Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It came out beautiful ! Ok, What already??!!

You know that aweful orange peel that some have talked about of which many of our Challengers seem to have just a little too much of? Well one of our members "STS1" recently posted how he got rid of most if not all of it. He said that he sanded the entire car with 2500 grit paper and then using a micro-finishing compound and a foam pad buffed out the car very carefully. It took him a whole day but it's like glass now and he doesn't have to do it again....It's done.
So this afternoon I decided to go for it. Well, I started the job anyway. Only I used 2000 grit instead. Now mind you, I was apprensive given the fact that there really isn't a whole lot of clear on these new cars to begin with. So I didn't lay into it. I just wet sanded it enough to get the majority of that ugly orange peel flattened out. I only did the drivers side of the roof part just rear of the quarter window and the upper part of the quarter panel. Of course I taped off the gas door, window, and stripes. Buffed it the same as he did and then glazed it followed by a wash and wax of that area. The result is amazing. I will do a little at a time in the days ahead. :smileup:

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
That's cool man. Definitely need to see some pics though! Curious to see how it turned out for you!

·
More Than Just A Car
20,520 Posts
Reps to you for the courage to take sandpaper to your car, regardless of the grit :smileup:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's cool man. Definitely need to see some pics though! Curious to see how it turned out for you!
Unfortunately I'm sure you won't be able to see the difference in a photo. You'd have to see it with the naked eye.. Trust me, it came out looking probably 80 to 90 percent better. I stayed away from the peaks and edges. That's very important. - Maybe when I'm completely done I'll take a picture and post it but I really don't think you'll be able to tell.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reps to you for the courage to take sandpaper to your car, regardless of the grit :smileup:
Thanks. Yeah I had thought about it for a long time, but was told by several good body shop guys that it would be risky. However after STS1 told me he did it, I began to think about it again but this time more seriously. And today I just went for it !

·
Registered
389 Posts
I learned last year that this process is just fine and totally do-able.

The story goes like this...
My wife, trying to be helpful, washed the 2010 toyota siena minivan we had. This was the top of the line one leather, power everything etc etc. (cut me some slack) She came up stairs and woke me ( I was working the graveyard shift) and said, "I washed the car! But... It turned white all over." At first I thought she just didn't dry it and the hard water spots eas what she meant. But then I went down and looked at it. :SHOCKED:Apparently, in her diligent effort to be thorough she took a green 3m scratch pad to it to get the bug guts and sap off!!!! :doh::eek:

So, i embarked on a wet sanding project of almost the entire car. Using a slightly soapy water and 2k and 3k grit I sanded it all over. I had to use 1200 in a few spots where she really did a good job of removing those bug guts. After that phase i used a couple of meguirs compounds and a rotary buffer. I ended up doing things a few times as i was apprehensive about the process but i realized at the end i could have used higher cutting compounds to start and would have seen quicker/better results.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I used.. Meguiar's. I used fine cut #2 and then swirl remover #9.
That'a pretty wild story about what your wife did...WOW.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
I gotta' give you reps for doing this, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
18,429 Posts
You've got a lot more guts than I do.Interested to see how it turned out.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Reps to you for having the guts to grit your car!!! YIKESS!!!!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,555 Posts
Good job, I was apprehensive of using a DA polisher, I would be chicken to use sandpaper.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
That's cool man, I see, you're right it probably would be hard to tell from just a pic on here. But I agree with the others...major reps to you for having the guts to take sandpaper to your new car and have it turn out great!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all the reps guys...I'm planning on hitting the hood next on Monday. Keep in mind that I wont be getting very close to the emlems, scoops, and edges. But overall, it should be a big improvement. Next in line will be the trunk lid. Will not do the plastic bumpers or the spoiler...a bit too risky. And the top of my roof looks pretty good but for some reason the sides of the roof and upper quarters especially had just too much orange peel for me so it looks like the peel will be reduced by at least 75 percent if I were to estimate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been looking for this subject on my 2014 the orange peel is so bad I actually spoke to my dealer about it. They did not want to touch it without a "cair service" from Chrysler. Since it is a Mopar edition I figured that they would have corrected and defects in the paint.

Wet sand and a buff is the remedy I can do it I just dont have the stones to do it. I'll give Chrysler a call today and see what they want to do but the outcome does not look so hot.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been looking for this subject on my 2014 the orange peel is so bad I actually spoke to my dealer about it. They did not want to touch it without a "cair service" from Chrysler. Since it is a Mopar edition I figured that they would have corrected and defects in the paint.

Wet sand and a buff is the remedy I can do it I just dont have the stones to do it. I'll give Chrysler a call today and see what they want to do but the outcome does not look so hot.
Just keep in mind that the factory paint (the clear coat in this case), is not very thick.
So that means that you can't do a whole lot of sanding. I would not use anything greater than 2000 grit and wet sand with a firm "sponge" then buff using micro finnishing compound. You really need a good body shop to do this if you're not doing it. If the dealer has good people and they're willing to do it, that's great. If not, I know of a fantastic shop in Georgia that several Mopar guys from here have sent their cars to down there. I can find out where it is and let you know if you want..., Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just keep in mind that the factory paint (the clear coat in this case), is not very thick.
So that means that you can't do a whole lot of sanding. I would not use anything greater than 2000 grit and wet sand with a firm "sponge" then buff using micro finnishing compound. You really need a good body shop to do this if you're not doing it. If the dealer has good people and they're willing to do it, that's great. If not, I know of a fantastic shop in Georgia that several Mopar guys from here have sent their cars to down there. I can find out where it is and let you know if you want..., Dave
That sounds great! I did know someone that did a lot of work for Global Imports but we have lost touch.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You certainly have more guts than I do... glad it's working out well. :smileup: Can you post a pic of the orange peel effect in the paint. I have heard about it but don't think I have ever seen it

·
Registered
614 Posts
Very cool Dave. You are one brave soul (although some have said the same to me about drilling my hood pins :D)

I am going to have to see that one in person one of these days.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You certainly have more guts than I do... glad it's working out well. :smileup: Can you post a pic of the orange peel effect in the paint. I have heard about it but don't think I have ever seen it
Orange peel won't show up in a photo unless it was some high resolution photo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts