Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to tell which O2 Sensor wiring harness goes to which O2 Sensor?

On my 2011 Challenger SRT8, the connectors at the end of the upstream and downstream O2 Sensor wiring harnesses are both black with no marks or color coding or keying indicating which is which. They appear to be completely interchangeable and in fact you can connect either connector to either O2 Sensor.

The wiring harnesses do have different color wires in each but I cannot find the color code breakdown anywhere.

Has anyone had any experience figuring out which harness/connector goes to which of the 2 O2Sensors? I need a 100% positive way to tell.

Thanks.
:4-dontknow:

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
I'll take a stab at this one. this info is from a 2009 SRT so I don't know if it would apply to your year or not. It's something to check out though. Each connector will have 4 wires in them with the following color codes:

Upstream on the drivers side - Brown wire with a light green stripe - a black wire - a brown wire with a dark green stripe - a dark blue wire with a light blue stripe.

Upstream on the passengers side - Brown wire with a violet stripe - a black wire - a brown wire with a dark green stripe - a dark blue wire with a light green stripe.

Downstream on the drivers side - Brown wire with a white stripe - a black wire with a brown stripe - a dark blue wire with a dark green stripe - a dark blue wire with a yellow stripe.

Downsteam on the passengers side - Brown wire with a grey stripe - a black wire with a brown stripe - a dark blue wire with a dark green stripe - a brown wire.

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take a stab at this one. this info is from a 2009 SRT so I don't know if it would apply to your year or not. It's something to check out though. Each connector will have 4 wires in them with the following color codes:

Upstream on the drivers side - Brown wire with a light green stripe - a black wire - a brown wire with a dark green stripe - a dark blue wire with a light blue stripe.

Upstream on the passengers side - Brown wire with a violet stripe - a black wire - a brown wire with a dark green stripe - a dark blue wire with a light green stripe.

Downstream on the drivers side - Brown wire with a white stripe - a black wire with a brown stripe - a dark blue wire with a dark green stripe - a dark blue wire with a yellow stripe.

Downsteam on the passengers side - Brown wire with a grey stripe - a black wire with a brown stripe - a dark blue wire with a dark green stripe - a brown wire.
Thanks TJGS! Your information got me on the right track to connecting both O2 Sensors the right way. On my 2011 Challenger SRT8 only 2 of the wires in one of the O2 Wire Harnesses were different so we were able to isolate which one connected where. Interestingly though, the owner of a custom shop that did a lot of the original wiring and installation of my Solo Hi-Flow Cats stated this about my problem;
---------------------
The upstream plug is higher "up" than the downstream sensor.

You can tell the difference by simply looking.

The sensors are actually keyed - the slots are in different places.

If the sensors were reversed you would get a specific code - these cars are more than capable of identifying sensors in the harness.

Well, the shop that was helping me to diagnose the Check Engine codes I was getting could not identify these things nor find reference to them anywhere on the "Net" or on any web sites/pages that Dodge or Chrysler publishes.
-------------------
I wonder if anyone in this forum has ever heard about these things before? I'm all ears.
-------------------
BTW...The latest update on my problem is that I had to replace both O2 Sensors on the left/drivers side and so far the CE Codes have stopped. I need to get my State Inspection done by the end of June so I've got my fingers crossed that my problems are now history. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts