Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my SRT to get a small ding fixed last week at a local detailer shop. While I was waiting, I had a hand wash done as well to help get all the salt off. When they were drying my car, they used a Water Blade to get most of the excess water off! I was amazed at this thing! I usually used like 10-12 micro fiber cloths to get the car dry, but with the water blade, you whisk away most of the water, and you use just ONE towel to get the bit of water that is left! It was amazing!!

I just got something similar from Amazon and I can't wait to use it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BEI0JQ

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
Yep it is pretty much a must have for any DIY car washer. Love mine. Just make sure to keep the blade free of dirt to prevent scratches. I usually wipe the blade with a clean towel after each pass.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,558 Posts
I can see the use and benefit! I just can't bring myself to use something like this.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
I can see the use and benefit! I just can't bring myself to use something like this.
Dan, I agree, I think it would make drying the car so much easier, but I would be too scared that I would scratch the car. Maybe we should get HemiMetal to chime in on this!

·
Premium Member
18,504 Posts
X 2. I know others here are happy using a wiper, I can't help think it will scratch the car. Although noisy,I'll stick with the leaf blower.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw them use it on my car last week!! It was amazing! It is very soft silicone type of material that bends with the curves of the car.

Two points they made sure to mention when using it:

1. ONLY use it on a wet surface

2. If you drop it on the ground or aren't sure, then run it under some water and quickly wipe with a micro fiber to make sure you don't have any particulates on it to cause scratching.

It is pretty durable but flexible. When I saw them use it, my jaw dropped to the ground! It was amazing!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL leaf blowers! Talk about overkill!! Hahahah, I can imagine what the neighbors think!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It works great to get the water out of the nooks and crannies and especially on the wheels. I'll take overkill if it gets the job done quicker. :gy:
I am saving up with my wife now to get a house in the next few years, with a garage and drive way. I honestly admit, I would do this too! LOL

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,686 Posts
Dan, I agree, I think it would make drying the car so much easier, but I would be too scared that I would scratch the car. Maybe we should get HemiMetal to chime in on this!
In all fairness, I have never tried a water blade, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying one on my Jeep just to see what how it leaves the surface. I know a few detailers who use them, but most won't. The old axiom applies that the least invasive method is the best way to wash and dry your car, so anything that drags against the surface that creates friction can cause swirling or scratching.

My preferred method combines a leaf blower to remove the standing water followed by blot drying with a microfiber waffle weave drying towel. If you decide to use a leaf blower, do yourself a favor and invest in a cordless model powered by a lithium battery (I use a 40v Sears Craftsman model. Sucker will run for hours!) Cords are not only annoying, but inadvertently dragging it across your paint can also leave light scratches.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I have been using these water blades on all of my cars for probably almost 20 years now. These things will NOT NO WAY NO HOW scratch your car. My last car, 67 Pontiac LeMans which has it's original paint and is now in a museum in TX was washed 2-3 times a week by me as I drove that car DAILY for three years up until 18 months ago.

I used that same water blade on that car every time I washed it and it never once harmed the paint on the car or any other that I have washed including our new Challenger. Those things are THE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been using these water blades on all of my cars for probably almost 20 years now. These things will NOT NO WAY NO HOW scratch your car. My last car, 67 Pontiac LeMans which has it's original paint and is now in a museum in TX was washed 2-3 times a week by me as I drove that car DAILY for three years up until 18 months ago.

I used that same water blade on that car every time I washed it and it never once harmed the paint on the car or any other that I have washed including our new Challenger. Those things are THE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome! I really was astounded when they used it! Took all of 5 minutes to wipe and dry my car, it was amazing! Now I don't need 15 micro fibers in my trunk! Just 2-3!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I use the water blade and one "Absorber" (comes in a clear tube and come in small and large) a man made shammy. Between the two you will NEVER need a towel of ANY kind EVER again. You can dry the entire car in 5 mins! And that is door jambs, under hood and trunk jamb included!

My wife and I can wash and dry our entire car beginning to end in 15 mins. Vacuuming takes another 10. We have it down to a science. Then I use a product called Trim Shine on all the black plastic all the way around the entire car and under the hood. It's water soluble, non greasy and makes anything plastic look like brand new and a million bucks in seconds! We can wash, vacuum and detail our car in less than 45 mins total and it looks like it was professionally done and everywhere we go people ask what it is we use on the plastic parts. We have been using the trim shine for over 20 years now and we buy it by the case directly from Stoner. by far the best stuff ever!

http://www.stonersolutions.com/

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Yep it is pretty much a must have for any DIY car washer. Love mine. Just make sure to keep the blade free of dirt to prevent scratches. I usually wipe the blade with a clean towel after each pass.
Exactly! Make sure it is good quality supple rubber and absolutely be sure you wipe it with a clean towel after EVERY pass to prevent any scratching. I won't wash without it anymore.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,686 Posts
For anyone who wants more background on how detailers feel about water-blading, visit meguiarsonline.com or autogeekonline.net and run a search for water blade threads. There's quite a few of them and the opinions posted on those sites echo many of the same comments in this thread. It's really more of a personal preference thing and the risk is minimal if you take your time and some precaution.

While I occasionally use a leaf blower and blot-drying, I usually just let the water dry on the paint and clean up the water streaks and spots the next morning with a detail spray. But I wash my car with de-ionized water and a no-rinse product so the streaks and spots very easy to clean up. If you are washing with regular tap water, then you should try to dry the residual water ASAP.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Good advice as usual HM, I was hoping you would chime in! I have hard water, so I must wash and dry immediately. I even wash sections of the car and dry them before I move on to the next section (OCD!).

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
notch up another Z learning for me...I've never heard of or seen these before. Seems like a great idea as long as you keep it clean. Used to use something similar for cleaning the shower after use. I too am on hard water so need to dry as soon as I can....thanks Z!!!

·
Dazed & Confused
36,605 Posts
I've been using one for a few years now, have not seen any issues. It gets the water off quickly as I have the water spot issue to. I can't get the water off quick enough just using microfiber towels.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts