Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, by definition it's an American term for high-performance coupes, usually but not limited to rear wheel drive cars fitted with a high-performance engine. Many come to mind but one of the first that fits is the 32 ford. How many more? J3 Olds comes to mind as well but think up some more and post them here with pics.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, don't work as only one of this series and not even a Model B.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
From what I know, the Pontiac GTO was one of the first muscle cars.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be incorrect grasshopper. One of the earliest muscle cars ran with twin H power and was the scourge of NASCAR. Care to guess what it was>

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You ask a question, then you answer the question, then when someone comments and you tell them they're wrong. What's the point of this thread?
The point is for fun. Take a pill and stay out if you're not knowledgeable enough to participate.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
This thread brings back memories of that "other" forum I was on and the main reason I left it. Neither of you original posters are totally right or totally wrong and arguing is pointless, as it just turns into a classic battle of ego's. The thing is, the basic reason we're all here is because we love Mopars and Challengers in particular. One would think our thoughts would be more negative towards the Mustang's and Camaro's rather than "checking" one of our own who possibly doesn't need or want that highest level of performance. Even more to the point, what with this Pandemic thing going on, why are things like this even important to bicker over? What I'd suggest is that we should avoid creating a "stacking order" here - what positive purpose could that possibly bring to this forum? With that being said, there still should be room for simple basic disagreement on various topics, but there should be no need to carry on needlessly about things to the point that it looks like "thread warfare". In my opinion the reason this forum works so well is because we often-times share idea's and as a result learn things from each other. The guys with SXTs or plain R/T's sometimes have styling and customizing ideas that could be applied to the higher performance level cars and visa-versa. It can combine to be a healthy "mix" for all the members as a result of that.

The are various real reasons that people by the trim and power level that they do. Some owners buy their Challengers with ultimate performance in mind and and also have a budget or financing package that allows them to acquire all the performance options to make that happen. If that's what you want, there's no reason to think twice about making it happen. Other owners are simply testing the waters and are perfectly happy buying a similarly great looking entry level Challenger with lower performance, such as an SXT or R/T 5.7 (with perhaps the Plus package), due to the fact that there's much less of a standard maintenance cost as compared to a car with Brembo's and other high-po parts. It might also be that their location is very urban with lot's of traffic or poor roads where buying horsepower would be an expensive waste the majority of the time. I've seen several owners of SXT's and base R/T's here on this forum who have traded-up as time goes buy to a higher level model as money and circumstances change. As long as I can remember there have always been cars for "Show" and cars for "Go" and I have often liked both types. To be perfectly honest the average driver that you meet on the street in traffic could really not "give a care" whether your car has 305 or 840hp since a car, to vast majority of them, is just a way to get them from one location to another and still have the freedom that comes with being independent.

To me one of the main reasons I've alway liked being a member of this forum is for the simple fact that we all seem to get along without calling each other out unnecessarily or by putting anyone down just because you disagree with something they said. I personally don't agree with the word "musclecar" being tied to the V6 SXT models, but they certainly are farily quick for what they are and, truth be told, they are nearly as fast or faster than some 1980's era "muscle" cars (as the OP correctly highlighted). In our current automotive world a Tesla electric car can whip a Scat in the quarter and I'm sure there are some twin turbo V6 sports cars that can give them a run for their money as well, so it works both ways I guess.

In conclusion, and to add my take on the original arguement about using the term "Musclecar", I believe it can only be correctly applied to the affordabley priced 60's and 70's mid-sized, original, non-computerized factory cars with big displacement V8 engines. I believe that is the era where the term originally came from. No matter how fast you think your car is, 3.6L or 6.4L, you'll eventually run into somebody that's going to make you eat your ego for lunch. Enjoy your Challenger, whether it's a V6 or V8, because one day they might not be around any longer the way this old world is going.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are right, of course. Just got a little irritated and probably unnecessarily. My apologies.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hudson Hornet. They dominated NASCAR in their day.
Right. A family friend had one. As a pre-schooler, I think I was already a car guy. This may have been the first car I ever saw "peel out". He had a fox tail on the roof mounted antenna and a "wolf whistle". I was totally impressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.