Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not able to keep the 426 cool with the stock R/T radiator, in the summer with AC on in traffic it creeps up to 210-215*.
I have come across an SRT radiator that I can get, but it doesn't look that much beefier than the R/T model.
Comparing it to the radiator I have now, it's maybe 1" thicker across the top.
Has anyone upgraded the R/T radiator for an SRT model?
Was there a noticeable improvement in cooling?
The other option is an aftermarket model, but those start at $600...
any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I kept the OE SRT rad. in my 426 build and works fine on the street. Track day temps. go up a bit but that’s expected. Put in a 160 deg. t’stat and temps hover around 180 to 185 for oil and coolant temps.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,559 Posts
Thin
I kept the OE SRT rad. in my 426 build and works fine on the street. Track day temps. go up a bit but that’s expected. Put in a 160 deg. t’stat and temps hover around 180 to 185 for oil and coolant temps.
Just thinking out loud here. ....Isn't the OEM SRT radiator also cooled with 2 fans, where as the R/T uses 1? ..:unsure:

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call about the fan setup, yes mine has only one. Maybe that's why it's ok when cruising but not when stopped...here's a pic from the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Besides changing out the T'stat and /or the fans, or even the radiator, are you using the right radiator fluid? Do the SRT's use a different color fluid? My stock R/T has the pink stuff.
The T'stat was one of the biggest changes done by members.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am running a 180* t-stat, the coolant is red - i don't recall the name but it was listed as approved for use on the 6.1 block I am using.
The coolant temps before the engine swap never exceeded 190, now it only gets that low when cruising. Maybe it's the 100* days we have here, or maybe the stock R/T radiator isn't up to the task.
I have not seen many performance replacement fan options so I'm guessing the SRT two fan setup must be well engineered.
thinking about this for a replacement

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Thank You for your clarification! The Dual Fan setup you are proposing looks absolutely the way to go!
Definitely following this thread! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will do, it may be a hot minute though.
presently work is demanding 99% of my time due to the current medical 'situation'.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you do want a new radiator...Check Ron Davis Radiators...

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you do want a new radiator...Check Ron Davis Radiators...
I sent them an email last week but still have not heard back.
Since the fan swap only takes a matter of minutes I will probably try that first.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I think the fan swap is a good idea. I base this on the fact that air movement drawn through the radiator is very critical in dissipating heat.
I owned a '69 Camaro with a 427. The original radiator was used. I thought that I wanted more exposure of the engine bay to look cool, and so removed the the fan shroud. BIG MISTAKE! This disrupted the direct suctioning of air drawn through the radiator and channeling that air over a hot engine. Over heating occurred and quickly. Putting the shroud back on returned the system to normal. I think in my case even a dual fan set up may not have helped without the shroud.
I believe in your case the dual fan will help by drawing more air through the radiator coils.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the fan swap is a good idea. I base this on the fact that air movement drawn through the radiator is very critical in dissipating heat.
I owned a '69 Camaro with a 427. The original radiator was used. I thought that I wanted more exposure of the engine bay to look cool, and so removed the the fan shroud. BIG MISTAKE! This disrupted the direct suctioning of air drawn through the radiator and channeling that air over a hot engine. Over heating occurred and quickly. Putting the shroud back on returned the system to normal. I think in my case even a dual fan set up may not have helped without the shroud.
I believe in your case the dual fan will help by drawing more air through the radiator coils.
Yes no shroud is no bueno, specially with a mechanical fan, electric fans have a built in shroud so you may have been ok. I was running dual electric 16" fans mounted directly to the back of the radiator on my 01 5.9 Ram 1500 and it worked great.

My wife and I took the Challenger for a drive yesterday to pickup some items and to get it out of the garage (it sits a lot).
The ambient temp here in TX was 90*, with approximately 60% humidity.
With the A/C on moving at 30 mph or faster the engine coolant temps would stay at 188-190 cruising ~1500 rpms, hard acceleration would spike it up to 195.
Idling in traffic coolant temps would hover around 195*, once moving it would drop back down.
I don't think water pump speed is the issue, as the car idles ~900, I'm guessing it has more to due with air flow (or lack thereof).

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Reading over your signature,I see you have the Derale oil cooler. Are you looking at their dual fans as well?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reading over your signature,I see you have the Derale oil cooler. Are you looking at their dual fans as well?
no, the oil cooler I have is mounted in front of the condenser coil, it gets plenty of air as the oil temps rarely get above 190*.
If I relocate it (and there is room) I may install a small pusher fan on the cooler. I went this route on a remote trans cooler for an 01 Ram and it worked well.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sorry, I reread my post and possibly confused the issue. I meant are you looking at Derale for their dual fans for your radiator since you are using their oil cooler. But remounting the oil cooler and using a small pusher fan for that is a good idea. I'll try to be less confusing in my posts in the future!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no worries. I am not always the most clear & concise when I post either.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pulled the trigger on a 2 row radiator on Rockauto that drops in place of the factory 5.7 setup.
It's the same part number used on the 6.4, and with the additional row of tubes it should provide the added cooling capacity needed.
Total shipped with discount was just over $100, should be here on or before 6 April.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Keep us posted! Maybe a couple of Pics to show how it's done and what it looks like in, before it's all buttoned up.
Really a nice read!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so since I am replacing the radiator I figure I should change the coolant also.
I used dexCool when I first filled the cooling system after the build, as it was the only HOAT compatible coolant that the parts house had on hand.
I was reading that Zerex G05 might be better suited for my application.
I know i'll need to thoroughly flush the cooling system so as not to mix the two together, but is there any benefit to switching to Zerex from dexcool?
The dexcool is red where the original coolant in the car was orange.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Keep us posted! Maybe a couple of Pics to show how it's done and what it looks like in, before it's all buttoned up.
Really a nice read!
I'm expecting it to be a messy pain in the ass, I'll be doing the swap in my garage on my back / creeper - no lift :-(

on the upside I can take my time.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts