Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

I bought new wheels for the Summer tires, and will use the wheels that came with the car for the Winter.

The new wheels are MRR Ground Force 9, copper plated, and the 16(???) Gorilla wheel locks that came with them are chrome and about 2.5 inches long. I would rather have shorter lug nuts and in black.

What kind of wheel locks should I get? I thought that the Gorilla 20 set looked good, but Amazon claims that they won't fit, and I can't get any dealers to answer me. These look like they ~might~ fit

GORILLA OEM BLACK LOCKING SET 05-16 CHALLENGER, CHARGER, 300, MAGNUM

More Images:

Speedlogix Price: $99.88

Product Code: GOR-96643BDX

Also, what size torque wrench should I get? I have read 22 mm, 21 mm, 7/8 inches....?

Challenger: 2017 SXT+ Plus Blacktop and Supertrak.

Thank you! :)

·
Old School Look!
3,391 Posts
Sorry Brother I have chrome wheels. I didn't have to worry about black ones. I know some one will answer up soon.

·
Premium Member
12,627 Posts
Your avatar is awesome !

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,374 Posts
Hi!

I bought new wheels for the Summer tires, and will use the wheels that came with the car for the Winter.

The new wheels are MRR Ground Force 9, copper plated, and the 16(???) Gorilla wheel locks that came with them are chrome and about 2.5 inches long. I would rather have shorter lug nuts and in black.

What kind of wheel locks should I get? I thought that the Gorilla 20 set looked good, but Amazon claims that they won't fit, and I can't get any dealers to answer me. These look like they ~might~ fit

GORILLA OEM BLACK LOCKING SET 05-16 CHALLENGER, CHARGER, 300, MAGNUM

More Images:

Speedlogix Price: $99.88

Product Code: GOR-96643BDX

Also, what size torque wrench should I get? I have read 22 mm, 21 mm, 7/8 inches....?

Challenger: 2017 SXT+ Plus Blacktop and Supertrak.

Thank you! :)
I don't know why they wouldn't fit. I bought the exact same set for my 2013 R/T and had no issues. 14mm x 1.50 RH.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks! Love those copper wheels!

I called SpeedLogix and they recommended that I get GOR-71643NBC rather than GOR-96643BDX because the wheels are AM, not OEM. I was just as happy because they are half the price.

MRR said that the nuts should be hand-tightened rather than torqued.... Is that what you do, HemiMetal?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
"hand-tightened rather than torqued" ?
That doesn't sound very good. Maybe hand tighten all the lug nuts before torquing them.

Although I didn't start using a torque wrench until after about 45 years of car ownership.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The manual calls for 130lbs but I've dropped it down to 90 with the gorilla lugs. I broke off a stud torqueing them to 130 with the oem lugs. Even the dealership thought 130 was too much

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,374 Posts
Thanks! Love those copper wheels!

I called SpeedLogix and they recommended that I get GOR-71643NBC rather than GOR-96643BDX because the wheels are AM, not OEM. I was just as happy because they are half the price.

MRR said that the nuts should be hand-tightened rather than torqued.... Is that what you do, HemiMetal?
No, I torqued them to 100 ft lbs. My wheels are also after-market, not OEM.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The manual calls for 130lbs but I've dropped it down to 90 with the gorilla lugs. I broke off a stud torqueing them to 130 with the oem lugs. Even the dealership thought 130 was too much
130 may be more then required for your car, depending on the year and model.
But aside from that, you may want to check the accuracy of your torque wrench. A 14 mm bolt should not shear at 130 lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts