Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! For those of you that have had success negotiating a great deal what realistically do you consider a great discount on a TA 5.7/6.4 or similar Challenger you bought 2020/2021 not counting current factory and dealer incentives and chip shortages etc.
What was your best strategy? If it helps we’re in So Cal.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hard to say considering current conditions. I would have said 6-7k off MSRP was a decent deal, but with the shortages, probably 4-5k right now. Does that sound about right guys? I was thinking of going to look at a WB shaker that was advertised at 8.5k off yesterday, but it wasn't in my top two favorite colors. I just checked it again before deciding if I wanted to make the trip today and the price went up by 2.5k! Dang, think I'll have to hold off now. If it was in my favorite color and had the caramel interior, I would have been mighty tempted. Its starting to look like slim pickings finding one I like on the lot anywhere close at the moment. There is a place that has a few 1320's at around 4k off, but they all have basically the same options. Not too bad options, but none of them have the upgraded audio. IDK, it sounds like I can still order one from the place that is advertising 4% under invoice, but he thinks it will take at least 8-12 weeks and the 0% financing could be over by the time it gets here.

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,726 Posts
I would say sticker or a % mark up from MSRP, but I haven’t been shopping. Used are going for top dollar.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Some are trying MSRP or slight markup, but they are nuts. No way I'm paying that. I don't have to buy now and can wait it out. Just look on the car selling sites. The majority are still listed a few grand off list. Problem is I can't find one exactly like I want on the lot. I'm tempted to check out a left over commemorative edition widebody at just over 6k off. But at 53.5k it's still pretty pricey. It is my 2nd favorite color and has all the options, but the only thing I'm not sure of is taking care of the matte finish and it would be a tight fit getting in and out of my garage.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,717 Posts
For every car buyer there is a car buying procedure.

For me, generally I try to work out what the dealer has in the car.

Then I try to get a feel for the market. Some years ago I wanted a MINI. But the cars were very popular and the cars were flying off the lot. Had to pull back and wait several years for demand to cool and then I managed to buy the JCW model for several $K under sticker.

Once I have some confidence in my numbers and I'm that in trying to buy the car at a price under "sticker" Im not fighting a buying frenzy I set my price limit.

I show up at the dealer and to a salesman -- but within earshot of others (sales manager/general manager) -- I state I'm there to buy a car provided a suitable deal can be reached.

I have with me a list of alternate vehicles -- they do not have to be the same vehicle as the one I'm trying to buy and they all want to be priced under what I hope to buy the car for and to be frank the cars do not have to be real alternatives.

The idea is to signal the dealer if he fails to sell you a car you walk off his lot to another dealer's lot and buy a car there. The 1st dealer has lost a sale to another dealer. That's a pretty powerful incentive for the dealer to make a deal.

I have not tried to buy a car recently but I have asked for from a dealer and a used car dealer a buy it now price for my low miles 2020 Scat Pack and the offers have been pretty "generous". In one case the offer went up by $3000 in just under 2 months.

Also, I pass by various new car dealers almost on a daily basis and I see new car inventory down.

Thus right now I'd have to offer is not the time to buy if one is seeking the best (lowest price) deal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
...Thus right now I'd have to offer is not the time to buy if one is seeking the best (lowest price) deal...
RacerX released a video yesterday on the current state of new car inventory at a dealership that usually has a bunch of Challengers in stock.

Funny to see the dealer parking their remaining inventory to make it look like they have more cars than they actually do.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,717 Posts
RacerX released a video yesterday on the current state of new car inventory at a dealership that usually has a bunch of Challengers in stock.

Funny to see the dealer parking their remaining inventory to make it look like they have more cars than they actually do.
In some cases the car dealer lots I pass by are obviously short of cars then I pass by and the lot has more cars. What is happening is the dealer is moving stock/inventory from its overflow storage lot -- often another car lot located some distance away -- to its dealership lot. The local M-B dealer had a Metris van I wanted but it was not on its dealer lot. Salesman said give him 30 minutes and he'd have it brought to me. Found out later it was stored at the 2nd lot located at the dealer's body repair shop some distance (a few miles) away.

With various other dealers I have discovered excessive inventory stored on parking levels of the upper stories of the dealer's building, or in an underground garage or even in a barn like building located on a fenced in and padlocked lot a block or so from the dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There has been a 2020 Hellraisin Challenger SXT sitting on the local dealer's lot for a few months. I finally stopped and took a look at it. Truthfully I wanted to know what drive train it has, just in case I am next to it at the same stoplight. :LOL: Window sticker

Anyway, the dealer is using this technique to make sure they maintain inventory on their lot and to not sell too many cars:

·
Registered
743 Posts
That is crazy. I just realized I have a 1k bonus cash allowance that expires the end of June. I had been scouring the car sale sites, but can't seem to find anything exactly like I want. There are some that are close though. I was going to contact some dealers to see about ordering one later today, but I assume that the bonus cash will not be good if the car arrives after it expires? Anybody know how to search for cars that may not be on the main car sites that may fit most or all of the option boxes you are looking for? I am a little flexible as I'm considering a few different trims, but want specific options for each one and in one of my top color choices too of course.

·
Registered
170 Posts
...I assume that the bonus cash will not be good if the car arrives after it expires?...
I ordered my Scat in April 2020, but did not take delivery until the end of August, so this was an obvious concern for me. What I learned is the rebates lock in when the VIN is assigned. The VIN is also assigned very early in the production process, literally days after placing the order.

I went round and round with my sales droid about this. No way I was going to place an order and get screwed. What would have happened if the rebate expired August 31st and I went to pick it up September 1st? Sorry, it costs $4850 more today than yesterday (Power Dollars rebate). My sales droid was confused because GM actually does the game that way - you get the deals on the day you take delivery, not on the day you place the order. FCA (then) locked in the rebate early in the production process so that I don't have a price change if they are slow to build the car.

Get past the sales droid and get over to the finance guy. They will know the real deal on rebates / bonus cash relative to special orders.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I found 3 or 4 cars in stock that are almost how I would spec them in each of the 3 trims I'm considering if I was ordering and I can't decide. A Sinamon WB with black interior and Alpine (I would have added tan seats and HK) for 5k off, a Sinamon 1320, but has the base audio system (I would have added the carbon package and HK) for 4.4k off, an almost completed loaded Sinamon shaker with tan interior and brass monkey wheels and the AD and dynamics packages (only thing I would have changed would be HK instead on the Alpine in this one. I think I like the looks of this one best too. It is a bit pricey though at 56k, but with the latest updates in trade values, I think I could swing it.

A couple outliers is a left over 50th WB in Octane loaded up for 5k off or a WB shaker in Gomango completely loaded, but with the black seats for nearly 8k off. This one would definitely be the best deal and has the most features, but not sure if I want such a bright color. It looks good, but don't really want to draw unnecessary attention from the state boys. Not that I always speed, because I don't, but just know they really seem to pick on the yellow, bright reds and oranges more.

BTW, I still have the winter wheel and tire set on my Mustang. Do you think it would be a huge deal to take it in to the dealer like that or should I wait until the end of the week when I will have a chance to change them back to the stocks?

·
Registered
170 Posts
...I think I could swing it....
Not sure if you are asking for an opinion or a blessing on any of the vehicles listed.

I'll tell you this about me and my car... I ticked almost every option at the Scat Pack trim. I Ieft off the block heater & hood pins. Some options are an either / or - 2020 didn't mix a Shaker & Widebody (except 50th Anniv), etc. For all the other options, I have absolutely no regrets - carbon & suede, HK, dynamics, tech, sun roof, strut braces, etc. I encourage you to get as many options as you can for the trim level you have selected.

Ultimately you have to be happy with your car, so make the decision that is right for you and don't let any of us Internet experts tell you otherwise. :)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,535 Posts
There has been a 2020 Hellraisin Challenger SXT sitting on the local dealer's lot for a few months. I finally stopped and took a look at it. Truthfully I wanted to know what drive train it has, just in case I am next to it at the same stoplight. :LOL: Window sticker

Anyway, the dealer is using this technique to make sure they maintain inventory on their lot and to not sell too many cars:
View attachment 277509

Saw a Ram TRX for sale online from a dealer that clearly showed base price 70k, sticker price with options was 84k, selling price was $119,950.

Heck of a mark up there.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts