Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking, currently own a MazdaSpeed3. Nice car, fun car, isn't a muscle car. :) Owned several Fbodies including 400 Trans Ams, an LT1 Formula, etc... and I am about to get back into these cars.

Here's my dilemma: I am trying to decide between the Challenger R/T, a Camaro SS, and a Mustang GT (2011). What made you decide on your Challenger? I wish $ wasn't an issue, otherwise I'd grab an SRT8, but my budget is going to be likely around $35k tops.

Pete

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
For me I never cared for Ford's it was pretty much Chevys n Mopars for me growing up. That same mentality has carried over to my old age I guess. So, I tried out the Camaro and the Chally which both were 6 cyl. as that was what I was gonna get. The Camaro had good power but it was difficult to see out of and the ride was rough. I got in the Chally and it was like a perfect fit ! The ride was luxury, the view was spectacular but it did lack power. I ordered the six even though it had less power but later my pa talked me into the 8 so I went with the R/T....... they say your parents know best:4-dontknow:
After having it for 9 months I would do the same exact thing over again....I luv the car !:smileup:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I love muscle cars of the 60's & 70's. The Challenger is most like those eras. Plus there isn't many out there (even though there are tons of us here) like the Mustang, and now the Camaro.
Nevermind the joke of a muscle car GTO's were when they came out.

·
More Than Just A Car
20,491 Posts
The Challenger/ Cuda have always been one of my favorite cars, so when I saw the concept car...it was a no brainer ...it was love at first site. I was excited to hear about the Camaro making a come back till I saw it, Its pretty hard to beat the Challenger for looks and comfort and still get some pretty nice performance....plenty for me anyway. I have never really been a Mustang fan yet I respect the car and its heritage and certainly Carol Shelby...but again,you just can't beat the styling and comfort of the Challenger. Paint it in Hemi Orange or any color for that matter and you have a Grand Slam in my books.

·
Wolf in Sheeps clothing
997 Posts
I don't recall the "muscle era" like a few of our seasoned vets here on the site. But as long as I remember, I have been a fan of muscle cars. In fact, around 11 or 12 yrs of age, I would build model cars. They always were either a Charger or Challenger from the 70's of course. And being a fan of Dukes of Hazzard helped.

I saw the Challenger concept car unveiled prior to 2008 and within a milli-second knew that I wanted to own a new Challenger. I wanted a unique, Great looking car and I found it!! It was an absolute no brainer decision for me. The HP is great in the R/T and it has been a blast adding new mods here and there to make it my own.

:head3:

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
i went and bought a charger first because if you remember the challenger when it first came out it was anywhere from 40000 to 70000 and i could not afford one, so i waited til they came down, plus i went and drove the camaro and didnt like it at all, you could not see out of it and the comfort was not good at all. when i drove the challenger it felt like my charger did comfortable. i wouldnt trade it for any ford or chevy

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
The biggest reason is I've been into Mopars since the mid 1980's. I owned a 70 Challenger for about 15 years. Even ignoring my natural bias towards the Challenger, it is the best looking by far of the three you mentioned. The Mustang isn't bad, I don't know what to say about the Camaro. I don't dislike the Camaro, it just doesn't cut it in terms of the retro look.

The three bigest reasons I bought it is
1. Looks
2. Performance
3. Comfort

I got into a loaded 2010 RT Classic for about $34,000, which was about 10% less than sticker price.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Okstrat (what does that name mean, anyway?)

You have to decide. I can tell you my reasons, and I will, but there are so many car choices due to so many tastes.
Like you, I was an F body man (still am) and a die hard GM/Pontiac man all the way. Figured I'd buy a new Camaro. However, when they came out, I test drove one. Nice power and decent looking, but lacking in creature comforts. Mine was to be a daily driver. So here are my criteria, similar to the ones posted by someone else:

Ride/Comfort
Looks
Speed

The Challenger beats Camaro and Mustang in the first two categories, hands down. Luckily, price wasn't a factor because my R/T listed for close to $38k. I could've gotten a Camaro or Mustang for a few thousand less. But I wasn't ready to spend an extra $7k for the SRT8 just for a few more ponies. I may move up to one in a year or two - we'll see. Good luck on your decison. But definitely test drive the cars. Highway, rough roads, etc. Get to know them. If you have to, rent one for a day from Avis (that is what I did!).

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ride, room, comfort, performance, looks, styling, all of these things beat the others hands down, I owned a Mustang and it was nice but my wife hated the seating, the camaro has no resemblance to anything from it's gloried past and is small inside, hard to see out of, there are more of them on the road after one year of production than 3 years of challengers and by the way did I mention ride, room comfort, performance, looks and styling??

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okstrat = ok (oklahoma) strat = stratocaster, I'm a guitar player/collector/gig weasel.

Good points guys, I appreciate the input. I haven't driven any of the three yet, doing my homework first and making sure I have all my financial details in hand before I test drive.

So far, on the Challenger...
+ Styling/looks. I love these cars.
+ Not everywhere like mustangs are. I probably see 30+ mustangs for every challenger.
+ more of a cruiser/comfortable car - sure I love having high performance, but it sucks having a car that rattles over every bump.
+ could carry gear for gigs in one easily, the trunk is cavernous.
+ likely can get discount off sticker price... good luck on a camaro doing that
- not as fast for the $ as the GT or SS
- gas mileage
- large and heavy
- reliability issues (which honestly I would have with any of the three... my '96 LT1 Formula spent a lot of time getting warranty issues fixed.)

Does Dodge offer a extended warranty?

Pete

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got an extended bumper to bumper on mine for $1,400.00 if I remeber correctly. This carries it from the 3 year 36K to 7 year 75K. I figured with the price of dealer service rates and parts if I had any problems I could hit that $1,400.00 pretty quick

·
Registered
397 Posts
All dealers offer extended warranty. They are purchased in the Finance Dept. Even some insurance companies-but look out for them.

·
Believe . . . . . . just believe!
6,047 Posts
Yes Dodge offers an extended warranty, I got the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on my SRT.

I had a 73 that I bought in late 81. It was an insurance total that my Dad and brother (they had a body shop) straightened and painted for me. I couldn't afford a big block car or R/T then, never mind the hemi.
I sold that for financial reasons and promptly bought a 72 but never got it fixed the way I did my 73. I sold it in 2001 because I could no longer work on it, by then I had owned a Challenger for pretty much most of my adult life. I figured my Challenger days were over, the originals are almost unobtainable price wise unless they're a basket case.
You don't see that many women in Challengers even today but back then they were even fewer and farther between, most of they guys then thought they were chick's cars. I always wanted an R/T or T/A or Hemi car which is why I got the SRT, the 6 speed is the icing on the cake. I love it when they ask my husband how he likes it and he tells them to ask me.
Gas milage and power weren't that much of a factor but the warranty was, I'm Challenger blind! :4-looney:

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Your assesement is pretty good except a couple of points. I think you will find the gas mileage is as good as a Camaro or Mustang.

I keep reading about the Challenger being a big heavy car, but it doesn't drive like one. I notice the width more than anything. We have a 300C, so maybe I'm used to it. You want a small nimble car that gets good mileage, get one of those little hybrids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What made me buy my challenger? Midlife crisis? NO, something a bit more mundane, i missed my 70 Cuda'.

Some background.
You see i moved from texas after retiring from the military and over the last 20 years had been slowly restoring my 70 Cuda to its former glory. Upon selling my house in texas and coming to washington state i found i could touch what i had for property moneywise because of the inflated housing market at the time, the only alternative was the unspeakable.........yes i had to sell my factory 70 440 AC Cuda' and it went quickly in a frothy shark filled bidding war. I got my money and with my texas proceeds was able to buy a modest home and a *cough* Dodge Nitro 4x4.

After three years of seeing challengers running around i yearned......yes yearned.

One fatefull night a month ago i went in to get a service on my Nitro and ONLY a service mind you, the salesmen circled like sharks as i stood out in the service area awaiting my nitro to be finished, finally one of the salesmen spoke and i knew why.... with my best angry military bothered look i asked "you need something?", the salesmen still smiling but now sweating said "i notice you keep looking at the challenger outside" I was like, so what?

The conversation went on a bit longer and i was getting tired so i layed it out for him, give me a piece of paper and i will write my demands (way, way beyond what i thought they could possibly do), anyway as i was about to leave the sales manager ran up and showed me a couple of pieces of paper, he said "all i need is a hand shake".

Sigh, the next night i drove off the lot in a fedex delivered Orange Hemi pumpkin, happy as could be. Damn those salesmen!! :smileup:

A little link to my old ride http://graill.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/9338061_bBoJz#624602218_q4R9P

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was lucky enough to grow up and start driving during the first Muscle Car Era. I had many of the first era of Muscle Cars starting with my 1969 Chevelle SS 396-375hp car that I purchased brand new. Over the years most of my cars were GM built but in 2001 I bought my first Mustang it was a Bullitt. In 05 when they came out with the new Mustang I bought a GT. Even though the Mustangs were very nice cars I had a hard time adapting to being a Ford Guy. Along came the Challenger and I was sold and bought my 09 in February of 09 when the EPP was in effect. Even though I am a GM guy at heart I don't see a Camaro in my future they just missed the boat when they designed it. I will turn 60 in about another month and I am a good example of the saying "Once it's in your blood it's there forever" and it's been one hell of a ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Every now a then i want to give more than 1 other person the thrill of my beast and that cant be done in a mustang or a camaro,no back seat!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Why did I buy my Challenger?
Look at it! There isn't another car currently in production that's better looking than the Challenger! It's sexy, menacing, and masculine - all at the same time.

I can bolt on more horsepower. I can improve the handling.
BUT, I can't bolt on interior / trunk space, the comfort, or the classic styling.
Even Camaro owners have said that Dodge really hit the mark with this design..... something a LOT of people feel Chevy missed with the Camaro.
I can't really knock the other two (I'm glad Detroit is building muscle cars at all!), but they just didn't offer what I wanted in my incarnation of a life-long dream.

I got my Challenger 23 months ago. She still turns heads and gets frequent "thumbs-up", no matter where we go.
:smileup:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mostly what everyone else said but in the end looks, size, power. It has plenty of power and I don't see myself prowling around town looking to race so while not as fast as the Mustang GT or Camaro SS, it's still a ton of fun. I like the look of the 2005-2008 Mustang GT w/ stripes and the hood scoop but I drove a regular mustang 2 years ago and was unimpressed. I think the Camaro is pretty ugly but I did check one out and being only 6 ft tall I shouldn't have hit my head 3X while checking it out. Very hard to see out of and it just didn't do anything for me. The Challenger just nails it in the looks department. I see no negatives with it and now that the stock exhaust has been replaced, it is perfect.

If you want the fastest car for the $$ I'd look elsewhere but if that's not your deal then what you think looks and rides most to your liking would be my advice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you don't want to spend any money DON'T DRIVE ONE. These cars shouldn't ride and drive like they do. For me a born and raised MOPAR guy there wasn't a question. I wanted one since they came out, just for the looks alone.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts