Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit confused what rear end my 09 R/T Auto has. It will lay down dual patches when doing a burn out but if I lift it up and spin the driver rear tire the passenger tire does not move. The same goes for the passenger side. I thought if it was an open diff the other tire would spin opposite direction? My Ram and my wife's Yukon have an open diff so the other wheel spins opposite direction. Is the rear end in my Challenger what they call a brake differential? I am a bit confused what it has .... build sheet just says 3.06 rear axle.

Reactions: HemifeverAZ

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,868 Posts
Per my manual, if you don't have a limited slip, you have a brake limited differential...which means it uses the brakes to give you traction like a LSD

Reactions: HemifeverAZ

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger RT, JLT Oil CC, AFE GT Momentum CAI
261 Posts
My guess, and I say guess, is that you have an open differential 3.06. That's the only differential that I'm familiar with Mopar putting on the Challenger and Charger that has a 3.06 gear. My 16 Challenger has the 3.06 OD but I'll be changing mine out for the 3.09 limited slip differential around the end of the year.

What does your differential look like? If it's smooth on the bottom of the pumpkin with no air fins then it's my understanding that those are the ODs. Mine is like that. The LSDs have air fins on the bottom of the pumpkin to assist in air flow to keep it cool while you're tootling along down the black top.

Like I said at the beginning..I'm guessing that's what you have based on what I know but there are many more people here far smarter than I. I'm not too familiar with any of the models prior to the 2016s.

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
494 Posts
that year the SRT8 had the true limited. the RT did not.

From 2008-2010 there where the following types..

The 198 MM RII (Rear-Independent-Iron) axle is an independent assembly with a cast iron housing and
differential. The 198 MM RII uses an open differential which is supported by two tapered roller bearings
located on either side of the case. Differential bearing preload and ring gear backlash are controlled with select
snap-rings located on the outside of the differential bearing cups. Pinion height is set with a select shim located
under the rear pinion bearing cup.
The 198 axle is available only in all-wheel-drive (AWD) models, and in V-6 engine-equipped rear-wheel-drive
(RWD) models, and is available in three gear ratios: 3.07 3.64 AND 3.90:1.

The 215 MM RII (Rear-Independent-Iron) axle is an independent assembly with a cast iron housing and
differential. The 215 MM RII uses an open differential which is supported by two tapered roller bearings
located on either side of the case. Differential bearing preload and ring gear backlash are controlled with select
snap-rings located on the outside of the differential bearing cups. Pinion height is set with a select shim located
under the rear pinion bearing cup.
AXLE IDENTIFICATION
The 215 MM axle utilizes a barcoded label which is adhered to the top of the axle housing as shown in
illustration. The following information is found on the identification label:

and the SRT units came with..

3.91 Limited slip version.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it was a brake limited differential but was wondering why when you spin one of the wheels the other wheel does not move.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,868 Posts
It's open until the brakes are applied based on wheel spin

·
Registered
217 Posts
My guess, and I say guess, is that you have an open differential 3.06. That's the only differential that I'm familiar with Mopar putting on the Challenger and Charger that has a 3.06 gear. My 16 Challenger has the 3.06 OD but I'll be changing mine out for the 3.09 limited slip differential around the end of the year.

What does your differential look like? If it's smooth on the bottom of the pumpkin with no air fins then it's my understanding that those are the ODs. Mine is like that. The LSDs have air fins on the bottom of the pumpkin to assist in air flow to keep it cool while you're tootling along down the black top.

Like I said at the beginning..I'm guessing that's what you have based on what I know but there are many more people here far smarter than I. I'm not too familiar with any of the models prior to the 2016s.
we have, 15 and up (my 2015 Challenger) a different Differential than the 14 and back

·
Dazed & Confused
35,990 Posts
It's an open differential but the torque management kicks in & applies the brake to keep them spinning the same in most cases. My 09 will do the same, leave two marks. Limited slip was not even offered in an auto R/T until some later model & then I believe you had to order the correct package to get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts