Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all new to this forum and a new 2014 Challenger RT owner. Seems like everyone starts with a catch can and 180 t stat. Just wanted to see what people think should be next on the list.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
If you're installing a catch can, you'll probably want to install a CAI or replace the stock air tube with one from a 5.7L Charger, or an OEM air tube from an SRT8. The R/T's airtube has an annoying silencer that sits over the mounting bolts where you would install the catch can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to get started and looking for advice at where to start. So maybe a CAI and a catch can. t stat won't do anything without a tuner from what I just read.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Typically the progression is something like this (everyone has their version of "the list" of course :) )

- catch can, CAI
- some then go sequential tail lights....
- exhaust (reso deletes - be careful on auto as their is DRONE moreso than on 6 speeds, muffler replacements, catbacks, and eventually shorty headers (or LTs - but only if you are adding more power mods, otherwise you will get better lower end torque with the shorties - and the shorties dont throw codes like LTs do))
- lighting and exterior bling - sooooo much to cover, thats probably its own thread
- wheels and tires, brake upgrades
- engine bay bling (half covers, billet accesories, hood scoops (shakers or T/As), coil pack covers, hoses, custom reservoirs, etc,
- suspension mods - lowering kits, tower braces (front and rear), rear ends, drag radials, etc.
- engine mods - tuners, cam, heads, fuel system, nitrous or superchargers or turbos

By this point you are a much poorer (but no doubt happier) Challenger owner !

·
Registered
640 Posts
A catch-can is a must. You will be surprised at how much oil these things prevent from going back into the engine.

Exhaust would be my first 'performance' mod. You can go with a full cat back system, (which will run you around $1,000 bucks.) You can simply change to after market mufflers, you can also the resonator delete with after market mufflers as well. Since you have a six speed the drone you can get from an after market system is less of a worry.

CAI is really nice eye candy in the engine bay. There are also a few systems that pull pull air from deeper in the fender well that may give you a few more HP but overall your gains will be pretty slight. I have read the LMI CAI systems do produce decent gains on the dyno but are a bit expensive. I have a Volant which is an enclosed system with a snorkel that drops down into the fender. I can honestly say I felt a slight bump in throttle response but that is about it. You can get the same feeling if you pull the #2 fuse once a month or so.

Not saying that there are no benefits to a CAI system just don't expect any miracles. You probably get the same results from a drop in filter. The stock box already draws air from underneath.

If it were me, I would go with the catch can, and get the exhaust done. Find the sound you like the most and go with it. I would suggest going to some car shows and hearing the exhaust in person. I would also seriously consider some mud guards front and back either the RPI stealth or the Mopar ones. They really do help protect the paint. Like you, I have a black car and as you know EVERYTHING shows up on them.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Typically the progression is something like this (everyone has their version of "the list" of course :) )

- catch can, CAI
- some then go sequential tail lights....
- exhaust (reso deletes - be careful on auto as their is DRONE moreso than on 6 speeds, muffler replacements, catbacks, and eventually shorty headers (or LTs - but only if you are adding more power mods, otherwise you will get better lower end torque with the shorties - and the shorties dont throw codes like LTs do))
- lighting and exterior bling - sooooo much to cover, thats probably its own thread
- wheels and tires, brake upgrades
- engine bay bling (half covers, billet accesories, hood scoops (shakers or T/As), coil pack covers, hoses, custom reservoirs, etc,
- suspension mods - lowering kits, tower braces (front and rear), rear ends, drag radials, etc.
- engine mods - tuners, cam, heads, fuel system, nitrous or superchargers or turbos

By this point you are a much poorer (but no doubt happier) Challenger owner !
Chrysler/Dodge should just add all of these to the build and let the buyer delete the ones he or she doesn't want!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
You can add exterior mods to your liking....so many choices, but for me, anything that improved performance was at the top of my list:

1) Catch Can
2) CAI
3) Exhaust
4) Tune
5) Lowering Kit
6) Bigger Rubber

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went in this order

CAI
Engine dress up cover
Jet 180
InTune DCX
Resonator delete
Nitto NT05 drag radials
Hurst shifter

only at 400 miles, catch can coming next

·
12,990 Posts
When modding its important to have a step by step plan based on where you want to be when your finished, some people don't do this and end up spending money needlessly when their plans change.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
When modding its important to have a step by step plan based on where you want to be when your finished, some people don't do this and end up spending money needlessly when their plans change.

True Dat - Alan, I totally agree

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have gone a little different route on mine.
1. Lockpick and Back up camera
2. Traction Control Delete (Makes Burnouts much better)
3. New Mufflers
Next:
CAI and Catch Can
Front and Rear Strut Mounts (We go to Track)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts