Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would especially love to hear from someone that's also owned/driven a Scat. I'm thankful to God for my SP WB, and I think she'll finally be "the one" I finally keep forever (serial car flipper junky here :)). But I love FCA and MOPAR magic, and get excited thinking about all their beautiful beasts.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,492 Posts
Owned a 2018 Scat Pack for a while -- 2 months -- before trading it in for a 2018 Hellcat.

As long as one is judicious with the gas pedal the two cars are very very similar.

'course, if one is not "judicious" with the gas pedal while the Scat Pack can get up and go the Hellcat gets up and GOES!

Hind sight is 20 20 but I sort of regret getting rid of the Scat Pack. My "research" had me convinced of the 3 choices: R/T (5.7L), Scat Pack (6.4L) and the Hellcat (6.2L) the Scat Pack with the 6.4L engine was the "best". Best from a power point of view balanced against the relatively simplicity of the engine compared to the Hellcat with its supercharger and inter cooler cooling system.

One reason I decided to get rid of my Porsche 996 Turbo was the cost of dealing with turbo issues as the miles accumulated. While the turbos were fine even with 161K miles on the car.and I was aware of other cars which had covered double or triple that number of miles with no turbo issues I did not believe I would be so lucky.

Then I get a car with a supercharger...

As the 3 year anniversary of my Hellcat ownership approaches -- it will be I think Feb. 17, 2021 -- I am debating selling the Hellcat. Would I buy another Scat Pack? Really until now I hadn't considered that rather I had considered buying a Mercedes Benz. (Bought a M-B Metris cargo van a few months ago the M-B dealer here -- as my research indicated -- is superb.)

But it might be interesting to look into trading in the Hellcat for a new WBSP this time if possible with a manual. While I think the A8 is the better transmission for these high powered cars I like the manual for its simplicity and easy/straight forward fluid services. My experience is with regular fluid changes and some reasonable use manual transmissions are very long lived. I have put 150K, 161K, even 317K miles on cars with manuals and not have one transmission problem. (Had a shifter break once.)

With the A8 I'm not convinced it would deliver the same trouble free long life as I have experienced with manuals.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
All post above are good points.
Given my personal experience.
It's like having your 1st beer and losing your virginity all over again....Ha!.
The minute you start her up it's different...
The first time you stomp on that throttle (for merging purposes only of course)
‘hearing that supercharger..Then that blast...whoaaa...instant grin...
I've been driving my 2018 6.4 T/A (Still Stock- No Tune- YET) )
for the last 2 weeks...And....I love this car......But...
Big But...It's not the same feeling you get when you're in a Hellcat.
That's my take on, "What's it's like to drive a Hellcat".. ......;)

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,398 Posts
I went from a 13' R/T to a 16' Scat Pack to a 16' Hellcat... all 6 spd cars... like already mentioned with the Hellcat its just faster.. from a stand still the SP can put the traction down a little better... but once you are rolling... watch out... speed builds so quickly, the roar/whine , etc.. its insane.... whats crazier.. I am looking to get mine tuned... cause I have a sickness and the only prescription is more HP.... oh, and the car is a rock star ... everywhere you go, folks will compliment the car and or ask questions... folks on the road will entice you to get on it just to hear it or watch it take off... and it played a part in getting me OUT of a speeding ticket...lol... now with all that said.. I think the A8 Scat Pack would probably be a better around town car (aggressively geared) ... because you really need wide open spaces to get the HC going ... imho...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Owned a 2018 Scat Pack for a while -- 2 months -- before trading it in for a 2018 Hellcat.

As long as one is judicious with the gas pedal the two cars are very very similar.

'course, if one is not "judicious" with the gas pedal while the Scat Pack can get up and go the Hellcat gets up and GOES!

Hind sight is 20 20 but I sort of regret getting rid of the Scat Pack. My "research" had me convinced of the 3 choices: R/T (5.7L), Scat Pack (6.4L) and the Hellcat (6.2L) the Scat Pack with the 6.4L engine was the "best". Best from a power point of view balanced against the relatively simplicity of the engine compared to the Hellcat with its supercharger and inter cooler cooling system.

One reason I decided to get rid of my Porsche 996 Turbo was the cost of dealing with turbo issues as the miles accumulated. While the turbos were fine even with 161K miles on the car.and I was aware of other cars which had covered double or triple that number of miles with no turbo issues I did not believe I would be so lucky.

Then I get a car with a supercharger...

As the 3 year anniversary of my Hellcat ownership approaches -- it will be I think Feb. 17, 2021 -- I am debating selling the Hellcat. Would I buy another Scat Pack? Really until now I hadn't considered that rather I had considered buying a Mercedes Benz. (Bought a M-B Metris cargo van a few months ago the M-B dealer here -- as my research indicated -- is superb.)

But it might be interesting to look into trading in the Hellcat for a new WBSP this time if possible with a manual. While I think the A8 is the better transmission for these high powered cars I like the manual for its simplicity and easy/straight forward fluid services. My experience is with regular fluid changes and some reasonable use manual transmissions are very long lived. I have put 150K, 161K, even 317K miles on cars with manuals and not have one transmission problem. (Had a shifter break once.)

With the A8 I'm not convinced it would deliver the same trouble free long life as I have experienced with manuals.
Good write-up, Rockster.

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have Challenger HC for 4 years now, and have 3.6 as my daily. Never owned a 392 other than test drives. As mentioned, they are a good balance between 5.7's and Hellcats. City driving I think they are almost identical, but a different story on the highway. Hellcats pull like crazy with no limit in site, and the sc whine is intoxicating! It's so easy to get well into triple digits. I've had my fun on the dragstrip and spirited driving, but I would easily trade it in for a Charger SP Widebody due to being more practical. I've pretty much gotten that type of power out of my system, and the 392 could satisfy my need for speed. But I would really miss that whine though!

·
Registered
2019 SRT Hellcat
79 Posts
I have Challenger HC for 4 years now, and have 3.6 as my daily. Never owned a 392 other than test drives. As mentioned, they are a good balance between 5.7's and Hellcats. City driving I think they are almost identical, but a different story on the highway. Hellcats pull like crazy with no limit in site, and the sc whine is intoxicating! It's so easy to get well into triple digits. I've had my fun on the dragstrip and spirited driving, but I would easily trade it in for a Charger SP Widebody due to being more practical. I've pretty much gotten that type of power out of my system, and the 392 could satisfy my need for speed. But I would really miss that whine though!
To me it doesn't seem "practical" being their mpg and the cars are identical. The only difference is the price and motor.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
If you want to be happy with what you have then do not drive a Hellcat - ever.

Might be the same with the Redeye so I am not driving one - ever.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What’s it like? Stock on the street HC vs SP, 0-60 about the same. 60-130 close, 90-150 HC shines for sure. Tuned 60-200 nothing comes close, at the track with a 17” tire No comparison 😂
59F34B1F-8760-40AF-B470-5D97C9C81E75.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
To me it doesn't seem "practical" being their mpg and the cars are identical. The only difference is the price and motor.
I meant a Charger SP Widebody is more practical than Challenger HC as far as extra doors.
If you want to be happy with what you have then do not drive a Hellcat - ever.
Might be the same with the Redeye so I am not driving one - ever.
I agree with this statement.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
What’s it like? Stock on the street HC vs SP, 0-60 about the same. 60-130 close, 90-150 HC shines for sure. Tuned 60-200 nothing comes close, at the track with a 17” tire No comparison 😂
View attachment 264047
Idk if I agree with the 60-130 being close. I've literally walked away from a 392 in similar situation before I hit 100, and my car is mostly stock other than CAI. But I could be wrong....

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
see, you bring up a good point yourself, you had a turbo porsche. now, if you had a 911, a sport s and a gts which would you choose? same principle here. if you are just going for that quick blast to a 100 to hear the engine roar, then no, don't get it. your mpg will be atrocious. (and yes, if you can afford to get a h/c you don't really care about the mileage) but the biggest thing, that you also pointed out, the supercharger. yes, there have been cars with over 200k mileage, heck my turbo volvo hit 400k+ and that was modded up to its eyeteeth. but, i had replaced the turbos 3 times. i wonder why h/c are so cheap, when you can find them, used. maintenance will be more than the s/p because off the supercharger. i know myself, that is why i didn't go for any of the h/c, redeye, demon variants. i would have lost my license and posting from jail the first night out. scat is the perfect balance for me, and i have had modded cars in the 800-1000 hp range, granted, they were horrible on the street, but it was fun.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Idk if I agree with the 60-130 being close. I've literally walked away from a 392 in similar situation before I hit 100, and my car is mostly stock other than CAI. But I could be wrong....
No, your about right, side by side 60-130 you can see it especially up top but seat of the pants the 392 is no slouch and a fun ride and unless you race often the price difference may not be worth it to those that don’t. Some owners have never seen 100 with their cars let alone beyond. I’d take a SP as my daily no problem!!

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,219 Posts

Well, the scat pack wide body is rated 15/24.....hellcat widebody is rated 13/21......

...not so sure identical fits here.......

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,492 Posts
Well, the scat pack wide body is rated 15/24.....hellcat widebody is rated 13/21......

...not so sure identical fits here.......
Except for those on a very tight budget or just overly OCD a few MPG between the Scat Pack and Hellcat is of no real concern. The purchase price would be the biggest road block to buying a Hellcat vs. a Scat Pack. If you can justify the Hellcat price if you squawk about the gas mileage...Come on, man.

In my new Scat Pack. Too early to make any determination about gas mileage -- but so far it appears a bit worse than the Hellcat. The Scat Pack manual I think is to blame. With the Hellcat high miler mode is leaving the transmission in D and being judiciuos with the gas pedal. The transmission upshifts at pretty low speeds and engine RPMs stay around or under 1500. With the Scat Pack I have not yet developed (re learned, been a while since I drove a manual) high miler mode for a manual transmission equipped car.

Besides the differences in transmissions the biggest difference I notice is the Scat Pack feels lighter. When I got in my Hellcat and turned the wheel to leave a tight parking space I thought the power steering had failed. With the Scat Pack under the same conditions the car feels much lighter. The Hellcat front tires were quite worn not quite to the wear bars but close. The Scat Pack tires are of course new. Also they appear to be -- I haven't gotten down on my hands and knees to get up close enough to see the lettering on the sidewall -- summer high performance tires. At least this is what the window sticker has listed.

Exhaust sounds different. Oh, so far engine oil temperature of the Scat Pack runs quite a bit higher/hotter. I had to drive the Hellcat for some time in city conditions to get the oil to 212F and beyond. With the Scat Pack the oil temperature gets up to 212F and beyond -- 226F today -- no matter how I drive the Scat Pack and I don't beat on it as it has less than 500 miles.

On the freeway the Hellcat oil temperature would drop quite dramatically.. Same conditions with the Scat Pack and the oil level doesn't drop all that much, just a few degrees.

Another difference. The Scat Pack parking brake pedal has a release pull. The Hellcat one had to step on the pedal again to get it released. Can't tell you how much effort it is taking me to unlearn that.

And I still find myself wanting to pull a paddle to up shift or even down shift when of course with the Scat Pack there are no paddles. I have to shift well, manually...

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,219 Posts
And while I do agree the difference in fuel economy is small in miles per gallon.....but it is still a roughly 15% difference......the point was they are not even close to identical...........

·
Premium Member
12,479 Posts
I guess I will chime in here... my 14 Challenger is supercharged and has about 510 RWHP on the right day. Our HC Charger is a totally different animal, from a 40 mph roll you will still completely break the tires loose. Only at a 50 mph plus roll will you get from 50 to 120 in big hurry. Do you need that ?? No my Challenger is a blast but as the man once said.. “speed changes you”....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts