Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new pcp shaker challenger but it seems to sit too high on all four corners. I'd like to get it lowered somewhat and was wondering which brand or maker of suspension kits everyone is using.

I have watched several of the youtube videos on how to install the suspension kits and it does not look too difficult. Did you do the install yourself or did you have it done?

It looks like the compressing of the springs onto the front shocks is the hardest part.

I'm looking at the Eibach Pro Kit. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in a fairly small town of 52,000 in western Arizona so pro shops are hard to come by.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the Eibach pro kit and, overall, I like it. One caution, I bottom out frequently when I drive over more of the large dip type bumps versus the holes, ripples, etc. For example, a road patch that is not exactly level and longish. I don't know if I'm describing this correctly. Speed bumps are always going to be an issue but you really have to slow down, in some cases you have to creep over. In my list of mods, this one is lower on the list of improvement bang for the buck. There is always a consideration of the fact that I did lower the car (in normal day to day driving) with constant vigilance to the road surface and I probably bottom out once a month or so. It looks great and the handling is a bit improved (though not as much as the strut tower brace did to the handling) so for me it was a bit of a meh. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OH yeah, your install question. I had it done, it cost $300. Any competent shop should be able to handle it as replacement is not really that complicated. I would have done it myself, I've done all of the other work, but with my luck the spring compressor would slip off and I'd have a spring or the compressor embedded in my head.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I installed the Eibach pro springs on my '11 challenger myself. I liked it very much. If I did it again(which I will very soon on my '14) I would get the spring/damper kit. On the last one I did just the springs. It looked awesome, cornered unbelievable, definitely a stiffer ride. But I am thinking/hoping the combo of spring/damper tuned for each other will take the edge off the harshness as opposed to just spring with stock shocks. To me it was one of my favorite mods and it will be my first mod to the new car.

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
I have the Eibach pro kit and, overall, I like it. One caution, I bottom out frequently when I drive over more of the large dip type bumps versus the holes, ripples, etc. For example, a road patch that is not exactly level and longish. I don't know if I'm describing this correctly. Speed bumps are always going to be an issue but you really have to slow down, in some cases you have to creep over. In my list of mods, this one is lower on the list of improvement bang for the buck. There is always a consideration of the fact that I did lower the car (in normal day to day driving) with constant vigilance to the road surface and I probably bottom out once a month or so. It looks great and the handling is a bit improved (though not as much as the strut tower brace did to the handling) so for me it was a bit of a meh. Just my opinion.
You just brought up the exact reason I've not lowered yet. Being in Mass my Eibach Sportline lowered 93 Trans am was constantly hitting the hard stops over road dips, frost heaves, pot holes and pot hole fixes. Currently my Challenger doesn't have any of this behavior plus I love the way my car handles with STP. Drropping it another inch might look great visually but if I swapped springs and then was "bottoming out" I'd be really disappointed I'd changed it.

If I did swap I'd go with Mopar Stage one springs but I'll do other mods first since that one makes me nervous.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Ditto what mschipa and Jay said. My car was lowered 4" with coilovers. I'll have to check the brand. It looks killer and the car does handle better; especially with curves. But...like they said; watch out for entranceways that are not completely level and speed-bumps - have to creep over them as well. The other day there was a shoe on the roadway. By the time I noticed I could only straddle it. Yup - I felt it. 2" lowering would have been better. This is really out of my realm of expertise but it seems like I read about a kit that is activated similar to air shocks? Raise and lower it as you like and there is even a compressor in the trunk so you can do it wherever you are stopped. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Also, tell me about the engine bay braces? Where and how much? Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I have the Eibach Pro Kit on my STP R/T.....I never bottom out and I'm dropped 2" on all 4 corners, but I also drive super cautiously on dips and bumps. My neighbor and I did the intall....he has a spring compressor.....it wasn't the easiest thing to do. We got it done in about 2 hours.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mschipa - By bottoming out, do you mean just hitting the bump stops or do the tires make contact with the fenders? I'm also considering the pro kit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just the bump stops but it "hurts" and I cringe every time I do.

I bought a four point strut tower brace, there are several brands available. I wanted a four point brace rather than a strut brace that joins the two strut towers. It did require holes drilled in the firewall (though not really in the firewall, more like in the lip at the top of the firewall). Not hard at all as I just mounted the brace and then drilled straight through the holes in the brace. Easy.

As for handling, when I first drove it with the strut tower brace I was oversteering into the other lane. I thought something was wrong until I figured out that the steering was more precise. Much better bang for the buck. I've not done the back strut brace as yet and I don't know if I will. If I were ever to road race I would but I'm not at this point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you go with the prokits you might as well get the sway bars as well. I have this setup on my SRT, and had it on my R/T Charger before.

Rear bar install is pain but well worth it

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Runningwithbeers - where are you in MA?
I'm in Holden Ma.

"Also, tell me about the engine bay braces? Where and how much?"

I have the speedlogix/razors edge 4 point front strut brace ($300.00) and my impression is it made the car more responsive to steering input. I'd describe it as the car turning in quicker than it had prior to adding the brace by hundredths or tenths of a second. I didn't think the car was a slouch before but I do feel the change while driving on curvy roads.

My rear bar install will probably be this weekend.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
166 Posts
Winchester MA here.

I too thought the steering response was much quicker which led to the oversteering for the first few miles when I first drove it after the installation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts