it too. But I am making the car mine, mine touches, my personality....I want people to say, "Wow, Look at Steve's car! That is so cool!" I never intended to buy it and leave it the same as the day I bought it. I watch the Mecum and Barrett/Jackson auctions also, seems there is a swing away from the original cars. Seems restomods are the next big thing. Modern motor, modern suspension, modern electronics and all the modern bells and whistles with the look of the old bodies but getting away from all the old problems. I say express yourself.....make your statement with your Challenger, forget about the numbers matching and the attitude of my car is better than yours cause its all orginal and came with the options installed at the factory. Mine could eventually be just like yours, took me longer and I had to go another route cause I couldn't afford all the options on day one.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't understand why so many people think these cars will be worth so much in the future. They've been making the same style for 7 years now and in 50 years (to equate these cars to a late 60s muscle car today) if I were buying one with a shaker I'd want the 2015+ 392 Scat Pack Shaker, not the 5.7 R/T. I don't think Challengers will be that hard to find in the future and this would be more like the 327ci/275hp L30/M20 Camaro with an RS package not a 396SS or 427SS. You should enjoy it, mod it and drive it.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Like I said, I got over it. Was hoping initially Dodge would do something like GM did with the Z28 and VIN number code the Shaker specific parts to only Shaker owners. I am cool with it, I have came back down from the mountain now.

I don't understand why so many people think these cars will be worth so much in the future. They've been making the same style for 7 years now and in 50 years (to equate these cars to a late 60s muscle car today) if I were buying one with a shaker I'd want the 2015+ 392 Scat Pack Shaker, not the 5.7 R/T. I don't think Challengers will be that hard to find in the future and this would be more like the 327ci/275hp L30/M20 Camaro with an RS package not a 396SS or 427SS. You should enjoy it, mod it and drive it.
I am with you to a certain degree Mac, I would like to have the 392 with SCAT pack also, however, as far as collectors are concerned, IF Dodge ONLY builds the Shaker from here on out with the 392 in them, then you can rest assured the 2000 or less built this year with the 5.7 will be of higher collector value later. There are automotive turds that were built in the 80s that are highly collectible, I give you the Shelby Plymouth Horizon :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
542 Posts
You pulled a good one out there :). Regardless of what happens in the future the shaker looks awesome and I'm sure it evokes a smile every time you walk up to the car. I wish it were an option in 2010. Enjoy.

Reactions: boilerdan

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You pulled a good one out there :). Regardless of what happens in the future the shaker looks awesome and I'm sure it evokes a smile every time you walk up to the car. I wish it were an option in 2010. Enjoy.
And unfortunately Mac, that Shaker hood and induction system upgrade, for some reason, only fits 2011-2014. Wonder if it has to do with the Rams head logo on the front rocker?

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I think we all had some expectation of the new era Challenger holding value down the road, but after the production run continued past 2012 all bets were off the table. Unfortunately, it will be just another Challenger when the production run is fully exhausted sometime after 2018.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I feel bad for the guys that bought a new Challenger and have been keeping it under glass instead of driving it, assuming they'll get a decent return on it in 20 years or so. They missed the whole point of owning the car.
Don't get me wrong, I admit the miles are pretty low on my 2010 (currently 15,230), but that's due to winter storage and my OCD about taking it out in the rain. With the weather we've had this year so far I've only put about 1300 mi on it. If I lived in the drought stricken southwest I'd probably have about 80,000 miles on it now. I'm not saving it as a collector item, I just want it to be in near new condition (appearance wise) when I'm 70 years old.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel bad for the guys that bought a new Challenger and have been keeping it under glass instead of driving it, assuming they'll get a decent return on it in 20 years or so. They missed the whole point of owning the car.
Don't get me wrong, I admit the miles are pretty low on my 2010 (currently 15,230), but that's due to winter storage and my OCD about taking it out in the rain. With the weather we've had this year so far I've only put about 1300 mi on it. If I lived in the drought stricken southwest I'd probably have about 80,000 miles on it now. I'm not saving it as a collector item, I just want it to be in near new condition (appearance wise) when I'm 70 years old.
AMEN Brother, I keep the miles low on mine for about the same reasons. However the miles on my '13 were very hard low miles :naughty:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Like I said, I got over it. Was hoping initially Dodge would do something like GM did with the Z28 and VIN number code the Shaker specific parts to only Shaker owners. I am cool with it, I have came back down from the mountain now.

I am with you to a certain degree Mac, I would like to have the 392 with SCAT pack also, however, as far as collectors are concerned, IF Dodge ONLY builds the Shaker from here on out with the 392 in them, then you can rest assured the 2000 or less built this year with the 5.7 will be of higher collector value later. There are automotive turds that were built in the 80s that are highly collectible, I give you the Shelby Plymouth Horizon :4-dontknow:
Let me give you some perspective: I used to be into Vettes. look at any Vette for sale ad, everyone puts that the Vette they're trying to sale has some special feature. In 1978 was the 25th Anniversary for a Vette. Dealers charged up to $10k more for them, stuck them away in plastic bags, and now they are worth the same as any other 1978 Vette (they are not numbered, but the package is assigned by VIN). In 1988 was the 35th Anniversary for a Vette. They made 2050 numbered cars. I had #315. Today, almost 35 yrs later, they command a whole $1k over a standard 1988 Vette, "IF" they are in tip top condition.
You are 47 yrs old according to your stats. In 40 yrs, you'll be 87 and probably either dead or close to it. Even "if" you still have your shaker, the chances of it being worth any more significant amount is almost nill. For all we know, gas will be $25.00 a gallon to force people to buy electric or hydrogen powered machines. Collectibility is based on what buyers determine is collectable and rare, not what the seller thinks it is.
If you sell or trade in your car in less than 10 yrs, you will get the same in sale/trade in value as any other 2014, give or take $1k. You spent $7K on the package. Not a good return....as investments in cars rarely are. People why sold or traded their MOPAR 10's and 2011 IE cars got the same as any other 2010 RT and 2011 SRT Challenger when they traded in. Those cars in the high dollar auctions have paperwork, and restoration costs that come close to the profit margin. Very few make any serious money off them.

Point is: EVERYONE thinks their car is rare and special...and it is....to them.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Point is: EVERYONE thinks their car is rare and special...and it is....to them.
You are right, I am not naive enough to think things happen over night and wholeheartedly realize I could never see it myself. I got the car for me to drive not an investment. I also got it to be passed down to my grand kids later down the road. What it ends up being worth down the road is all tied to a million unpredictable variables. I highly doubt the guys buying a '70 Chevelle LS6 454 or a '71 Challenger R/T 426 thought that their cars would ever command 6 digits...

·
Registered
548 Posts
You are right, I am not naive enough to think things happen over night and wholeheartedly realize I could never see it myself. I got the car for me to drive not an investment. I also got it to be passed down to my grand kids later down the road. What it ends up being worth down the road is all tied to a million unpredictable variables. I highly doubt the guys buying a '70 Chevelle LS6 454 or a '71 Challenger R/T 426 thought that their cars would ever command 6 digits...
Around 1980 the factory production numbers surfaced which pushed HEMI prices beyond what most MOPAR car club members could afford. 1970 Hemi Challenger production was about 200. Compare this to the Hemi Road Runner which was closer to 800.

A RR could was an easy find for $8K but an unmolested 70/71 Challenger was a rare, even then.

How much?

In the early 80s 426 Challengers that stickered at $5-6K were selling for $12K+, factory Hemi Darts $15K, convertible Hemi Challenger $20K. These were drivers, not restored garage queens. BTW $12K is about $35K in todays dollars.

Add that much for a show quality restoration and you see how $70K is justified...to some buyers.

Fast forward and you can see why todays market is very different. The Hemi production numbers are a thousand times greater then the originals.

That said, I have bought and sold numerous Hemi cars between 1980 and 2000 and I prefer the present day version without a doubt. Enjoy your car to the max.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
I don't want to be the wet blanket here, but I just want to make a short statement that is not new to this forum. I think most Challenger owners here are +40 years old. If you bought your Challenger as an investment, sorry, it aint happening in your lifetime. Of course, enjoy the wonderful machine you bought, but don't keep the mileage down or put it in bubble wrap thinking it will be on Mecham in ten years undergoing furious bidding.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
For me, I purchased the car to use not as a primary driver, but instead something that I could mature over a long period of time. My hope is that it is a legacy that I can hand off to my daughter when she has her own home (and a garage to keep it). So far we have gone to a couple car shows with it already and she really enjoys all of the aspects of cars and racing.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
When I looking at buying my car I didn't know what year to by I wanted the SRT but I didnt want the cost that comes with it. I drive my car daily in the summer, I park my truck in the garage and for the few summer months she is out running then when old man winter comes back I put her away I brought mine used with 29K now a few days away from being a year old since I got her I have 46K I plan on hitting 50K by the end of summer I drive it every chance I get its just a car and I can die tomorrow or the next 40 years I want to say I have a cool car which I enjoyed every time I could've. Save yours, I'll drive mine with the biggest smile

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
There's historical precedence for Chysler marketing individual aftermarket performance items in addition to factory installed packages. Purpose was to give an owner the ability to affordably add high performance features later after purchasing a lower priced car. Also parts were made available if he could not find a factory equipped car with all the features he wanted in the first place. Back then the manufacturers were not considering future collectability. They wanted to make cars and parts that would meet consumer demand.

I have found and posted a few pages from a 1971 Scat Pack brochure:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts