Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here at 6,800', our lows are getting down to the low 40's marking the start of Fall and potential for snow. My previous daily driver was a Jeep Commander, which never gave me any issue in the snow and ice. Even with 2' of snow, I wouldn't bother to shovel my side of the driveway; just open the garage door and go! :cool:

I know that there is a difference between my Commander's full time 4X4 system versus the GT's AWD, but am not exactly sure what those differences are. Other than having to watch for snow depth with the lower body, what can I expect from my GT AWD this winter as far as winter driving performance? How should I be driving differently than in my Jeep?

Snow Sky Building Tree Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Challenger GT AWD
20 Posts
If it's anything like my wifes Charger GT AWD you'll be impressed, I know I was, it was the reason I bought my Challenger GT AWD, my wife has had a few different SUV's and she says it's better in the snow than any of them and I agree, pretty impressive. The system is in 2wd unless you turn on the wipers or the temp is 32 degrees or lower from what I understand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I missed an opportunity to try some winter driving this morning. We got a weird storm come through and the ski resort 30 minutes away got 2 inches of snow. If I hadn't had to work today, I would have drove up there for a preseason tryout.

·
Registered
2008 SRT8 Challenger
653 Posts
OMG that picture just made it reality for me that white crap is coming soon lol. We dropped down to the 30’s last night UGH. Got 2 car shows left this weekend and back in the garage for 6-7 long nasty months, god I hate living here 😳

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
back in the garage for 6-7 long nasty months, god I hate living here
Oh man, that's a major bummer. I chose to get the GT AWD over other trims because I really wanted to enjoy this car year round. I am willing to sacrifice some performance so that I can drive my Challenger even when the white stuff is flying.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This car is so much better in the Winter. The first year, on the factory Michelin tires, I could floor it from a stop sign on our very ice streets, amazing grip. We had a 2010 SE with Winter tires, OK but no comparing the two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts