Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
My uncle had a '72 challenger and I loved that car. I vividly recall the power of it just by sitting in the passenger seat . No seat belts back then either. So I became very intrigued when Dodge brought this great car back.
At this point, Mustangs are all over and look just plain cheap to me and I don't care how fast the new 5.0 is. This time next year there will be Camaros everywhere as well, and I kind of like the fact that they're aren't Challengers all over . I don't see anyone giving a thumbs up to any other cars.
But test driving this car and how it handled is what really sold me.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Always been a fan of the Challengers and Cudas and always wanted one, well I found my 72 Challenger (not exactly what I wanted but couldn't pass it up) and then found a 71 Barracuda while stationed in Panama of all places. Well story short, when Dodge announced the new Challenger coming out I HAD to have one! Since I didn't get the 70 model I wanted, this one was close enough but in a far better car for today. Plus been a Mopar faithful since the day I knew what Mopar was. Hope to get an SRT later....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maaaanny reasons...

Dont laugh.... I THOUGHT I wanted a CPO BMW 335 Cabrio or a CPO MB 350 Cabrio (both 2008s) then I got the "treatment"... I went to loook at the American rides.. I am a vintage Vette guy... Heres what I thought..

A) New Vette - big minus - I really wanted a 2+2 or a real back seat... I know, I know....
B) New Camaro SS - I couldnt see out of the thing. Every pimply faced kid has one and honestly I felt it was too gizmo'd out for me.
C) 2011 Mustang GT convertible - Big minuses - WAAAAAAAAAAY too much money for what you get, dealers wont party and lousy financing. useless back seat and you see these all over the place. However, this is a wonderful car
D) Challenger - The Classic R/T blew me away. VERY usable back seat, huge trunk - it is somewhat practical.. The cockpit was not gadgety. Im not racing or canyon carving so Im not worried about statistics. Bottomline, shes sexy as hell. Shes the Pam Anderson w/a baseball bat and in my case sporting hemi orange lipstick. I dont know who said this but if H-D made a car this would be it....

·
Registered
160 Posts
This was simple for me. The first I saw the concept back in 2006 I told my wife this would be the next car we buy. On November 10, 2008 :smileup:(awesome day for this old Jarhead arriving on the Mariner Corps Birthday) I had her parked in the garage and I have been happy ever since.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have always wanted a 70's Challenger, but with the prices they command, I know I couldn't afford one. The new 08-10 Challengers are the closest thing to the original. It was & is my dream car. It is a hard decision to make, buying a new car, so good luck with whatever car you choose. They all have their pros & cons. For me there was never a doubt. DODGE CHALLENGER - Back from the Dead !!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Why did I buy my Challenger?
Look at it! There isn't another car currently in production that's better looking than the Challenger! It's sexy, menacing, and masculine - all at the same time.

I can bolt on more horsepower. I can improve the handling.
BUT, I can't bolt on interior / trunk space, the comfort, or the classic styling.
Even Camaro owners have said that Dodge really hit the mark with this design..... something a LOT of people feel Chevy missed with the Camaro.
I can't really knock the other two (I'm glad Detroit is building muscle cars at all!), but they just didn't offer what I wanted in my incarnation of a life-long dream.

I got my Challenger 23 months ago. She still turns heads and gets frequent "thumbs-up", no matter where we go.
:smileup:
Dad said it best.:smileup:

Take it from a guy who just traded in his 2010 2SScamaro for the SRT8 challenger. You want the SRT8.
Its way better loking
It has tons of style
Its safer
It has alot more room
It has Navagation (impossible in a camaro)
Its rare. In a recent trip to Mrytle beach i saw 5 chalenger and 35 camaros.

It drives about the same.
Its Orange is orange.....just trust me on that one.
Its overall paint job is TONS better than Chevys.

I recommend you test drive them all. I didnt. Chevy fanboy all the way.:shakehead:
Bottom line is i love it. IMO Its the best for me.
Goodluck
Congrats on making the switch and good points Bro!!!

Joe

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
The other two are sports cars, the Challenger is a true Grand Tourer. Plenty of power at every level, solid on the highway, a Goliath on the side streets but with surprisingly fun handling.

I am very critical about cars I own i guess because I am a believer in getting what you pay for. My only real complaint after over 20,000 miles is no back up camera, which I intend to fix but would have been nice from the factory since they already have one for the Jeeps running MyGig systems. That's it! Everything else has exceed my expectations.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well first and foremost, I'll admit I'm an attention whore - Challenger is the perfect car for this...just come back from Publix picking up my lunch and I get a 'nice ride' comment from someone walking past as I get back in the car...I shout thanks and think nothing more about it...then hear a loud grumble.....look back and see the same person giving a thumbs up as he drives off in one of those high performance caddys (CTV or something - currently the fastest saloon car in the world).

That's the point about the Challenger...it appeals to everyone...even those who paid significantly more for a quicker car appreciate what the Challenger stands for and genuinly mean it when they say 'nice ride'.....if I was driving a flashy Ferrari...then sure, the same person would have thought nice ride but I bet they might not have said anything, assuming because I drive a Ferrari, I'm arrogant and just flashy.

For me right now, the Challenger is the perfect car combination...it commands attention but is not deemed as 'flashy'....it brings out so much nostalgia from other drivers (remembering the 70's) because Dodge recreated much of the magic.....it likes to be driven hard when you're in the mood (there is nothing like entering the freeway at the 50mph sweetspot and then hitting the 'hemi awake' pedal)....yet is equally happy (and safe) to drive my most valuable possessions around (little ones!)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
A dream come true

I had a brand new 71 Challenger R/T 340 . I gave it up when I got married . I loved that car . Dark green ( F 7 code ) with the white R/T stripe down the side . I put T/A spolier and wheels on it . I'd really missed that car . So it was a dream come true when I read Dodge might make a new Challenger . But figured it wouldn't look like the old one . I was really suprised that it did look like the old one . But modern also. It is much nicer car than the old one . Sort of like going from the older bucket seat's to a nice Lazy Boy in this car. But it has the sound and power it should have . And handles good also for such a heavy car. Long Live the new Challenger . :smileup:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
If you want the fastest car for the $$ I'd look elsewhere but if that's not your deal then what you think looks and rides most to your liking would be my advice.
I agree. How many people will you impress with the fastest car? I've been in one race in 6 months; most people are too smart/mature to street race. However, I get looks and compliments almost EVERY day I drive the car.

So...having the fastest car - kudos and respect twice per year.

Having the best and coolest looking car - kudos and respect every day of the year!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
All sorts of logical reasons given in this thread.

Fact is that buying a muscle car is not a logic driven decision, there is no logical reason to own one.

For me, when I looked at, got in and drove the Challenger, it "spoke to me". The others you mention didn't speak to me or at least not as clearly.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Owned a Cuda in the late 70's, always loved mopar
Traded in a 2005 mustang, was very bored with it.
I just got hooked as soon as I saw the proto type.
Took 2 years to get the cash together
Now I have the car I have dreamed of since the day I sold the Cuda

·
Premium Member
17,651 Posts
1.The idea of owning this car was born the first time I saw a BB RT.It literally stopped me in my tracks.
2. The test drive confirmed that the car drove the way it looked which put me about 90% of the way there.
3.Coming across this forum and reading about the sheer enjoyment of owning this car and its reliability sealed the deal.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,565 Posts
Always loved Challengers and Cudas. Wanted to restore a 70 or 71 Challenger, but time, and a place to do it were always problems. I saw photos of the concept car, and said "Mine!" I joined the forum the day I put a deposit on the car and haven't regretted either one.

And I LOVE the looks I get when driving this car.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Read the Gawker Stories

It just occured to me that you should read some of the stories in a thread I started a few months back called "Your Best Gawker Story or Stories." There are over 200 posts from Challenger owners sharing incidents where others admired their cars. You might want to read a few and maybe you'll understand how highly respected and admired the Challengers are in the eyes of the general public.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52177

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's funny sometimes how you make decisions. Some folks are diehard MOPAR fans, so to them it's a no-brainer.

I once thought I'd get a Z-350 when I was in college. Later I considered the Camaro V6 and, for a fleeting moment, the Mustang. I had a 2003 Mustang V6 which was coming up on 100K, and after 7 years I was in the market for a new ride.

I had honestly never considered the Challenger, until I saw one driving by, a black R/T. I was impressed, pictures just don't do it justice. So I did a 180 and researched a little to see if I could get one in silver and a 5.7.

The rest is history, I don't doubt that I got the best car money can buy, it's an amazing piece of engineering, and just a damn fine car to look at.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've been lurking, currently own a MazdaSpeed3. Nice car, fun car, isn't a muscle car. :) Owned several Fbodies including 400 Trans Ams, an LT1 Formula, etc... and I am about to get back into these cars.

Here's my dilemma: I am trying to decide between the Challenger R/T, a Camaro SS, and a Mustang GT (2011). What made you decide on your Challenger? I wish $ wasn't an issue, otherwise I'd grab an SRT8, but my budget is going to be likely around $35k tops.

Pete
Because it is AWESOME! I was gonna restore a 71 Cuda until the Challenger came out. It will still be attracting gawkers long after the Camaro and Mustang become a dime a dozen. They will be common, the Challenger will not. You can still get a well equipped RT for around $35,000 if you buy it through fleet sales - no haggling, no salesman BS. Wife has a fully loaded 2010 GT and it is very nice except it is smaller inside. A 2011 would be great (100 more HP). Now she wants a 2011. Wife was going to buy a new Camaro (she waited a long time for it) but she hated the interior.

Try them all out and buy the one that speaks to you! I think they're all freakin' awesome! Whatever you get, I'd buy it through fleet sales. They will generally start at dealer invoice. I saved about $4,500.

BTW, with a couple mods, this car will easily hold its own against the competition.

Also, most Challenger owners always acknowledge each other when you meet them on the street - got a wave from one today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
okstrat,

Some buy purely based on numbers. Others, like myself, buy on looks. Yes the RT, around your 35K price range, won't necessarily beat all the others out there, but it's the best looker of the bunch.

Its a beast, the others are slick, but look like toys in comparison, and you have tons of space inside to tote around whatever you want, even passengers in the back seat who aren't under 5'.

The RT drives like a sporty mid-size, it rides over bumps and dips like nothing, it rides in rain as if on rails. It's plush, smooth, and has presence, no Mustang or Camaro will do that. Test drive it and see for yourself...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Wanted to buy a New Harley Trike, Wrecked my Sporty in 77 and wanted to ride again.

:shakehead: I was partially paralyzed but got lucky and got some return and for the last thrity years walked with crutches,, instead of a wheelchair,, :wow: But at this age,, My days for hangin out under an overpass waiting for a thunderstorm to pass are over,, :shakehead: Then in Feburary 2010 I got too close to the edge again,, been there twice before,, but this time was alot closer and found myself in ICCU and needed a GOAL. Something to live for,, I have O negative blood and they couldn't find a match,, very rare,, so they couldn't transfuse me,, :Wow1: The Hospital I stayed in had WI-FI and when I was young I also had a Coronet 440. (actually a 318 with 440 emblems, bumble beees and meats&mags.) Sorry,, thats what you do when your young and limited $$$$. I had my laptop with me so I goggled dodge dot com and it said,,, BUILD YOUR OWN,, :wow: Fortunatly,, even though my youth has left,, I had bucks,, $$$$$$$,,, :D and you can't take them with you. So I built my own,, two hours later the dealership called,, said they had some on the lot,, but nothing like that and if I came down and took a look,,, maybe I would want to deal on one of those after a ride. :i_rolleyes: which wasn't gonna happen so I said,, FIND ME ONE, rotflmao! I wasn't going anywhere,,, for awhile,, A few hours later,, the dealer called me back and had located one in NJ. but wanted a deposit to go get it. :SHOCKED: I hung up and instructed my wife to take a check to him,, and when oyu get there,, call me on your cell and give it to him along with the check. She did that an hour later and when he was on the phone I asked him what he was holding,, and he said,, a check for $10,000,,, and I said,, "GO GET MY FRICKIN CAR",,,, !!!!! PLEASE!!!! :D Although I didn't get to pick it up, (was in the hospital for a month) I was able to get the upgrades done on it and get it ready, even had head cylinder and valve work done,, ported and polished,, head rails,, and last week,, MOPAR racing Header Pipes installed. really does sound like 70's muscle now. And for the first time in three years,, no tubes attached or otherwise inserted. :D:D:D And the smile I have on my face right now could only be removed surgically,,, :D:D:D:smileup: True Story, Have a Great day Y'all Jed

·
Dodge Challenger Forum
1,669 Posts
Why i Bought Mine

As though once wasn't enough the wife and I test drove a 2SS 6.2 liter Camaro today. She saw it on-line and figured maybe we should take a look. On the outside the bright red paint with white stripes did look appealing. I wouldn't say anything because I wanted it all to be her decision. We got the keys and climbed inside and I immediately got the crammed-in feeling with my head rubbing the ceiling. I just couldn't get the seat low enough. Our son climbed into the back and lucky for me he sat behind my wife, who was going to drive and had her move pretty far forward. When she fired it up I thought the window was down from the noise. That might be OK I guess but it wasn't a sweet sound. Well we left the lot and she did like the quick-turn feel as she got onto the street and quick acceleration, but the road noise... I wasn't sure if it was the tires (Pirelli's) or just poor sound deadening, plain loud. The suspension didn't help the car flow with the road. The ride, to me was just rough. She drove down some curvy roads and I wanted her to put the car into the turns a little more aggressively but she wasn't game. We stopped at a theatre parking lot where we switched places and yeah my son had to switch as well. I still couldn't get the seat low enough. Just like the SRT the car came alive to me. Without coaxing I could break traction at will. We left the lot and got out onto the street that led to the highway. I did get some looks from some people pulling into the lot but really not the crazed excited looks like when I drove the SRT. As we entered the highway and i got on it on the ramp I admit it was a fun part of the ride but the road noise all but took the thrill away. The Brembo's did their job at the exit and I wanted to hit some curves on the way back but my wife insisted that we get back to the dealership. OK to that. We were in traffic and I was expecting my son to say that people were looking at us but no.... Well when we did get back to dealer's and he asked how the ride was I let my wife do the talking. She just wouldn't say the words the guy wanted to hear. You know 'Great Ride' or 'Man that was cool'. No she said "We'll see" and with that we left. She asked me what I thought, really thought of the car. All I could say was I was just as underwhelmed now as I was before and she thanked me and said she won't miss passing it up.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts