Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve noticed a whining noise and I can’t particularly tell if it’s coming from engine bay or under the car but it only happens when I’m on the interstate or going 70+ and step on it as soon as the Rpms shoot up above 3,000 Rpms I get a high pitch whine that only gets louder as the rpms increase any knowledge about this?

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
3,134 Posts
Some Rear Ends have a bit of a Whining Sound sometimes the Rear End is low of Lube so id Jack it up and check that.
Also when your trying to sort things out please let us know the Year of your Challenger and Model and perhaps the Miles on the vehicle as well,
this help's us give you some links in the Forums that cover the issues you are experiencing. Also we can tell if its a common issue or not as well based on such.
Hope the Lube just needs topping off.

Note also be sure you look up the Gear Lube for the year and model of your car so you get the right one some years fluids, oils and lubes change based on
design and production years.

Also if its still under warranty take it to the Dealer and let them sort it out other wise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some Rear Ends have a bit of a Whining Sound sometimes the Rear End is low of Lube so id Jack it up and check that.
Also when your trying to sort things out please let us know the Year of your Challenger and Model and perhaps the Miles on the vehicle as well,
this help's us give you some links in the Forums that cover the issues you are experiencing. Also we can tell if its a common issue or not as well based on such.

Note also be sure you look up the Gear Lube for the year and model of your car so you get the right one some years fluids, oils and lubes change based on

Also if its still under warranty take it to the Dealer and let them sort it out other wise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry I did mean to specify it’s a 2016 rt plus with only 42k so the vehicle is still somewhat new. But I will check out the lube in the rear. The cars not under warranty anymore I bought it about 6 months ago and it ran out of the warranty a few months after. I took it to them 2 times to check out the trans and diff because my shifting has always felt clunky and it’s very noisy sometimes since I’ve bought the car but each time they told me nothing was wrong with it so I’m very worried about one of these labor parts

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
+1 on everything posted here, but, i found the source of the whining in my car to be that of my ex mother in law from the back seat. but, once i placed her in the trunk, the whine went away. hahahahahahahahahaaha, okay, i definitely need decaf

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,697 Posts
So I’ve noticed a whining noise and I can’t particularly tell if it’s coming from engine bay or under the car but it only happens when I’m on the interstate or going 70+ and step on it as soon as the Rpms shoot up above 3,000 Rpms I get a high pitch whine that only gets louder as the rpms increase any knowledge about this?
Could be diff noise. IMHO probably not though. Noisy diffs generally get noisy way before 42K miles have passed by.

If the noise is tied to vehicle speed and not engine speed then it is likely something from the drive train. A diff has to be considered regardless of how many miles the noise waited to put in an appearance.

A wheel bearing is a possibly.

Or if the drive shaft has some (support) bearing that also needs to be considered.

My 2018 Hellcat made a lot of noise and at speed -- above 75mph -- and long story short turned out to be due to rear tire noise. New rear tires at 13.5K miles due a puncture of one rear tire had the noise gone. Quite a remarkable difference.

With another car some years back on a long road trip the car developed what I would have bet the rent money on was a wheel bearing or diff noise (front diff in this case the car was AWD). Thank goodness I didn't bet. Turned out the noise was the front tires. Earlier in the road trip I had pulled too far into a parking space and bumped -- pretty lightly I thought at the time -- the front tires against a low sidewalk curb. Turned out this was enough to upset the toe in and that accounted for the noise. A proper alignment followed by a few hundred miles of driving to get the tires adapted to the new and correct alignment settings and the noise was gone.

Check the front and rear tires for any signs of abnormal wear. But I have to note that in the case of my Hellcat rear tire wear was good, even, with no signs of any alignment issues. The all season (PIrelli) tires just got noisy with normal wear.

I'd speak to a tech about the noise maybe arrange to demo the noise and listen to what he has to say.

The car is used and you don't know what the previous owner did to the car.

If you want to throw some money at the noise, have it in for a diff fluid change. Use the factory fluid. This change ensures the right fluid is in the diff and the tech will add any additive that might be called for. And the level will be correct.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Lp45000,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Dodge dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,697 Posts
If you can you need to determine if the noise is engine RPM related or vehicle speed related. I've covered if it is vehicle speed related.

If the noise is tied to engine RPMs then you need to consider -- most common -- something with the accessory drive system.

In one case when I was hearing a low rumble sound at cold engine idle I removed the serpentine belt and started the engine and ran it just long enough to determine the noise was not present with the accessory drive system not turning.

Long story short knowing the accessory drive was the source of the noise I found the water pump had some bearing play and arranged to get the car in and have the water pump replaced, along with the T-stat. Might mention the water pump lasted 172K miles. It became noisy because the bearings wore out.

With a new water pump no more noise.

With another car two times -- separated by years and thousands of miles -- an accessory drive idler roller bearing went bad. First time I heard a "dry" bearing sound at hot idle. Second time a faint/intermittent chirp. But I let the tech make the final diagnosis and in both cases it proved to be an idler roller bearing.

If the noise is present only when the engine is up to temperature running the engine sans the accessory drive belt is not really something you want to do. You'll have to with a helper behind the wheel working the gas pedal vary engine RPMs while you carefully probe with a mechanic's stethoscope in an effort to pinpoint the source of the noise.

If the noise is coming from the accessory drive system -- again this is most often the case with noises tied engine speed -- then you or someone will have to get his hands dirty to replace the noisy accessory drive or noisy idler (or tensioner) roller bearing. And ideally replace the belt, too.

If the noise is coming from inside the engine that I think will require you put the car in the hands of a professional tech.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Depending on driving conditions the differential fluid should be changed at 4 years or 48,000 miles anyway so it's not like you'd be wasting your money unless it actually was the differential itself that was pooched. This is with an automatic so it's not an LSD? From what I've read it can be an issue with the limited slip differentials at high speed, hopefully it's a cheap , quick fix in any event.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Lp45000,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Dodge dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Yea that’s asking for trouble... I’d gladly send you my info and accounts starting back with first year of the “new Dodge Dart 1.4L turbo” then to my 14 charger rt awd then I do admit my 16 scat pack shaker M6 best car I’ve owned traded with 86k and no issues at all! For my 16 Challenger Hellcat m6 junk from the day I pulled off lot with hidden engine codes that resurfaced before I even made it home only to get charged immediately by the Dodge dealer in my state for $350 for $70 diagnostic bc dealer I purchased had apparently replaced the rear 02 sensors with non OEM... bing instantly voided my warranty causing the diagnostic fee followed by the $275 for 02 sensors and a mark of “client refusal” on the report for choosing to change them myself rather than to pay them $700 to change 2 7/8 plugs essentially. I’m you still reading and here to help we can always start with my rear differential replacement I had to pay for despite 2 previous dealer appointments months prior to my warranty expiration to only still currently have issues with No help from srt support they just made it worse with the relationship I had with the garage where wet already had to cover to an “agreement” for the replacement due to No replies and communication with my case manager at srt and the garage resulting in unauthorized repairs and ultimately incomplete service done on my car. That I paid for, and still paying for, and was recently told by garage they won’t look at it until I replace the tires? Now another $800 to start back at square one which is the 3rd time btw bc as service manager told me, he wasn’t working there when I was there last having them check and do work on my car? In return, does that mean something to me as well? You have my records showing customer concern/complaint the service repair suggestions/actions? Nope get new tires, keep driving how it is and why my rear “side“ seals were leaking in my rear differential has no correlation to uneven or inconsistent tire wear especially when they didn’t not change the axles just the rear differential and nobody knows if it was aligned after just bring it in for $130 alignment fee bc they can’t even tell me if one was performed granted you should not really need alignment when changing the rear diff on these but that also does the level of customer service given at a dealership for a car as expensive as these are to simply maintain and are trusted support from Dodge and by Dodge is a joke and has the reputation to show for it along with using your history against any future repairs... I can be your trusted customer stating this from being a owner of all Brand New Dodge vehicles including my wife’s For the past 10 years
2012 Dart- bad
2013 avenger- great car
2014 charger rt awd- bad
2016 Dodge Challenger scat pack- great
Used 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat- 21k mi when purchased Darcars near Washington DC- bad dealership bad car followed by continues by dealership in pa... I’m not unruly or unprofessional With associates and always try to build a responsible first but I don’t even bother anymore to call or expect any assistance..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello @Jcox724!

Our team regrets to hear about your prior experiences. Though we are always here to be of assistance, ultimately it is up to you. Our team is willing to help and eager to listen! Send us a private message for us to review this matter further.

Hannah
Dodge Cares

1 - 14 of 14 Posts