Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are all here for one reason or another, but at some point we all were at the dealership drooling over Challengers trying to make a decision. Which model, which package? I know there are a myriad of factors for everyone that went into the purchase of their own Challenger, but what I'm interested in is at what point was there an option (or lack of option) that made you say, "Ok THIS is the one for me."

What feature for you put you into a R/T Classic over a R/T Plus? If you had to choose between a fully loaded R/T or a Core, why would you choose which one you pick?
If you chose the R/T base model, what made you gravitate towards it more than the others?

In addition to that, did that specific feature live up to your original hopes after a few months? If you were just dying for leather seats, how do you feel about them now, could you take them or leave them, or is it still truly a deal breaker? Is that 6 speed transmission everything you hoped for... or do you find yourself lusting after auto's every now and then?

Just curious how important one thing is over another for everyone!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Coming from my v6 2012 charger to my 2014 RT, there was only one feature I had to have....The HEMI!! The 20" chrome clads, 3.92 rear, and paddle shifters were just a plus. I was looking at used fully loaded RT's when my loan officer at my bank told me "with all the things you've done to your Charger, I'm sure it would be no problem for you to get a sunroof, leather seats, and navigation installed, plus you'll know everything about your Challenger, and have full factory warranty." Definitely had to agree with him there, so I found my basically core redline 3 RT, and by the end of June, she'll have leather, touchscreen navigation, and a sunroof.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I started off looking at used, low mileage SRT's, but a new R/T was what I finally decided upon. Took me 6 months, but my basic parameters were:

1) BLACK
2) AUTO
3) 730 NAV
4) SUNROOF
5) STP
6) UNDER $29K

I came across a floor model in Philly with 60 miles on the odo. I got all of the above, and have been in love ever since!

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
I was looking for a Challenger R/T... I was focused on getting a 6-speed. I had a budget and a base model suited me just fine. Now the Hemi Orange paint was just a by-product of my search... I found a pretty basic 6-speed Challenger R/T (only options were the STP and 20"s), price was right, and it just happened to be Hemi Orange... 13K miles and 8 months later - I LOVE the 6-speed still, and the Hemi orange has become part of my DNA.... hahahahaha.....

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,735 Posts
Went with the intent of a an R/T and it had to be a 6 speed and no sunroof. The one I bought was a top choice color wise. I knew I could add features later on ( leather and 730rer radio). Plus I knew I was going to get different wheels.

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
I'm a retro muscle car kind of guy, I don't like a lot of extra options on my muscle cars. So when the Challenger came out it was easy I wanted a no frills R/T in Hemi Orange, which I got. Then when the Core model came available it was the same deal only a step up to the next level Hemi. I tried to get Hemi Orange in that too and ordered a Hemi Orange 2013 Core, but Chrysler being Chrysler screwed it up and six months later my car came in a Torred 2014 Core.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Always liked the Challenger since it came out. But over the past 5 years, I've focused more on putting my kids thru college so the "toys" were not an option for me.

My oldest has been out of college for a little over a year and got a job. He wanted to get a Ford Fusion but then decided he didn't want a 5-6 year car note. At the time I had a 2006 VW Passat and asked if he liked it. He said he did so I told him if he was serious, he could pay me (an undisclosed $ amount) and I would get another car. It then hit me at that very moment... CHALLENGER!!! Wife thought I was joking around until the following weekend, I came home with my 13 Hemi Orange R/T. :D Honestly, if my son wouldnt have wanted the Passat, I would just have waited longer to buy a new car.

·
Banned
149 Posts
coming from a 13' SRT Charger Super bee (black) I did not have too many requirements. The biggest one for me which had me walking out of several Dealers in the area was no Chrome Clad wheels. I absolutely refused to purchase the car with them. The other was how much of a monthly payment savings from the SRT8 would I get. Between my insurance and car payment I managed about 104 dollars a month savings after everything was all said and done. Some may ask why give up a SRT8 for a R/T but at the time I had thought it was going to be needed due to my wife possibly not having a job by the end of 2013(which fortunately did not happen), the other was not even using the back seats 1 time in the 8 months I owned the SRT8 Charger.

It was an incredible car and at times I do miss the power, but with the onset of the core group coming on in full swing, and financial issues being positive, there may be a SRT8 coming here in model year 2015 sometime, depending on the colors available.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Just like this - I didn't know the Challenger even existed. I saw one at the dealer. It was the only one within 250 miles or more and they were not building them at the time. It was a loaded SRT and it was TorRed. That did it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
IMPULSE ! I had been trying to buy a Mustang but I just can't fit in one, I don't care for the Camaros and after owning a crappy Caravan and a 300 that would never shift right I swore off Chrysler products. I loved the Blue Challenger I've seen in my area so I stopped in the Dodge dealer on a whim and they had 2 new Challengers in stock and one was my Redline, I test drove it and it stickered just under 36K so not knowing any rebates or any other incentives the salesman says what will it take for you to buy this I said I'd give 17K plus my Flex out the door, he comes back at 17.5 I said see ya, then he says OK right now 17K, I picked it up that night. I only wish I had heated leather seats and the upgraded 430 stereo w/out nav. other than that I'm very happy so far.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
for me it was the availability, the price, the fact it was an SRT with a full load that really sweetened the deal...but when I first saw her sitting on the lot, it was those invredible blue stripes shining in the sun that sucked me in!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Well, some of the info is already in thread "The day you bought your Challenger" But let's see if I can add to it and answer the rest of the questions.

I had driven the 6 cyl first, but in all honesty, it didn't seem that much different than a typical family sedan. The price was good compared to the R/T but just didn't do it for me. I really needed a little muscle. I felt that the SRT was a bit much for me, ...soooo, I went to a better dealer that had a ton of Challengers and drove a Plum Crazy R/T auto. It was much better. I said ok I'd like to try that 6spd over there. OK here we go!! Down the smooth back road the salesman has me go. As I'm going through the gears, I'm like "Oh man this is awesome!", I told the salesman. He said, "Yeah, that's why I bought the 6 spd. I just got mine yesterday. It was a trade in with only 4,000miles on it." I wanted one in Blue so he checked to see if he could find one in Deep Water Blue, but there wasn't one to be found anywhere, nor was there any B-5 Blue ones in the whole state. So disappointed, I left. Then a week later I spot the used Hemi Orange on line at this dealership in Antioch IL. Went there with my son the next morning and almost bought it after the test drive UNTIL....we drove back and spotted not one, not two, but three B-5s in the back of the lot...HIDDEN !! The rest of the story is in that other thread.

It had the most options including a Mopar car cover in the trunk. AND they dropped the price on it by 6 grand. How could I refuse!! I absolutely love this car ! It's a thrill every time I get in it. I feel like I'm 19 all over again ! Of course When I drive my '55 Chevy I'm 3 years younger (16). LOL. That's cause I've had it since I was 15.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,975 Posts
Not that I ever wanted one, but the Camaro was eliminated when the hubby said he doesn't fit in one. The decision to get the SRT was made when the hubby flat out said - "T, you know you won't be happy in an R/T, so stop thinking about it and just go get the SRT." After that the dealer made it easy. He had one on order and it was in "C" status. We changed the order to what I wanted and I gave him a deposit.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Dave,

I joined the Z nearly a year ago with the intent to observe, ask questions, and learn for 6 months from the best resource available for learning about Challengers - actual owners. I was focused on buying a used R/T, and I focused on 2010's because I was trying to keep my purchase to $25k. But after reading about the now well known and recalled timing chain issue, 2010's fell by the wayside for me as well. At that point, I also decided to forgo the used Challenger route because what I was discovering was how well Challengers were holding their value. At one point I avereraged the difference between used and new Challengers at about $4-$5k, after rebates and incentives.

So when I decided to buy, I jumped from 6 months of wait/ask/learn to only 3, having been motivated by the excitement I felt on this forum. But by then I also had a complete picture of the exact model of R/T I wanted along with the options I wanted. With my Accord, I had chosen a mid level trim that I was never really happy with, so I chose an R/T Classic because I wanted a top of the line R/T. I wanted the upgraded 730n NAV system for similar reasons. I also wanted the Super Track Pak as my final option.

The Challenger I bought matched my list in every category except for two things: It didn't have the Super Track Pak and it was Black (I wanted Silver Billet or Hemi Orange). But what tripped my switch were two things that weren't on my original wishlist - the Radar Red interior and 20" Heritage wheels. What also sweetened the deal was that the dealer was selling this Challenger at a loss, the deal was to good to pass up!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dave, I joined the Z nearly a year ago with the intent to observe, ask questions, and learn for 6 months from the best resource available for learning about Challengers - actual owners
I did the same exact thing, I researched my SXT for quite some time but wasn't getting all the info I felt I needed, so I joined the Z about a month before I made my purchase. Honestly I joined the Z because every time I googled a question about Challengers guess where it lead me over and over and over... right here! I remember thinking, "geez why don't I just begin my searching here" and the rest is history :smileup:

So when I decided to buy, I jumped from 6 months of wait/ask/learn to only 3, having been motivated by the excitement I felt on this forum. But by then I also had a complete picture of the exact model of R/T I wanted along with the options I wanted.
You pretty much nailed it right there. The more I peruse this website the more I learn. You had a really good post in another thread mentioning the differences between the R/T's which lead me to downloading the Dodge Challenger sales brochure, which just so happens to be exactly what I was looking for. :rep:

But then with all the information, choices, and advice I still seem to come to an impasse. Which is kind of why I posted the original question about options. I really don't care about tech, I could take it or leave it, I'm more geared towards performance. Don't get me wrong, some niceties wouldn't go under appreciated, but the only thing I'm really yammering for is a 6 speed. Beyond that, doesn't matter. I can always upgrade certain things later if I really want to.

Anyway, after weighing all my options I'm sort of leaning towards either an R/T Plus or R/T Classic 6 speed. My only problem is if I get a fully loaded Plus or Classic I'm not that far off from the price of a Core. So while I may not have leather seats, or NAV, or whatever, I would have a 6 speed 392! I'm just trying to decide what is more important in the long run.... options or performance! :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
39 Posts
in sept 05 I was putting a transmission in a 68 superbee it slipped tried to catch it tore the rotator cup in my right shoulder.at the time had 9 old muscle cars 3 nice 6 restorable.a decision was made to transition from the old to the new.yhe first to go was a 70 boss 302 which bought a 06 gt mustang auto with some change left over.the 6 lesser cars were parted out over the next 7 years and the rolling body shells sold off .the work of taking these cars apart had an amazing therapeutic effect on the rotator cup so by 2013 felt I was ready for a 6speed rt sold the super bee traded the mustang on a 13 rt 6 speed.still have a 69 dart 340 stored am considering selling it and buying a 2012 1 ss Camaro 6 speed that way I would have owned a new or nearly new car from the big three in both muscle car eras

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I had one simple mission in mind the day we went looking. We WERE coming home with a modern day muscle car. It HAD to be a v8 that was it. First stop was a GM dealer. Dad worked at the Tonawanda engine plant for many years in the foundry when I was a kid, so I was thinking Camaro or I was hoping the 14 Impala was available as an SS again with an 8. This was back in Sept and I did not know about the new "SS" with the v8 and 410hp (we are now considering this car as our daily driver, waiting for the dealer to get one in stock, KEEPING the Challenger).

Once we saw how small the Camaro was it was off to the Dodge dealership to buy a Super Bee Charger in Hemi Orange. Pulled in and saw the Hemi Orange Challenger, I opened the passenger side door and sat in the back seat to see how much room was in the back as I am 6'-2" and go 280 and I had NO problem at all! They had three of them in stock and I said which one has NAV and a sunroof, that's the one we will take! Bang, the rest is history! LOL

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I was in the market for a muscle car, period. I spend a good 2 years looking at a lot of classics and wanted a Mopar but my second choice would have been an AMC and third choice would have been a Ford. I watched and read about the Challengers and that Hemi. I almost jumped on a 2008 SRT but when I heard the R/T was coming out with a 6 speed I was "sold".
Back to my first choice a Mopar, manual transmission, and the bonus was the available Hemi. Cruised into the dealership looked at an R/T, it was bare bones compared to most but it had what I wanted so the deal was made in October 2008. I still have it and still loving it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts