Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was brought up on chevys myself but always wanted a mopar the new Camaro looks like its smiling and Ive never been a ford fan but the challenger looks like its angry like the cars of the past and it is affordable and it has a HEMI nuff said but like others have said its not a logical decision its an emotional one either it calls to you or not good luck with your choice 12 R/T cat back exhaust flowmaster CAI lowered diablo tuner and many more go fast parts to come

·
Registered
440 Posts
When I saw the original promo ads I was HOOKED! Just was not the prime financial time to pull the trigger. I waited until January 2011 and saw the changes that Dodge had made for the 2011 models. I knew it was the time to get one.
Grew up a GM guy, could never find the MOPARs I wanted. Always loved the look of the Challengers, the new rendition is a great tribute to those cars. I absolutely LOVE my 2011 Challenger RT, best car I have ever owned and it is a driving pleasure each and every time I am around it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've owned two Charger R/T both were AWD's. The first 2007 which I loved but the miles were getting up there. So my wife and I saw an advertizement for a 2012 Challenger R/T. We tried it out and we were hooked. But it didn't have many options that I was accustom to with the Charger. The salesman also showed us a another Charger 2010 model almost identical to the 2007 color, options just lower miles and I traded. Until I found the Challenger that was perfect. Love the Challenger comfort, powerful and roomy. Oh and gas mileage is remarkable 26 on a resent trip with the MDS system.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I grew up a GM guy first car was a 65 impala SS , and I loved the car ,but ran into money problems and sold it. Then a couple years later found a Southern 73 Plymouth Sebring, 383, 4 speed . I got into a lot of trouble as I could not keep my foot out of the gas. Sold it to a friend for $1000 bucks. From then on I liked the mopars. I respect the mustang, but never really cared to own one. My neighbor owned a 67 ragtop camaro, and I tried and tried to buy it from him but he would not budge. The new camaro does not do anything for me, as everyone else has said it is small on the inside. The challenger was it the first time I saw it. I have the 6 but I don't plan on looking for races just cruising around. Lots of room great features, and the mileage is great.
P.S. the car attracts a lot of attention as well!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Why i Bought Mine

As though once wasn't enough the wife and I test drove a 2SS 6.2 liter Camaro today. She saw it on-line and figured maybe we should take a look. On the outside the bright red paint with white stripes did look appealing. I wouldn't say anything because I wanted it all to be her decision. We got the keys and climbed inside and I immediately got the crammed-in feeling with my head rubbing the ceiling. I just couldn't get the seat low enough. Our son climbed into the back and lucky for me he sat behind my wife, who was going to drive and had her move pretty far forward. When she fired it up I thought the window was down from the noise. That might be OK I guess but it wasn't a sweet sound. Well we left the lot and she did like the quick-turn feel as she got onto the street and quick acceleration, but the road noise... I wasn't sure if it was the tires (Pirelli's) or just poor sound deadening, plain loud. The suspension didn't help the car flow with the road. The ride, to me was just rough. She drove down some curvy roads and I wanted her to put the car into the turns a little more aggressively but she wasn't game. We stopped at a theatre parking lot where we switched places and yeah my son had to switch as well. I still couldn't get the seat low enough. Just like the SRT the car came alive to me. Without coaxing I could break traction at will. We left the lot and got out onto the street that led to the highway. I did get some looks from some people pulling into the lot but really not the crazed excited looks like when I drove the SRT. As we entered the highway and i got on it on the ramp I admit it was a fun part of the ride but the road noise all but took the thrill away. The Brembo's did their job at the exit and I wanted to hit some curves on the way back but my wife insisted that we get back to the dealership. OK to that. We were in traffic and I was expecting my son to say that people were looking at us but no.... Well when we did get back to dealer's and he asked how the ride was I let my wife do the talking. She just wouldn't say the words the guy wanted to hear. You know 'Great Ride' or 'Man that was cool'. No she said "We'll see" and with that we left. She asked me what I thought, really thought of the car. All I could say was I was just as underwhelmed now as I was before and she thanked me and said she won't miss passing it up.
Never had the inclination to drive a Camaro since!

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,965 Posts
Plain and simple....to me, it is the most true to how the original looked of the 4 choices (Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Charger).

Originally, I wanted the Charger for the 4 doors, as all my other vehicles have 4 doors (Ram crew cab and Cherokees), but I realized one day, unless I am hunting, I never use the back doors on the cherokee - my DD at the time - and since I do live alone, a 2 door would not be a hassle as long as it had a trunk for groceries and such....so I started looking at the Challengers more and more.

For those other body styles, I've had a Camaro (86 IROC-Z, and I still love that body style), a Mustang (93 coupe, but with a 4 cyl....nice small family car), and a Firebird (76 vintage, with a 69 428 HO transplanted into it), but never an older body style Challenger or Charger.

Aside from my 69 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ, those are the only 'performance' car styles I've had....most of what I've driven has been 4x4 trucks and a few economy type vehicles for daily drivers.

A couple notable exceptions......the 93 Dodge Grand Caravan LE we had was a surprise, as it had the 3.8l engine in it, and that thing had way way more power power than it needed....also had a 93 Mercury Sable wagon with the 3.0 engine...that was a little powerhouse too....it came from the factory with no redline on the tach, and if you punched it in 2nd gear, it would drop to first and shift @ 5800 rpm, chirping the front tires as it did.......both of these 'family cars' were a blast to drive as they were able to surprise many so called performance cars on the street.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I've been lurking, currently own a MazdaSpeed3. Nice car, fun car, isn't a muscle car. :) Owned several Fbodies including 400 Trans Ams, an LT1 Formula, etc... and I am about to get back into these cars.

Here's my dilemma: I am trying to decide between the Challenger R/T, a Camaro SS, and a Mustang GT (2011). What made you decide on your Challenger? I wish $ wasn't an issue, otherwise I'd grab an SRT8, but my budget is going to be likely around $35k tops.

Pete
I worked for Chrysler for 32 years and it is the baddest looking muscle car on the road.Only 2 reasons I needed to get her in my driveway.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Many years ago my friend had a 69 GTX 440 4 speed car. He let me drive it one time. Car was an animal. Ran 12.5s at the track if I recall correctly. Now I have had few different muscle cars in my lifetime. 1972 Buick GS 455. 1970 Buick GS 350. 1967 Pontiac GTO which I still have. 1990 and 1992 Mustang 5.0s. 2000 Ws6 Trans Am. But that GTX blew all of these cars away! The car and my friend are both gone now. Forward to the present.Another lifelong buddy of mine goes out and gets a new 2016 Challenger Scat Pack M6 car. My first impression was how wicked this car is as I never really seen one up close before. Reminded me of that old GTX right away. So we go for a ride. My buddy says you want to drive it. Hell yeah I respond. First impression was wow. I say to myself I gotta get one. After looking for over a year at Hellcats and 392s I opted for the 392. Reasons being I live in a big city and I wouldnt be able too let the Hellcat stretch its legs without getting into some kind of trouble. Second being the extra cash for the Hellcat. So after going back and forth I seen a 2018 Challenger T/A. Plum Crazy Purple. Drove 2 1/2 hours to go see it. When i got there they had it on the showroom floor. I was completely blown away by it. So immediately put down a deposit. 3 main things I wanted it had.
M6 No sunroof PCP. Drove back home and 2 days later took an Amtrak back to the dealer to pick up the car. For overall performance this is the best car that I have ever owned .I still want to get a Hellcat though.

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,466 Posts
My wife had a mustang before we met, she had issues with it so that turned her off of Ford, for me, unless it's a 67 or earlier I will not buy a Ford. A few years after we met, I bought her a 2010 SS, fun car but not practical if you're over 6' tall (her) or over 260lbs (me). The challenger worked out for us, it had the color she wanted, (F8 Blacktop) its comfortable for us, it has enough power, decent handling and not much to modify. oh, and it's a Dodge (which we both like)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I missed my chance in '74 getting a 'Cuda or a Challenger, and as soon as I saw the concept, I knew, if they made it, I was going to have one. In 2007, I needed a car, but couldn't swing the SRT Challenger, so I had to settle for a '08 Charger R/T. Not quite three years later, I got my '10 R/T, and in July '18, I got my present Scat Pack. I've never liked Ford's styling much at all, and the Mustang never did a thing for me. I had 2 2nd Gen Camaros, and a T/A, but the new ones starting in '10 totally turn me off, just the looks alone, and after sitting in one, that didn't change my mind, If the Camaro had looked even reasonably decent, and had a useful trunk, I would be driving one, it's a great car, to drive. To sit in, no, and to look at, MY EYES!! GM's styling has totally gone into the toilet and the present trucks and C8 prove they have totally lost their way. IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had 5 seat capacity. I have three kids and even though it's a two door, I am able to use the 5 seat capacity if needed. The 5.0 and Camaro has bucket back seats. Only other car I considered was the CTS-V.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
2,981 Posts
I was into Mopar back when I was a young man and several of my buddies had Challengers, Roadrunners, GTX's and similar Chrysler Corp. products. At that time I had a Charger R/T with the 440 Magnum/Torqueflite tranny combo and it was just a super nice all around car for me, especially comfort-wise, as I was a big, tall guy. It was more than fast enough to get me into trouble if I didn't watch it too. Fast-Forward 40+ years and, with the kids on their own and my having a rather unexpected serious medical issue pop up that I recovered from, I decided I wanted something special to drive. That turned out to be my current 2016 SXT Plus. Since it was my first Challenger, I was hesitant to spend another $5-6K to go with the R/T Plus model. Well, turns out that after owning it for almost 3 1/2 years I find myself fully satisfied with everything it offers, other than it doesn't have that V8 growl my Charger R/T had...and I can easily live with that! In conclusion I'd like to state that I bet most people don't realize that their "new" generation Challengers are a lot bigger in every way than the old 70s models were. The comfort level inside is light years better than that of my huge old '70 Charger R/T and that's still a very good thing!

·
Premium Member
17,666 Posts
If I had to pick one reason it would be how well Dodge designed the body to resemble the old school look of the original.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,580 Posts
If I had to pick one reason it would be how well Dodge designed the body to resemble the old school look of the original.
I'm with Art on this one. The MAIN reason for my choice, and the added benefits are many. Power, roomy interior, great ride, and for me, the nice trunk room is just an added benefit.

Still in love with the challenger......

·
Registered
22 Posts
My brother has a Charger scat pack because he wanted to be able to haul his grandkids around and made me look at Dodge in general. I chose the Challenger 50th Anniversary Edition because it has no other purpose other than looking gorgeous and going fast. They say it seats 5 but not 5 adults. Just me and the wife so i do not need back seats. Would have gotten the back seat delete option but just got in the market for this about a month ago.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts