Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
494 Posts
^ agreed, but the radiator sits too low by about 1" with the OEM grommets to be secured with the upper supports.

Do you have a link to the fitting you are referring to? The image i pulled up on the googler looked like AN 8 to 6 adapter.
Will that work with the setup I have?

I am going to pickup the brass plug later today so I can get the cooling system pressure tested & finished up, but it would be nice to have a better method to drain the radiator.
you will need to reach out to the mfg. for your rad. an ask them what the thread size an type is for that drain location.
the ron davis is a ORB(o ring boss), which i was able to get a fitting like the link below.
Fitting

Cap

Most local speed shops carry these items.. as they are used alot in dirt track racing applications.. or even a street car or offroad shop.. XRP is just my line of choice from racing exp.
i can upload a pick of mine when i can get into the garage since the car still up on jacks.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Little bit of forward progress: picked up the npt plug and pressurized the cooling system. So far so good 👍

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
494 Posts
make sure you do the electric test to

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Reactions: HemifeverAZ

·
Registered
494 Posts
Here is the test guide.. any aftermarket install radiator good to due this.. life of the radiator is longer when this test passes .

Here is my drain we spoken on

Here is top view of the new brushless fan unit

Attachments

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Got the cooling system purged and buttoned up. Did some booty-fab / roadkill fix for the spacing issue.
Got the Morosoe driveshaft loop installed.
Front belly pan is on, nose will go on tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Starting to look like a car again... nose and front belly pan on (thanks to my better half for helping set the bumper cover/ grill in place).
Tonight: install shaker, park sense wiring, front wheels, oil cooler.
I decided to install the oil cooler under the car rather than behind the chin spoiler for a few reasons, but mainly ease of access. I'm looking at mounting it just behind the front sway bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
^thanks 👍

Car is back together...minus the oil cooler.
The Derale oil cooler is just too large for the location i decided upon, so I will be shopping for a smaller unit, approximately 5x7 (the Derale is 8 x 12).
The location for the oil cooler is going to be on the pass side inner fender, attached to the inner part of the wheel well liner. This area gets plenty of flow as the spoiler opening is directly infront (see pic). I'll space the cooler off the wheel well liner about 2-3" and attach with some plastic rivets. This should provide sufficient cooling when moving.
Installation will require partially removing the wheel well liner to access the other side, then routing the lines to the oil filter.
I debated installing the cooler under the car as previously mentioned, but I don't want the cooler to be the lowest point on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Finally got to crank the car and go for a short drive yesterday, it was too late on Wednesday (it's loud).
Coolant hovered around 190*, oil temps 200*, this was all low speed (30 mph or less) with the AC on high, ambient temps in the 80s.
I carefully removed the reservoir cap yesterday after the drive to burp the system, no bubbles and the coolant level did not surge up like before.
I will be making a 30 min drive today that will include some 80+ mph highway driving, hoping all goes well.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The trip today included some "spirited" driving lol ECTs never got above 195, although the oil temps peaked at 220 with no cooler :-(

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
HemifeverAZ - where did you get the brushless fan?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Is the brushless motor design that much better than regular?
The other makes seem to be ~$100 less.
Mine has the single fan design from the factory, I may update to the 2 fan design if it heats up in traffic.
So far so good, with AC on 185 when cruising, 190-195 in stop & go.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Is the brushless motor design that much better than regular?
The other makes seem to be ~$100 less.
Mine has the single fan design from the factory, I may update to the 2 fan design if it heats up in traffic.
So far so good, with AC on 185 when cruising, 190-195 in stop & go.
way better.. thats why most aftermarkets go this route.. as well corvettes been using them for years. i would guess. i have not looked buy i would bet the newer srt's have them as well..

here are a few reasons as well.
RUSHLESS FAN BENEFITS:
  • High resistance to vibration and mechanical stress levels
  • Very long life under all operating conditions & environment
WHY CHOOSE BRUSHLESS FANS?
  • Brushless Fans Can Move More Air Than Traditional Electric Fan Packages
  • Brushless Fans Are Thinner Than "High Performance" Fan Packages
  • Brushless Fans Can Be Added To Any custom Shroud Package
  • Brushless Fans Run Quieter Than Normal Electric Fans
They also save about 1" of space for the guys that need room for boosted items :)

I run my ron davis with it, its a 3 speed relay which i can adjust settings in hp tuners. I have a 190 stat, i unit my high speed ECTs at 208, and my low speed ECTs at 198 for all modes, A/C on and off, when road tripping so far a rarley hit over 200 temp. on highway in the desert im reading at the dash around 190 in .. when i did major mountian 2 curves i never saw over 210.

been happy with it.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,699 Posts
way better.. thats why most aftermarkets go this route.. as well corvettes been using them for years. i would guess. i have not looked buy i would bet the newer srt's have them as well..

here are a few reasons as well.
RUSHLESS FAN BENEFITS:
  • High resistance to vibration and mechanical stress levels
  • Very long life under all operating conditions & environment
WHY CHOOSE BRUSHLESS FANS?
  • Brushless Fans Can Move More Air Than Traditional Electric Fan Packages
  • Brushless Fans Are Thinner Than "High Performance" Fan Packages
  • Brushless Fans Can Be Added To Any custom Shroud Package
  • Brushless Fans Run Quieter Than Normal Electric Fans
They also save about 1" of space for the guys that need room for boosted items :)

I run my ron davis with it, its a 3 speed relay which i can adjust settings in hp tuners. I have a 190 stat, i unit my high speed ECTs at 208, and my low speed ECTs at 198 for all modes, A/C on and off, when road tripping so far a rarley hit over 200 temp. on highway in the desert im reading at the dash around 190 in .. when i did major mountian 2 curves i never saw over 210.

been happy with it.
What is your reasoning for running a 190° T-stat instead of a 180°?

·
Registered
494 Posts
What is your reasoning for running a 190° T-stat instead of a 180°?
i had a 160 and 180, with how cool the ron davis is running just wanting to record the differences.. so far im always running cool

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,699 Posts
i had a 160 and 180, with how cool the ron davis is running just wanting to record the differences.. so far im always running cool
I'm running with a 180° T-stat because that's what the pros at HHP recommended I go with, the same as my NGK iridium spark plugs are two levels cooler than stock.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts