thermocouple is made into the control box...no way to replace it separately

·
Registered
500 Posts
Didn't say that........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Woke up this morning 0430 to get ready for work....but when washing my hands prior to brushing my teeth, I noticed the water wasn't hot like it should be.

Hmmm.....

Go check on the hot water heater (gas) and the pilot light is out....uh-oh. Tried to relight it, and it would light, but not stay lit, and the status light blinked 7 times...which means a gas control valve failure...ON A 5 YR OLD HEATER !!! Warranty is barely still good for parts only, but no one will answer me as to how long that would take to get done or reimbursed for.

Had a tech come out today (stayed home and did the work from home thing) and the part is $280 and won't be here till mid next week best case, and the labor and all to fix it will be $500 or so total.

Or I can get a brand new one installed for just over 2x that value and have a 6 yr warranty tomorrow before lunch. My knee and hip can't take a cold shower...I'd be in too much pain to crawl out of the tub.

So maybe tomorrow I can take a shower again.

As I always tell people....If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all !!!!!!!!!

I did ask the tech if he'd knock $100 or so off of the bill if I took him for a ride in the SRT............didn't work.........
$500 for an hour's worth of work? I recently replaced my propane hot water heater with a new one from Home Depot because it started leaking from the tank somewhere, not a fitting. It cost me about $500.00 for a 40 gallon tank, and a local plumber installed it for $100.00. The Home Depot installer wanted $800.00 to do the job, and I told him he wasn't going to get $400 an hour from me. BTW, it took more time to finish draining the tank than it did to install it.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Well your toilet seat is bolted to your toilet, and this morning , I did not know the stupid bolt had rusted through and broke off , so the toilet seat was sliding around, I think the hardware store sells a kit for replacement bolts for your toilet seat, I did not want to leave the house to go see. I went out to the garage and looked through my stash of nuts, washers, and bolts.........I got very lucky and found a set that would work, thank God, I put it all together, I didn't want my wife to use a toilet with a seat sliding around. So far that is what I have done today. Oh, I put the toilet in the house 22 years ago, so I can't complain at all. I think today those bolts are made of plastic.

·
Registered
500 Posts
$500 for an hour's worth of work? I recently replaced my propane hot water heater with a new one from Home Depot because it started leaking from the tank somewhere, not a fitting. It cost me about $500.00 for a 40 gallon tank, and a local plumber installed it for $100.00. The Home Depot installer wanted $800.00 to do the job, and I told him he wasn't going to get $400 an hour from me. BTW, it took more time to finish draining the tank than it did to install it.

part was 280 bucks by itself....labor and charge for visit came to almost 200

the one I am replacing is a home depot unit....not super pleased with it, and it was damaged...everyone they had was.....but it's harder to get parts for

The old one was like 800 total when I got it and had it installed almost 6 yrs ago

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
C3B57FC2-DFC6-491D-9515-A62E6C0C5908.jpeg
I’ve been splitting wood the last few days. Between the recent retirement and the stay at home order this is my new hobby for a few days. It was a pretty good sized oak tree that was ready to fall on a small one car garage we own. A guy in a bucket truck took it down for me.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Cleaned up my work shop. To try and say I organized it would be a lie since I'm always getting something to work on something around the house. Re-polished the foyer wood floor.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Well your toilet seat is bolted to your toilet, and this morning , I did not know the stupid bolt had rusted through and broke off , so the toilet seat was sliding around, I think the hardware store sells a kit for replacement bolts for your toilet seat, I did not want to leave the house to go see. I went out to the garage and looked through my stash of nuts, washers, and bolts.........I got very lucky and found a set that would work, thank God, I put it all together, I didn't want my wife to use a toilet with a seat sliding around. So far that is what I have done today. Oh, I put the toilet in the house 22 years ago, so I can't complain at all. I think today those bolts are made of plastic.
Use brass hardware and it won't be a problem.

part was 280 bucks by itself....labor and charge for visit came to almost 200

the one I am replacing is a home depot unit....not super pleased with it, and it was damaged...everyone they had was.....but it's harder to get parts for

The old one was like 800 total when I got it and had it installed almost 6 yrs ago
I special ordered mine. They had the same capacity tank in the store, but with less BTUs, at a higher price, and the same manufacturer.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,164 Posts
Woke up this morning 0430 to get ready for work....but when washing my hands prior to brushing my teeth, I noticed the water wasn't hot like it should be.

Hmmm.....

Go check on the hot water heater (gas) and the pilot light is out....uh-oh. Tried to relight it, and it would light, but not stay lit, and the status light blinked 7 times...which means a gas control valve failure...ON A 5 YR OLD HEATER !!! Warranty is barely still good for parts only, but no one will answer me as to how long that would take to get done or reimbursed for.

Had a tech come out today (stayed home and did the work from home thing) and the part is $280 and won't be here till mid next week best case, and the labor and all to fix it will be $500 or so total.

Or I can get a brand new one installed for just over 2x that value and have a 6 yr warranty tomorrow before lunch. My knee and hip can't take a cold shower...I'd be in too much pain to crawl out of the tub.

So maybe tomorrow I can take a shower again.

As I always tell people....If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all !!!!!!!!!

I did ask the tech if he'd knock $100 or so off of the bill if I took him for a ride in the SRT............didn't work.........
Gary and I are definitely living on "borrowed" time with our hot water heater. It is also gas, and it is 30 years old! I keep thinking, any day now we are going to be without hot water. Want to replace it, hopefully this year.

·
26,164 Posts
View attachment 248059 I’ve been splitting wood the last few days. Between the recent retirement and the stay at home order this is my new hobby for a few days. It was a pretty good sized oak tree that was ready to fall on a small one car garage we own. A guy in a bucket truck took it down for me.
I want that tractor, I want that tractor, I WANT THAT TRACTOR!

·
26,164 Posts
Cleaned out 4 flower beds the last two days. Rain has stopped and it is nice today, might do that again, have 6 more to go! I actually enjoy it!! Use one of these mats when I need to get on the ground, much better that bending over, which isn't good for your back. I also use them if I want to do some work on the car and don't want to bend over. Also use an old chair cushion or my little portable stool.

78801.JPG

One of my favorite annuals that I will plant again this year. Glad I saved the tag.

56761.JPG

This pic was taken in August, and here is the tag from the nursery:

78811.JPG

78821.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Worked on some office drawings, Son-in-law brought his trailer over, started building shelving and a work bench in the front.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Gary and I are definitely living on "borrowed" time with our hot water heater. It is also gas, and it is 30 years old! I keep thinking, any day now we are going to be without hot water. Want to replace it, hopefully this year.
Here you go...
Amazon.com: Camping Blue Enamel Tea Kettle 2 4/5qt: Teakettles: Kitchen & Dining

·
Registered
500 Posts
3101 - 3120 of 3269 Posts