Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped off after Church today to grab a coffee. A young man had parked his Mustang near the entrance of the coffee shop and was talking with a young girl (I guessed it was his girlfriend). Nice Mustang, probably a 2005/2006 model. From the way he was showing off the car, he must have just purchased it.

As I approached the couple, the girl asked why the hood pins were installed on the hood. The guy explained that it was to prevent someone from jacking the engine. I passed by, but after a few steps I paused, mentally shook my head, and turned around and came back.

I complimented the guy on his Mustang. He thanked me and asked me if I drove one. I pointed out my Challenger parked in the south 40 and his girlfriend chirps in with "Oooh! That's what you should have bought!" Inside, I'm LOL'ing, but I digress... ;)

I mention that I overheard their conversation as I walked up and I asked him if he knew the racing heritage of hood pins, and he answered no. So I briefly explained that the hood pins were originally conceived in the late 60's/early 70's as a way to prevent the hoods on muscle cars from flying open at the racetrack as they launched. I added while the concept remains today, it's really more of a redundant precaution since hoods on modern day vehicles like his Mustang and my Challenger have fail-safe latching mechanisms.

I then asked the kid why he thought his hood pins were a theft deterrent? He answered that he saw an episode of the 1980's CHiP's series on Nickelodeon last year where two guys cruised the highways in a pickup installed with an engine hoist in the bed, looking for disabled cars. They would trick the driver into walkng down the highway to look for a callbox. Then the two guys would jack the engine and take off before the driver returned. He deducted that hood pins were to prevent that kind of theft!

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Reps for your Patience, and teaching skills !!

I pick and choose also but find that to many times now even if you know for fact what you are talking about too many "Car Guys" now dont want to listen and think You need to prove your facts to them .

Edit Well got to spread some so the all might forum rep counter says so someone help me out and Rep him LOL

·
Registered
738 Posts
Too funny, you should have asked him what a transmission blanket was for... why to keep it warm of course! lol.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Does he seriously believe that two small hood pins would keep a thief from jacking the engine??????

Way to school a kid that needs to learn a little more about American Muscle!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does he seriously believe that two small hood pins would keep a thief from jacking the engine??????

Yep. I also brought up the point that if a thief were going to jack his engine, the thief would have tin-snips or garage shears with him to cut the hoses and harnesses - tools that would also easily cut through the hood pin cables. I think that's when I saw the glaze of realization in his eyes. ;)

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,421 Posts
Good job John of teaching without preaching!!

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,957 Posts

I pick and choose also but find that to many times now even if you know for fact what you are talking about too many "Car Guys" now dont want to listen and think You need to prove your facts to them .

Edit Well got to spread some so the all might forum rep counter says so someone help me out and Rep him LOL
Rep accomplished!

Great story!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That's OK, Kilo1, I appreciate the nod nonetheless.

Good job John of teaching without preaching!!
Thanks Betty. Ears tend to open when you don't stand behind the pulpit!
great lesson given!!
Thanks Andy. I wasn't intending to be a 2 minute perfessor, just kinda happened that way ;)

Rep accomplished!

Great story!
Thanks Theresa! We all teach each other, don't we? Hope the kid pays it forward some day :smileup:

·
Registered
3,711 Posts

:hah: you just need to drill out the hood pins a little bigger and install a pair of padlocks... :smileup: boom! fort knox!

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
John, you are a Class Act for taking the time to properly explain the accessory he had attached to his Mustang! You may have woke up the car bug in him and gave him a whole new prospective........never believe what you watch on TV and talk to a "real" car guy for guidance. Reps to you Brother!

P.S. I watched that episode of CHPs he was referring to many years ago.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Great teachable moment and for taking the high road! Reps Inbound!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts