Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 12 years old, and almost 87k miles I think the shock portion of the factory strut assemblies in the front of my challenger may be due for replacement.
I noticed a good amount of 'float', or bounce when traveling at highway speeds and going over irregularities / dips.
Maybe I wasn't looking in the correct location, but it seems there are no-name and then very expensive options when looking at replacing the struts as an assembly.
I can disassemble the strut assembly and replace only the shock portion, but wanted to get some feedback from those that have done this or replaced the assembly.
I would like to retain the OE ride or possibly something a little bit more firm, the car is not lowered and I have no intention of lowering it.
There is one portion of the interstate i travel on that i have to drop to ~50 mph to keep from bottoming out the chin spoiler belly pan. I was thinking a slightly stiffer / newer shock would help control the bounce from the front end.
I have not seen any adjustable shocks other than coil-overs, which I am not wanting to do, but that would also be an option (if available).
Any advise / suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After much research I ended up going with a set of Bilstein B6s for the front. From summit to my door was around $230. Will report back how they are working out after installation next week.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the car apart, and waiting on parts to arrive. I will be rocking the wife's diesel powered ram until the challenger is back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installation is complete, they look ok but ride way more firm than the stock struts.
The front of the car is also sitting about 1-2 inches higher than before.
I'll try driving a few more miles to see if it settles. If not I'll knock the lower strut mount bolt and sway bar bolt loose and re-tightened with it under its own weight on the ramps.
I torqued everything to spec when it was on jack stands, maybe something is binding?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And then this happened...was getting a new rattle on the pass side.
How the hell am I supposed to remove the strut when the spring is not contained?
I'm about to throw all this shit in the trash and put the stock setup back on...

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got everything apart, again. I was able to get enough room to fit the compressors onto the broken strut spring after getting the upper control arm out of the way.
The strut was replaced by Summit under warranty as it was deemed a manufacturer defect. New strut has arrived, waiting on springs.
Hoping to have it all together for good by Saturday evening, pending the springs arriving tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Premium Member
20,815 Posts
Got everything apart, again. I was able to get enough room to fit the compressors onto the broken strut spring after getting the upper control arm out of the way.
The strut was replaced by Summit under warranty as it was deemed a manufacturer defect. New strut has arrived, waiting on springs.
Hoping to have it all together for good by Saturday evening, pending the springs arriving tomorrow.
I know it was a hassle, but at least they stood behind their product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts