Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
106 Posts
So maybe I should wait as I don't have to buy a new car right now. I just thought it was a good time since trade in values were so high. Just makes me wonder why these guys say they will sell you one with a certain discount and then do not show much interest in actually ordering it. Maybe one will eventually pop up at a dealership with the options I want at some point. I'm not holding my breath though. Another one just came up fairly close in my 2nd favorite color with everything but the carbon package. I hate to settle even on something fairly minor for a car that costs this much though.
The best time is when you are ready. But follow along with me for a minute. Cars are a depreciating asset, so typically they do not go up in value, but in the last 3-5 months almost everything has increased in value. However, the reason they have is because new cars are both scarce, and bringing price premiums. Basically ours cost more, but so do yours. When the new car market stabilizes, the values of used cars will tank.

The problem you have, as I see it, is that you want both the big discounts and incentives from last year, and you want the used car premium from today. If you buy now you pay a premium, but can expect a premium on your trade as well. If you wait you will get discounts and incentives, but the premium on your old car will be gone. There is next to no difference between these 2 scenarios, so just step up and get the car you want. I did in May for my SRT, and traded my wife out her lease 1 year early and upgraded her to a nicer Camry as well.

--Jeff

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm not expecting big discounts at the moment and really just want the couple percent under invoice the couple of dealers left that were quoting me a few weeks ago and a decent trade in. I would really like to use the 0% interest if still available when the car arrives though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to turn in my lease in March 2022.
My dealer has been getting Challengers in, but they don't collect dust.
I've been offered by them (dealer) to pay off the remaining lease payments, penalties, damage, and $2k in my pocket to turn it in to them now.
The buy out in March will be $22K.
At this point, I plan on buying it out, and may be tempted to flip it, but what do I do after that?
I'm going to see about placing an order and have one built (like what I did with this one) now, and see what he can do.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,504 Posts
This conversation is a little older... but I will chime in anyway... Try Treadlighty dot org. Should still be going on... You pay $100 for a years membership. After 30 days, they send you a certificate... take said certificate to any dealer, and you are guaranteed to pay no more than 1% under dealer invoice. That does not include any incentives available at the time of purchase/delivery... in 2016 I ordered a new Scat Pack.. the $100 saved me over $2000 on the price of the car...

Reactions: Derecho

·
Registered
8 Posts
I definitely don't want to wait a whole year, but don't want to get hosed either. I am seeing more places adding "market adjustment" to stock cars now. I don't understand what's up with the two guys I was thinking of ordering from either. The one takes several days to get back to me when I ask a question and has yet to write me up a build sheet with prices and when I told the other guy I was ready to go ahead and order yesterday, he didn't respond like he was in any hurry to do so.
Dpending on what you want to order, the silence might be because they can't help you. Allocation is an issue and order to delivery could be several months at this point. We can't order 2022 yet and we're close to 2021 build out.

Market Adjustment is a matter of supply and demand. Almost all of the cash rebates have gone away, especially on the premium models. Manufacturer's aren't paying the dealers volume bonus like they did before. But like everyone, the rent doesn't change, the fixed costs don't change and dealers don't have the inventory, so they don't have the volume sales to pay the bills, so every sale needs to count.

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
106 Posts
Dpending on what you want to order, the silence might be because they can't help you. Allocation is an issue and order to delivery could be several months at this point. We can't order 2022 yet and we're close to 2021 build out.

Market Adjustment is a matter of supply and demand. Almost all of the cash rebates have gone away, especially on the premium models. Manufacturer's aren't paying the dealers volume bonus like they did before. But like everyone, the rent doesn't change, the fixed costs don't change and dealers don't have the inventory, so they don't have the volume sales to pay the bills, so every sale needs to count.
Well said! This is the entire car business in a nutshell. So what is happening is people who say "I won't pay that", or "No way in hell I pay MSRP or a market adjustment" will get left behind on a car because salesman will not want to deal with them. Meanwhile they want all the money for their trade because the new car shortage has pulled the value of their car up. No chance a store is going to short sell an in demand unit when 25 people behind them will step up.

That's just the brutal reality, so bottom line is pull the trigger on the car you want, or not, either way the car is going to sell.

--Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not expecting big discounts at the moment and really just want the couple percent under invoice the couple of dealers left that were quoting me a few weeks ago and a decent trade in. I would really like to use the 0% interest if still available when the car arrives though.
To be honest, perhaps brutally honest, if you get it for msrp you're doing good. As there aren't many more coming, anything above an R/T base is actually drawing mark up.

We're not going to see a Scat Pack sell for invoice for at least another year at least. Why, well a year and a half ago, at any given time there were over 200 Scat Packs on the ground in Houston. I looked today, and there were 16. Some of which were probably sold this past week.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I actually ordered one at 1% under invoice a couple months ago and it should be arriving any day now. I'm having second thoughts on accepting it though due to the latest talk of everyone going electric and how fast they are going to be. I'm also thinking maybe I should have waited and went with the new Z instead. IDK, at least it sounds like I'm getting a good deal and could always trade out of it if I decide I don't like it or one of the new cars end up being better. I'm still holding my breath to see if he is going to honor the trade in estimate too as Ford is offering me a few grand less for my stang at the moment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1% makes me laugh so they gave you 500 off...i think you should have waited and shaken the tree early next spring..at least around here car lots are starting to fill back up.. but a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
106 Posts
1% makes me laugh so they gave you 500 off...i think you should have waited and shaken the tree early next spring..at least around here car lots are starting to fill back up.. but a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush
I hate to tell you, but the chip shortage will not be gone by spring. We are a long way off from inventory starting to level off. Prices are only going to get higher as competition for shrinking inventory gets even more heated.

And, BTW, if you think the manufacturers haven't noticed the lack of resistance to price increases you are sadly mistaken. They will take this and run with it and MSRP's will climb as fast as they can get away with pushing them. Waiting will cost you money, not save you money.

--Jeff

Reactions: Medsport

·
Registered
878 Posts
I hate to tell you, but the chip shortage will not be gone by spring. We are a long way off from inventory starting to level off. Prices are only going to get higher as competition for shrinking inventory gets even more heated.

And, BTW, if you think the manufacturers haven't noticed the lack of resistance to price increases you are sadly mistaken. They will take this and run with it and MSRP's will climb as fast as they can get away with pushing them. Waiting will cost you money, not save you money.

--Jeff
Right and I got it 1% under invoice and not MSRP (huge difference). The 20k trade in equity on a 5 year old car and 0% interest for 72 months is what really got me excited though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Right and I got it 1% under invoice and not MSRP (huge difference). The 20k trade in equity on a 5 year old car and 0% interest for 72 months is what really got me excited though.
I got mine in November. Employee pricing plus rebates. Of course what iced the deal was that the trade value on my '18 Camaro SS was what I paid for it a year and half before that.

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
Looks like the current standard rebate off of MSRP to me...
The point is, all the other dealers that are tacking on "market price adjustments" for $2,500 or more.
Winter is coming up here. Those cars will be sitting there until May of next year.
-John

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
And as far as worrying about electric cars invading the land and the Challenger (gas Powered) being obsolete, Biden's dream of 50,000 charging stations in the USA, him and Kamel toe will be dead and buryied by that time. California can't even keep the power turned on now. How are they going to charge the batteries?
-John

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,348 Posts
And as far as worrying about electric cars invading the land and the Challenger (gas Powered) being obsolete, Biden's dream of 50,000 charging stations in the USA, him and Kamel toe will be dead and buryied by that time. California can't even keep the power turned on now. How are they going to charge the batteries?
-John
Same here , electric company asking people to conserve a couple of times this year. They are using solar and wind, they ditched the coal sometime back.

Reactions: TheOldGuy

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
106 Posts
Looks like the current standard rebate off of MSRP to me...
Not to mention MSRP less the rebate is still MSRP. The dealer is still getting full MSRP for the car. I'm sure if anyone (TheOldGuy or anyone else) actually WENT to that store in Maine they would find that there are going to be extra fees tacked on. No shot they actually advertise that fact.

--Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
Not to mention MSRP less the rebate is still MSRP. The dealer is still getting full MSRP for the car. I'm sure if anyone (TheOldGuy or anyone else) actually WENT to that store in Maine they would find that there are going to be extra fees tacked on. No shot they actually advertise that fact.

--Jeff
Been car buying with this dealership for over 16 years. Including family members. I've bought 2 Challengers from them. A 2013 RT M6 and a 2016 Scat Pack M6. Always got 13% - 15% off Sticker. If a sales droid won't work with me, I walk away. I don't hang around and hope they will feel sorry for me and change their mind. I don't mind a sales person getting a commission to afford a night on the town but, I'm not going to finance a trip to Hawaii for his entire family.
-John

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
106 Posts
Been car buying with this dealership for over 16 years. Including family members. I've bought 2 Challengers from them. A 2013 RT M6 and a 2016 Scat Pack M6. Always got 13% - 15% off Sticker. If a sales droid won't work with me, I walk away. I don't hang around and hope they will feel sorry for me and change their mind. I don't mind a sales person getting a commission to afford a night on the town but, I'm not going to finance a trip to Hawaii for his entire family.
-John
Things are not the same now as they were in 2016. If they'll give you a courtesy and discount the car, good on ya. But nobody is going to discount a hard to find car in the current market. And believe me, paying over sticker is not going to generate a commission high enough to send the salesman (droid to you I guess, no dishonor in this profession and they do not deserve that kind of disrespect) to Hawaii, let alone his/her whole family.

--Jeff

21 - 40 of 46 Posts