Dodge Challenger Forum banner

25101 - 25120 of 25154 Posts

·
Trigger657
2,005 Posts
Since I'm outa Projects for the time being, I figured I'd Work on getting the engine bay cleaned up. Bunch of you gave me some good ideas I'm using now. Figured it'd be the best time to do a good engine compartment cleanup, since I had to pull the hood to remount the Cervini Ram Air cover. Much easier on a table....

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
2,958 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Rick, Love that ideal. Were you able to remove the factory bulb? Or what did you do with that. Havent been into that part yet.
Hi Ron. Thank you! I had to do something with those things! I removed the entire pod, which encloses the LED and the circuit board. I used some 3M automotive trim tape to wrap around the shank of the bezel and then wrapped a strip of black foam that was the same width as the 3M tape and about 1/4" thick around onto the 3M tape. (You could also use some sort of adhesive other than two-sided tape...it was just convenient at the time). This made the shank slightly larger in diameter than the hole in the headliner and the foam gave enough fill and tension to keep it in the pod hole. The bezels snap off very easily and you could use the old ones...I purchased new ones just in case.

I didn't think of it at the moment, Ron, and I could've done it slightly differently. Using the same bezel and after removing the pod, I could've opened up the pod cover, which snaps open, and removed the LED and circuit board (or just the LED). I could've then wrapped or painted over the lens and reinstalled the unit back into the headliner. The end result would be the same.

Since I didn't know the guts of the pod could be removed and the case be reused, I was trying to think ahead and have everything needed in hand before I took down the headliner. It still looks OEM and I like it much, much better. I'm away from the house, but I'll get a photo as soon as I get home and post it. If I can help, please let me know.
Rick

·
Registered
2,416 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Since I'm outa Projects for the time being, I figured I'd Work on getting the engine bay cleaned up. Bunch of you gave me some good ideas I'm using now. Figured it'd be the best time to do a good engine compartment cleanup, since I had to pull the hood to remount the Cervini Ram Air cover. Much easier on a table....
View attachment 262549
View attachment 262550
When I first looked at your photo in your post, I thought I saw a red and black sawzall to the right of the hood. I broke out in a cold sweat and got nervous! I looked closer and saw a deep socket on the end. Whew...what a relief!

·
Trigger657
2,005 Posts
When I first looked at your photo in your post, I thought I saw a red and black sawzall to the right of the hood. I broke out in a cold sweat and got nervous! I looked closer and saw a deep socket on the end. Whew...what a relief!
Must know how I am... He he he ..

·
What's Old is New Again!
37,728 Posts
While it’s drizzling outside, replaced the spark plugs in the Challenger. Has already gapped and put anti-seize on the threads. Used a q-tip and put dielectric grease in the boots. Even took the coil connectors off and put a little dielectric grease on those connections.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,551 Posts
Great photo, Betty! Can you tell any difference in the handling performance between this SP and your old one? I was able to tell a difference between the tire/rim width and it's handling with mine. I also noticed that the Pirelli 275/40 AS seemed to flat spot easier than the Goodyear RS-A 245/45 AS tires. I'm planning to purchase two sets of the Race Ramp Flatstoppers to park my SP on while I'm not driving it. The reviews are good.
So far I really haven't noticed much difference, but I have just gotten over the break in period. I do notice the gas mileage is a lot lower with the new one. I was getting 25-28 mpg. with the old Scat. This one is 21-23 so far. I think that will improve over time. But even if it doesn't, I don't really mind!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,056 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
So far I really haven't noticed much difference, but I have just gotten over the break in period. I do notice the gas mileage is a lot lower with the new one. I was getting 25-28 mpg. with the old Scat. This one is 21-23 so far. I think that will improve over time. But even if it doesn't, I don't really mind!
Mine's been about 15.7 in town. But like you said, I don't really mind. I knew it wouldn't have great gas mileage because it's a high performance car...and I love the performance!

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hi Ron. Thank you! I had to do something with those things! I removed the entire pod, which encloses the LED and the circuit board. I used some 3M automotive trim tape to wrap around the shank of the bezel and then wrapped a strip of black foam that was the same width as the 3M tape and about 1/4" thick around onto the 3M tape. (You could also use some sort of adhesive other than two-sided tape...it was just convenient at the time). This made the shank slightly larger in diameter than the hole in the headliner and the foam gave enough fill and tension to keep it in the pod hole. The bezels snap off very easily and you could use the old ones...I purchased new ones just in case.

I didn't think of it at the moment, Ron, and I could've done it slightly differently. Using the same bezel and after removing the pod, I could've opened up the pod cover, which snaps open, and removed the LED and circuit board (or just the LED). I could've then wrapped or painted over the lens and reinstalled the unit back into the headliner. The end result would be the same.

Since I didn't know the guts of the pod could be removed and the case be reused, I was trying to think ahead and have everything needed in hand before I took down the headliner. It still looks OEM and I like it much, much better. I'm away from the house, but I'll get a photo as soon as I get home and post it. If I can help, please let me know.
Rick
Thanks for the detailed writeup. Was hoping to not to have to drop the headliner.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Rick, Love that ideal. Were you able to remove the factory bulb? Or what did you do with that. Havent been into that part yet.
Here's one of the bezels with a hole plug and pushed into the lamp hole.
IMG_0850.JPG

Here's a breakdown of the lamps:

#1: Photo taken from the inside of the housing.

IMG_0851.JPG

#2: Photo taken from the outside of the housing
IMG_0852.JPG

This one is how it looks taken out of the car. Note that FCA used a clear glue to hold the lamp's plug to the headliner. Mine had a lot of glue and it was more than I could get to loosen, so I had to cut the wires. I could splice them back together if ever needed.

IMG_0853.JPG

Reactions: RonB

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Gotta see what makes something tick no matter what it takes to get in there. I have 2 of them Sawzalls.....:mad:
ROFLMBO!! I'm right there with ya' on that one. My mom used to tell my dad, "give it to him and he'll have it apart in a few minutes."

·
Trigger657
2,005 Posts
ROFLMBO!! I'm right there with ya' on that one. My mom used to tell my dad, "give to him and he'll have it apart in a few minutes."
Example: Came home from working with my Dad on his boat one time. I was about 13 years old. Been out about 3-4 weeks. My little bike (Suzuki 50) Won't start. Up and coming mechanically minded kid I was. I pulled the head off. Got a thick stick and a hammer. Put the stick on the top of the piston and knocked the sh---t out of it. Put it back together went riding. Bike didn't last long for some reason. Had to upgrade....🤷‍♀️

25101 - 25120 of 25154 Posts