·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Drag Radial of course but look at say 1500 miles per tire. and don't get caught in the rain.
Hi Kilo, i don't understand 1500 miles per tire ? I just talked to MIckey Thompson tech, and he mentioned that the drag radial if driven normal and only few burnouts, and couple times at the track, peeps were getting 10,000 miles on them.

Yes i understand the weather issue.:smileup:

the other question i had, and its only referring to the street... Would i have to heat them up as the drivers at the track do, to get better traction on the street ? Doesn't that just lose more tread by doing that ?

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Hi Kilo, i don't understand 1500 miles per tire ? I just talked to MIckey Thompson tech, and he mentioned that the drag radial if driven normal and only few burnouts, and couple times at the track, peeps were getting 10,000 miles on them.

Yes i understand the weather issue.:smileup:

the other question i had, and its only referring to the street... Would i have to heat them up as the drivers at the track do, to get better traction on the street ? Doesn't that just lose more tread by doing that ?
Run them hard you wont see 10k not even close dont know what kind of chickens they got their info from but I would bet they only drive to shows and home with very little playing , you do any burnouts you would be surprised on the amount of rubber you take off my Radial T/A Comp2's only lasted 8k one good burnout will take care of a set of them.
and yes they need to be heated well to work.
Yes you might get more as I dont know how hard you drive Most people I know use them on say Weekend and track and run other tires through the week, Most I have seen is 5-6 k and that was alot of highway miles to track.
Also Drag radials are just that Drag dont expect them to handle curves well the sidewalls are made to flex more.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i just bought a pair of Mickey Thompson 3727R - Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II Tires , 305/35/20 .

·
Registered
144 Posts
I run the 275/40-20 Nitto NT05 on the street for my Friday night, light to lights...............its basically a slick with tread lines (picture in my album)

They have no treadwear warranty..........zero.........they are about $550 a pair mounted properly and balanced

I have spoken to a few people who made it 5,000 miles (chargers, challengers, mustangs), I would say that would be babying the tires. I can see them gone in a couple thousand with some regular heated launches

They are very soft on the sidewall, forget cornering,
they are not to be driven in the rain per manufacturer (mine never moves in rain)

But they are wonderful from light to light!!!! They hook!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys .. What do you guys think about my front tires ? i have 20,000 miles on them, they are at 5/32 tread wear, i still don't see the full head of a penny or george washington lol . THey are goodyear F1 eagle factory 245/45/20 .

The question i have is, would it by any chance effect my launch or have any acceleration issues if i left them on and not replaced them ? I don't care about cornering, etc. Just straight road. I was thinking if i should buy fronts, i will only if it will effect my take off and acceleration.

thanks

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Well i just bought a pair of Mickey Thompson 3727R - Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II Tires , 305/35/20 .
:smileup: hope you ordered 2 pairs, like Mrchen stated the Nittos are getting 5k and the MT's are softer you will go through them faster. What wheels will you be mounting them on ? DR's require the right tire width.
Fronts do what you like.

·
13,007 Posts
I have to agree with the above, there aren't any silver bullets for good traction and good tire wear, personally I wouldn't want to use Drag Radials on the street.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:smileup: hope you ordered 2 pairs, like Mrchen stated the Nittos are getting 5k and the MT's are softer you will go through them faster. What wheels will you be mounting them on ? DR's require the right tire width.
Fronts do what you like.
just 1 pair, and if i can get 5k out of them, that will be good because this spring mickey thompson is coming out with 305/35/20 strictly for the street. :smileup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I dont know how important this is to you, but I wanted to give you some background on Micky Thompson Street Comps.

1. Mickey was bought out by Cooper, which was bought out by Avon a tire company from India.
2. Most Tires are manufactured in China.
3. The Street comp and Cooper RS3 are the same tire. If you want some inside see my review a few post back.

This is what I found after I was told that Coopers are manufactured in the USA. Well that isnt necessarily true.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am probably going to use these tires on the weekend only since tread will get worn out quick.

Questions i have ...

1. After i mount these 20x10 wheels, and these tires 305/35/20 on my car, when i want to put back my factory wheels 20x8 with factory tires 245/45/20, is there any adjustments i need to make like TPMS sensor, wheel alignment, or tire balancing ? Can i just go back and forth ?

2. If i leave my front tires on which are factory 245/45/20, and they have seen 20k miles, almost worn out but not yet ... they are at 5/32 using the tire tread gauge
Will that effect my straight away times ? Will it effect acceleration driving straight ?

·
Registered
356 Posts
i am probably going to use these tires on the weekend only since tread will get worn out quick.

Questions i have ...

1. After i mount these 20x10 wheels, and these tires 305/35/20 on my car, when i want to put back my factory wheels 20x8 with factory tires 245/45/20, is there any adjustments i need to make like TPMS sensor, wheel alignment, or tire balancing ? Can i just go back and forth ? No problems in switching back and forth. TPMS should reset after 30 sec of driving.
2. If i leave my front tires on which are factory 245/45/20, and they have seen 20k miles, almost worn out but not yet ... they are at 5/32 using the tire tread gauge
Will that effect my straight away times ? Will it effect acceleration driving straight ?
It shouldn't affect your straight line driving. Turning and handling will be affected by mismatched tires and the nature of the rear tires you just purchased as mentioned by others on this post.

All the best, make sure to torque your lugs each time.
110ft lbs at minimum.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Questions i have ...

1. After i mount these 20x10 wheels, and these tires 305/35/20 on my car, when i want to put back my factory wheels 20x8 with factory tires 245/45/20, is there any adjustments i need to make like TPMS sensor, wheel alignment, or tire balancing ? Can i just go back and forth ?
1. No problems in switching back and forth. TPMS should reset after 30 sec of driving.

2. It shouldn't affect your straight line driving. Turning and handling will be affected by mismatched tires and the nature of the rear tires you just purchased as mentioned by others on this post.

110ft lbs at minimum.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1. No problems in switching back and forth. TPMS should reset after 30 sec of driving.

2. It shouldn't affect your straight line driving. Turning and handling will be affected by mismatched tires and the nature of the rear tires you just purchased as mentioned by others on this post.

110ft lbs at minimum.
1. TIre shop mentioned since i will be switching back and forth, i should just get a new sensor in the new tires which would cost me 100 bucks for 2 tires. Do sensors come in all new tires, and your saying that it will configure by itself ?

2. Does the torque 110ft LBS come from the car or wheels or tires ? I got new tires, and new wheels, will it need a different torque from the factory 110 ft lbs factory wheels ?

·
801 RWHP
8,600 Posts
2. Does the torque 110ft LBS come from the car or wheels or tires ? I got new tires, and new wheels, will it need a different torque from the factory 110 ft lbs factory wheels ?
Wheels and tires do not matter for this. Torque rating is for the bolts (studs) and lug nuts alone. Variables go into it but two of them are bolt size and thread count. Someone smack me if im too far off on this as I claim to be no expert on this. Just my two cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.