Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 SRT8. When I start it on a cold morning (below 20 degrees), it makes a quick "whoop" sound just as the motor kicks in. I don't think it is the serp belt b/c it doesn't do it as the starter is turning the engine...it makes the noise right when the motor starts running on its own. It won't do it if it's warmer outside or the engine is warmed up. I'm guessing maybe the master cylinder or power steering pressurizing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I dont know what it is but mine did the same thing in really cold weather, never could pinpoint it but it went away after a little while adn havent heard it since.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Every GM vehicle I owned from about 1981 on did this but I've never heard it from the Challenger or Jeep yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...I thought I was going crazy...sounds like it might just need time to "break in". Although she's an '08...she's been in storage...so we've only now passed 4000 miles

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Thanks guys...I thought I was going crazy...sounds like it might just need time to "break in". Although she's an '08...she's been in storage...so we've only now passed 4000 miles
I drive my 09 every good weather day and it only has 6000 miles. Gives you an idea of what the weather has been like the last 5 years.:shakehead:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You've got a solid point there. I've heard of folks using blizzak (sp) tires so they can drive their rig in the winter...they just go so overboard with the salt in my area. The running joke is that you need 4wd to get through the Arlington, OH salt mounds.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
Does it only do it on Wednesdays? :4-dontknow:

Whoop whoop!!!

:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No...it only does it when the better half IS NOT in the car with me...that way she can keep saying I'm full of it. Whoop whoop whoop

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the noise is the power steering pump pressurizing. There is a "one liner" about it, in the manual, under power steering. Basically says it will make a noise when you start the engine during cold weather, because the fluids are thick.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
It looks like the noise is the power steering pump pressurizing. There is a "one liner" about it, in the manual, under power steering. Basically says it will make a noise when you start the engine during cold weather, because the fluids are thick.
A possible solution to that would be to switch out the fluid with a quality synthetic ATF fluid like Amsoil, Royal Purple or Redline.

:Hey:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts