Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,382 Posts
Depends........mainly on what kind/style and how much do they add thickness wise....

I run 2" spacers/adapters on my jeep with no issues.....but they bolt onto the hub, and the rim bolts onto them....

The big thing is spacers less than 1" can't be bolted on like the ones on my jeep, and how thick they are will decrease how many threads there are available for the lug nut to screw on to to actually hold the rim on.........

Rule of thumb is the thickness of your lug stud is the absolute minimum amount of thread protrusion you need.....
IE: if you have a 1/2" diameter lug stud, you need at least 1/2" of threads showing thru the rim AFTER you put the rim on.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
My dad used to tell me that they can cause premature axle bearing wear.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,382 Posts
My dad used to tell me that they can cause premature axle bearing wear.

They can, but if you use them correctly, it'll be fine. The important thing is that the tire is still reasonable centered side to side on the wheel bearing. If you have the tire sticking way out there, then yes, it will kill your bearings quickly.

Like on my jeep......there is no difference in the load the wheel bearing sees with the rims & spacers I run or a factory rim

I am running a factory rim off a different model jeep with a 6" backspacing and a a 2" spacer...but I could have also bought a new aftermarket rim with 4" of backspacing. It would put the tire in the same spot, and would not change the load on the wheel bearing.

Now, if I ran the stock rims with 4" backspacing and a 2" spacer, then yes, it could hurt them, as the tire would be moved out 2" farther and would put increased leverage on the wheel bearings.

Look at a dually truck......the front axle is the same for a dual rear wheel or a single rear wheel model...they just put a big spacer on it so you can run the same rims as are used on the rear.

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
122 Posts
I hope they're safe, I just installed Eibach 25mm spacers on all four wheels on my new 2021 RT I did it so I could use a set of aftermarket wheels from my '17 GT. Stock wheels are are 24mm offset and my FK Ethos wheels are 35mm. By installing the spacers I'm, in effect, changing the offset of my aftermarkets to 10 mm. That would mean I've only moved the set-up out 14mm (a little over 1/2 inch. The Eibach spacers are are a quality product. My wheels & tires look great with the slightly more aggressive stance and I see no problems with what I did.

As a side note....if anybody wants a brand new set of factory wheels and Goodyear Eagle RS-A's.........check out the For Sale forum!

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,382 Posts
I hope they're safe, I just installed Eibach 25mm spacers on all four wheels on my new 2021 RT I did it so I could use a set of aftermarket wheels from my '17 GT. Stock wheels are are 24mm offset and my FK Ethos wheels are 35mm. By installing the spacers I'm, in effect, changing the offset of my aftermarkets to 10 mm. That would mean I've only moved the set-up out 14mm (a little over 1/2 inch. The Eibach spacers are are a quality product. My wheels & tires look great with the slightly more aggressive stance and I see no problems with what I did.

As a side note....if anybody wants a brand new set of factory wheels and Goodyear Eagle RS-A's.........check out the For Sale forum!

As long as you have at least 1/2" of threads for the lug nut thread on to, you should be ok......but you should check....you're in the concern zone adding 1/2" like that

·
Registered
122 Posts
The wheels attach to the lugs on the spacers. The spacers aren't just some plates you put over the stock rotors. I had to replace the stock studs to get the proper fit for the spacer, then put the wheels on the spacer studs. I was just out for a short cruise (in the snow!!!) and everything seems perfect.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,382 Posts
OK, you got the correct kind then....like what I have on my jeep.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have 1/4" spacers on my 2012 SRT8 now. Had 20mm adapters on my 2010 SRT8. No issues what so ever. No vibrations or premature anything going on. Make sure the hub surface is clean so they mount tight and flush.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I use 10mm spacers on the rear BUT I installed longer wheel studs so I could have enough thread to safely torque down

Reactions: TRCM

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm running 5 mm spacers so my rear 315x35x20 tires do not rub. Research I did states this is a OK set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts