Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title states guys = washing engine bay and car. cranked it moved to garage popped hood dry everything down, pulled #2 fuse continued wiping down rest of car... had doors open for awhile. Got done with everything replaced fuse, shut hood cleaned windows. Got into to crank did throttle relearn turned ignition off opened door to kill circuit. Tried to crank and it just cranks and won't turnover :4-dontknow::4-dontknow: I'm so worried. Pulled predator out pulled codes

P2101 throttle acuator control motor circuit range performance

P0688 ECM/PCM Relay Sense circuit

i clear them and the P2101 doesn't clear, try to crank again nothing and P0688 comes back.

Please help guys!

Jarrod

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,404 Posts
The only thing I would suggest is leave the hood up over night, remove the engine cover, and Hopefully it will dry out completely.
Also, if you have an air compressor in your garage try reducing the pressure output, & carefully go over the engine in the morning.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Sounds like you got some water/liquid in the IPM.It is the module that is located on the right side of the engine compartment near the washer fluid bottle.You might be able to remove the cover and try to blow it dry with cool air.Also try to blow out any of the wiring harness connections that may have gotten water in them.Also remove the throttle body connecter and dry it out as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i'm hoping me leaving hood up overnight helped. i did leave a fan on the box on the passenger side and unhooked what i could and blew out with my compressor. i guess i won't wash out the engine bay again. after i was done i did get my leaf blower and blow it off real good, not completely dry but decent. and like i said it did crank after that for me to move it to the garage.

i haven't tried this morning, i'm scared, because as my luck goes it won't crank.

if the # 2 fuse doesn't appear blown... and it is, does cranking on it mess something else up too?

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
Doing some digging on the internet i found this stuff: Take it for what it's worth - transmitted info I can not verify with my own limited knowledge!

P2101 signals there is a short between the computer (ECM) and the throttle assy.............. It sounds to me like you have some water in there causing a short.

P0688- ECM Power Relay Load Circuit: Open Circuit

Possible Causes
Fuse(s) faulty
  • Power Supply Relay for Engine Control Module faulty
  • Wiring between Engine Control Module and Power Supply Relay for Engine Control Module faulty......this might be water also causing a short??????
Possible Solutions

• Check/Replace Power Supply Relay for Engine Control Module
  • Check Wiring between Engine Control Module and Power Supply Relay for Engine Control Module
  • Check/Replace Engine Control Module
I would let her dry out real good and hope this solves the problem. Check the manual to see which fuse(s) are related to above items and see if they're blown.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went down stairs and took a leap of faith.... I was internet searching till almost 3AM this morning.

SHE CRANKED!!

I guess something got wet. I WILL NOT wash under hood anymore, I mean this car hasn't even been in the rain! REPS to ALL you GUYS and I only hope I can keep trying to give back to this community as it has given me.

So if washing under the hood seems to be a no-no, what the heck to do now?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
293 Posts
There are ways to wash the engine compartment. First, cover all electrical boxes with something waterproof, like plastic bags and secure them. But, if just a general cleaning, I would just wipe it down with a rag and a cleaner of your choice.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
glad you got her going again... i've sprayed my own engine bays before (not the Challenger) with decent luck... everything was always fine till one time... the car ran like crap (like it was hitting on 4 or 5 out of 6 cylinders... needless to say, i don't do that any more... i always tried not to spray directly onto electrical connections, computers, bascially anything that looked important or expensive... dunno, just the luck to the draw sometimes...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys, you live and learn. I'm 34 and have been washing the "family" cars since about 10yrs old. I have never had a problem until now. I have always stayed away (on these newer one's) the "box's" "connectors" and the like with never having a problem. Thanks for the link, it was just slightly dusty anyways and since i was detailing her thought I'd give that Hemi a wash down... not again! Thanks again guys, so much!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are ways to wash the engine compartment. First, cover all electrical boxes with something waterproof, like plastic bags and secure them. But, if just a general cleaning, I would just wipe it down with a rag and a cleaner of your choice.
doubt I will ever again, that scared tha bahjesus out of me, but if i have too will use 100 bags! lol

Take a look at this thread and how the owner cleaned the engine.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66980&highlight=clean+engine
thanks Coyote, there has to be a better way to detail that engine bay, so looks like I have some more reading to do! thanks.

Cheers:smileup:

·
Banned
360 Posts
If I may, I'd like to share my engine bay washing tips.

1. Cover all exposed wiring in saran-warp or sandwich-warp. It's easy to work with and very clingy. I just wrap it around the areas I percieve to be most sensitive to water.

2. With bigger items like the battery-case, or the filter box and the alternator, I'll use a shopping bag to cover them and use those twist-tix plastic ties found on bags of rye-bread to hold the bags in place.

3. The best engine-bay cleaner is anything that foams. I'll spray that stuff on the engine liberally, however, will try hard not to get it on anything I covered.

4. NEVER use a power washer or a nozzled hose to rinse. Experts have told me that you should use a hose with nothing on the end and just allow free-flowing water to rinse the engine bay. You can use your thumb to moderate the flow of water to give it a stronger spritz in places. This is just as good and allows for easier control of where the water goes.

5.. Once rinsed, clean up the plastic and run the engine. Heck, I jump into mine and go for a 5km ride at 100km/hr to get the engine bay aired out.

Using these steps, I've never had crank issues after a wash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
as the title states guys = washing engine bay and car. cranked it moved to garage popped hood dry everything down, pulled #2 fuse continued wiping down rest of car... had doors open for awhile. Got done with everything replaced fuse, shut hood cleaned windows. Got into to crank did throttle relearn turned ignition off opened door to kill circuit. Tried to crank and it just cranks and won't turnover :4-dontknow::4-dontknow: I'm so worried. Pulled predator out pulled codes

P2101 throttle acuator control motor circuit range performance

P0688 ECM/PCM Relay Sense circuit

i clear them and the P2101 doesn't clear, try to crank again nothing and P0688 comes back.

Please help guys!

Jarrod
You may have fixed it but if your car wont start pull the asd relay take the plastic cover off it and on the side you will find the contact if you push it over so it makes contact and put a pieace of paper behind it so it will keep making contact it should start right up works with all relays so if you go to the track and want your fans to stay on with the engine off pull the fan relay and do the same thing

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,026 Posts
You may have fixed it but if your car wont start pull the asd relay take the plastic cover off it and on the side you will find the contact if you push it over so it makes contact and put a pieace of paper behind it so it will keep making contact it should start right up works with all relays so if you go to the track and want your fans to stay on with the engine off pull the fan relay and do the same thing
This is s NINE year old thread. He fixed the issue a long time ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but this has happened to me as well the codes P2101 and P2118 was thrown.took it to the dealership July 31 at and it’s been there since I was told that I blew a left cyclinder head and the parts has been on back order.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but this has happened to me as well the codes P2101 and P2118 was thrown.took it to the dealership July 31 at and it’s been there since I was told that I blew a left cyclinder head and the parts has been on back order.
I'd get a second opinion if I where you. Those 2 codes are VERY unlikely to indicate a faulty cylinder head. Id personally love for them to explain to me how they made it to that conclusion. Take it to another dealer, tell them nothing about the previous diagnosis and see what they come back with. If you are under warranty you may save your car from being pulled apart for no reason and if you are out of warranty you may save yourself thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m under warranty so it’s covered but I still want to know what caused it to fault out on a 2020 with low miles

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m under warranty so it’s covered but I still want to know what caused it to fault out on a 2020 with low miles
Did you wash under the hood like the original poster? Did you otherwise get anything wet that shouldn't be wet?? Or did this just randomly occur? Even if you didn't get anything wet it still doesn't explain how they determined that you have a blown head and how said blown head triggered those two OBD codes. The whole thing doesn't make sense unless there is considerable missing information. A second opinion is warranted. I wouldn't want anyone tearing down my the engine in my $45k (give or take) car without a detailed explanation on what caused the problem AND how it could possibly be related to the 2 diagnostic codes displayed warranty or not. Sounds to me like they are loading up the parts cannon and blindly replacing stuff on dodges dime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts