Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
no direct fit setup from be cool, calling Ron Davis and American Muscle

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
American Muscle suggests I try removing / relocating the oil cooler and swap to a 2 fan setup before replacing the radiator. They seem to think that the Cold Case radiator will help some, but they are not sure it will get the 20* drop I'm looking for (190* down to 170*).
I appreciate them taking the time to talk to me and not just try and sell a product.
Still waiting to hear back from Ron Davis...
In the mean time I'll unhook the oil cooler and move it down out of the way, see if that helps some.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Be Cool does custom apps. I've used them in the past although not for MOPAR builds. Very high quality though and I can probably dig around for a contact for you if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Be Cool does custom apps. I've used them in the past although not for MOPAR builds. Very high quality though and I can probably dig around for a contact for you if you'd like.
I appreciate it, but I'm not sure I could afford a custom built radiator assembly. I got a quote for $1100 from another vendor, which is probably the reason I'll be going with Cold Case or mushimoto.

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
494 Posts
careful on some of the China ones. you'll be taking the front end apart again.. trust me ..
Just a FYI for all.. i you order the New Dorman fan unit. 2 fan setup.. is has the brushless motors now ..
when i put in my ron davis radiator, an 160 ther. i went with it. an works awesome. also more room in there.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I appreciate it, but I'm not sure I could afford a custom built radiator assembly. I got a quote for $1100 from another vendor, which is probably the reason I'll be going with Cold Case or mushimoto.
You are right around $1500 or perhaps a bit more with Be Cool depending upon options. That's been my case at least but you get unsurpassed quality and guaranteed fitment.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ron davis was actually the more reasonable of the two high end options. I called one shop that was going to fabricate a custom radiator with 1.5 inch tubes, 2 rows, but the total without fans was going to be $1400.
Right now I'm on the fence between a Cold Case from American muscle for about 500 and a Ron Davis which is a bit more proven for almost double

Reactions: HemifeverAZ

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Calling Ron Davis racing tomorrow...pics to follow.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I had forgotten how large the oil cooler was. Removed it last night after a draining the oil for a oil change. It got a little beat up in the process... I may also still be working air out of the system as I keep needing to add about 18 oz to the reservoir or after it cools down and I check it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Still no Bueno even with the oil cooler removed, 200 highway 215 city. And the oil temps are now 220 without the cooler.
Just pulled the trigger on an custom radiator unit from entrophy cooling.
It's built to order so lead time is 4 weeks. The owner said this was the best way to go if I'm adding boost later.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Damn this covid bs...radiator has been delayed another 2 weeks due to employee illness. can't get mad at the vendor, but hate waiting.
The temps have been below 100 for the last few days and the ECT stays ~195-200 with the AC on.
Good enough for now but no way it would be sufficient with an intercooler stacked infront...
Pics to follow upon receipt of radiator and installation.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,868 Posts
Do you have a dual fan setup yet ?

I see you have gone thru 2 radiators, and no mention of installing a dual fan set up that I saw.....

When you are in traffic, all you need is more airflow...not more radiator.....

Did I miss something ??

Are you SURE you don't have any exhaust gases getting into the coolant ? I had a similar issue with a 69 pontiac 428 HO in a 76 firebird body..........turned out it had a small head gasket leak....

Reactions: HemifeverAZ

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
494 Posts
What brand did you go with

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Do you have a dual fan setup yet ?
I see you have gone thru 2 radiators, and no mention of installing a dual fan set up that I saw.....
When you are in traffic, all you need is more airflow...not more radiator.....
Did I miss something ??
Are you SURE you don't have any exhaust gases getting into the coolant ? I had a similar issue with a 69 pontiac 428 HO in a 76 firebird body..........turned out it had a small head gasket leak....
The problem occurs at speed or when in traffic.
I doubt I have a head gasket problem based on the compression test and that I just built the engine less than 10k miles ago.
Also if I was having head gasket issues I would have this problem regardless of ambient temps and there would be contamination in the coolant.

What brand did you go with
Entropy custom 2 row.
Been 110 to 115 here in Las Vegas. My coolant temp varies from 201 to 205, oil temp has reached 215. Not really concerned.
If mine was mostly stock I would not be concerned.
The higher the combustion chamber temps the more prone it is to knock due to the CR.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,868 Posts
The problem occurs at speed or when in traffic.
I doubt I have a head gasket problem based on the compression test and that I just built the engine less than 10k miles ago.
Also if I was having head gasket issues I would have this problem regardless of ambient temps and there would be contamination in the coolant.

Entropy custom 2 row.

If mine was mostly stock I would not be concerned.
The higher the combustion chamber temps the more prone it is to knock due to the CR.

Contamination in the coolant ?? You mean exhaust gases ??

When I had the small head gasket problem the engine had less than 1000 miles on it...the fact that it was just built is irrevelant.....1 small nick in the gasket, and it will leak, brand new or 200k.

And it happened running and in traffic, but mainly when in traffic.

Just trying to relay similar problems and the solution that solved it...........

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Contamination in the coolant ?? You mean exhaust gases ??

When I had the small head gasket problem the engine had less than 1000 miles on it...the fact that it was just built is irrevelant.....1 small nick in the gasket, and it will leak, brand new or 200k.

And it happened running and in traffic, but mainly when in traffic.

Just trying to relay similar problems and the solution that solved it...........
I appreciate the suggestion, but I highly doubt that is the issue.
The gaskets I used were high quality MLS, and I was extremely careful during assembly.
There would surely be other signs of crankcase gasses venting into the cooling system, such as contamination in the coolant (from exhaust gasses & burned fuel), excessive positive pressure in the cooling system causing coolant to be expelled via the overflow, and lower compression in the compromised cylinder(s).

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,868 Posts
I appreciate the suggestion, but I highly doubt that is the issue.
The gaskets I used were high quality MLS, and I was extremely careful during assembly.
There would surely be other signs of crankcase gasses venting into the cooling system, such as contamination in the coolant (from exhaust gasses & burned fuel), excessive positive pressure in the cooling system causing coolant to be expelled via the overflow, and lower compression in the compromised cylinder(s).

HA HA.....I felt the same way....but it took a month of driving for the evidence to show up.

Good luck tho....

Reactions: Gila Hemi
41 - 60 of 98 Posts