Why Aren't Americans Buying Muscle Cars?

Discussion in 'Industry News and Dodge Press Releases.' started by ljb2148, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Danno26h

Danno26h New Member Military

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    To me, I guess it's just where you grow up, at least for my generation (class of '02). Growing up in good 'ole Fremont NE, there was an abundance of 90's Firebirds (my favorite was the trans am WS6), Camaros, Mustangs, fox bodies, some corvettes, and the rare Dodge Viper. There were also some old school muscle cars like the Chevelle SS. We had some tuners as well, but they were completely outnumbered. The only Porsche I saw was parked at the hospital. Now, when I lived in NW Florida, there were still a lot of muscle cars (porsches and BMWs were mainly driven by officers). When you ventured toward Destin, the environment shifted towards the snobbish and you saw a lot more German marquees. Northern California was much the same, which was the complete opposite from Southern California. In Arizona I still see a lot of muscle cars, but I don't venture out to Phoenix much and I have yet to visit Scottsdale. Though even trying to classify it geographically, you'll still find individuals that break the norm. My wife, for instance, was raised in Southern California (Orange County) and her dream car was the Challenger R/T. Besides all of that, I've noticed a change in the younger troops, specifically those that come from metropolitan areas. They show up at their first base fresh out of basic and tech school with no driver's license. That blew my mind. At first it was rare, but within the last couple of years it has become more common. They just don't care and have no passion to drive. When I turned 16, getting my license was paramount to my freedom and was a coming of age thing. I don't think I knew one person when I was in High School that didn't have their license, unless of course it was suspended from doing something stupid. Things just aren't the same anymore, I feel like I'm too young to be saying that, but there it is.

2. BeastieOwner

BeastieOwner Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger SRT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
  3. wvhemis

wvhemis Well-Known Member Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I think many of the young folks are more into their "life's experiences" they are always going somewhere that leaves no money in their budget for a car. I am glad I grew up when I did.

4. jklotz10

jklotz10 Well-Known Member Member Relations MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Must agree. I know of several in their late 20's / early 30's that have no desire to even own a car or house. They prefer to live in downtown areas and use ride share services. Travel abroad is high on their list. They come and go through here (where I work) like a passing rain storm. They stick around for a couple years, get barely fluent at what we do, and gone.

Hajo likes this.
  5. Lukasz Langa

Lukasz Langa New Member Site Supporter Level 3

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger GT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SXT Plus
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I come from Poland. Growing up in the 80ties my family had a small Fiat 126p (smaller than the Fiat 500). It was RWD but before you get too excited, the engine was a 24HP 0.65L V2. Yes, really. Years later we upgraded to Daewoo Tico, which was much more modern yet not much more powerful (0.8L 3-cyl, 41HP).

Of course, not everybody there had such shitty cars but most of us did. At the time, not many people in Poland have ever seen a Mustang, let alone a Challenger in real life. Those were pretty much movie props for us, fictional machines seen in movies, no more tanglible than the Millennium Falcon.

The situation changed dramatically and now it's a proper modern European country. Yet, because of significantly higher petrol prices, emission limits, and insurance costs, people still prefer small displacement engines. And smaller cars, which are easier to maneuver and park.

For me, getting a Challenger (and it's still "just" a 305HP V6!) was the most unreasonable, crazy, reckless thing I have ever done :)

wvhemis, MarkSRT392, ScatSRT and 6 others like this.
  6. TheOldGuy

TheOldGuy Will Fabricate Anything For Space Shuttle Ride Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Right Here, Right in the Beautiful State of Maine
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger 2016
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Ivory Tri-Coat Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I'll throw in my opinion.... It might have some weight having a drivers license for 45 Years!

Muscle cars are like Harley's.

Gotta get that Harley..... I've been wanting one all my life. He/She gets one.

It's not what they expected. Many are first time riders. One or two close calls and the bike is up for sale.

Muscle cars..... Saw them when I was a teenager. Always wanted one. I got one now that the kids are grown up and gone. Wow.... this thing is cool, fast, everyone looks at it, wants to ride in it, drive it, steal it!

Wow.... these insurance rates suck! Damn.... this thing sucks in bad weather. It goes to the dealer and gets traded for another SUV.

Gozillions of Harley's and Musclecars for sale 1.... 2.... and 3 years old.

Those of us that came up through the ranks on dirt bikes and moved to street bikes and learned how to ride like all other drivers are blind..... SURVIVE.

Those of us that grew up as motorheads and love nothing else will keep our musclecars till the day we die.

-John

wvhemis, ScatSRT, friendoffur and 7 others like this.
  7. Wingnutt

Wingnutt Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    '12 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SXT Plus
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    [QUOTE="TheOldGuy, post: 1274441, member:
    Muscle cars are like Harley's.

Gotta get that Harley..... I've been wanting one all my life. He/She gets one.

It's not what they expected. Many are first time riders. One or two close calls and the bike is up for sale.

Muscle cars..... Saw them when I was a teenager. Always wanted one. I got one now that the kids are grown up and gone. Wow.... this thing is cool, fast, everyone looks at it, wants to ride in it, drive it, steal it!

Wow.... these insurance rates suck! Damn.... this thing sucks in bad weather. It goes to the dealer and gets traded for another SUV.

Gozillions of Harley's and Musclecars for sale 1.... 2.... and 3 years old.

Those of us that came up through the ranks on dirt bikes and moved to street bikes and learned how to ride like all other drivers are blind..... SURVIVE.

Those of us that grew up as motorheads and love nothing else will keep our musclecars till the day we die.

-John[/QUOTE]

Oldguy,

You're spot on. For somebody who has no experience with niche vehicles then to jump into one head first, only disappointment awaits. I know several younger guys who jumped from commuter cars into Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs and most all of them say the same things: the cars are too big, they are too square, the hoods are too big, I can't see out of them and the side mirrors are useless. But damn they go!

All of the above is true...especially the Challenger. In today's world of micro sized cars, it really is a huge, square, heavy boxy car. However when I grew up they were listed as a personal sized car. As far as the limited view out of the side mirrors and the back of the car, well that's what happens when your Challenger has those sexy "hips" that your little commuter cars doesn't have (OK so do the other two). :p Learn to properly adjust those side mirrors and develop your situational awareness about what's going on around you on the road!

My wife tried to drive my SXT+ a couple of times and said the same thing..."I can't see out of the back of this damn thing!". She grew up driving by looking over her shoulder when changing lanes and never learned how to properly use the side mirrors. :rolleyes: She hates riding with me on 95 because as anybody who drives that 8 lanes of insanity knows, you have to be pretty aggressive driving or you you will have somebody on your arse blowing their horn and flipping you off; or you will be all over somebody riding in the far left lane doing 5 mph under the speed limit with a severe case of rectal-cranium inversion. While I'm used to driving on 95 (45 miles 2x a day) and am comfortable switching lanes (hey I've had my SXT for 5 years now) and dodging idiots she's hunkered down in the passenger seat with her eyes closed when the traffic starts getting a mite heavy.:D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    ScatSRT, B5bluetoyou and TheOldGuy like this.
  8. B5bluetoyou

B5bluetoyou Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Americans are buying muscle cars. If they aren't then I don't know why they're still being made in mass quantities.

427Carl likes this.
  9. nunya

nunya Jeff MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    It ain't cause I'm not doing my part!
    20170611_171959.jpg 20170423_085733.jpg

10. Black 6050

Black 6050 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2008 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I’m not sure as to why the question is even being asked……muscle cars are selling, if they weren’t you wouldn’t be seeing the manufacturers building SRTs, Hellcats, Demons, LS-6s, Shelby Mustangs, etc. etc. Car makers make what sells, and performance is selling. Having said that, there are a lot of those in the younger generation that are not “into” cars the same way those of my Generation were. Back in my day the car was a “rite of passage” that most all of us looked forward to. Today, “kids” have many things that divide their attention and the car doesn’t hold the same value to a lot of them. Plus, most young ones want everything “NOW” and wouldn’t even think about “building” a hot rod. That would take too long, better to just buy a car that’s turn-key and go. Fortunately, there are still those of the younger generation that are into the older muscle cars as well as and the newer muscle found on today’s showroom. So Hot Roding has not died, it has just evolved a bit. *Just my two cents.....

MarkSRT392, vin57, DriveBfive and 5 others like this.
  11. zic0928

zic0928 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Apologize for the much later reply (came across this thread by casually browsing the site), but don't think that. I just turned 20 years old, and my brother is 18. Love Dodge over everything else. I've got a Redline 392 Shaker and my little brother has a Yellow Jacket Daytona 392. Trust me, although it may seem like it's only the older generations who still like the muscle cars, there's a bunch of us "millenials" who are with you. I've got two buddies also whipping B5 Blue RT Challengers & Chargers (respectively). No greater feeling than when we all get together to meet up and stuff. People turn their heads so hard I'm afraid they are injuring their necks LOL. Moral of the story... Mopar or no Car (in my opinion, Ford has lost its touch and Chevy isn't the same as it used to be either).

MarkSRT392, Hajo, ScatSRT and 4 others like this.
  12. zic0928

zic0928 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    As a young man myself, I totally 100% agree with you on that. I'm always asked by my friends about how I afford my car. I just tell them I don't spend my money recklessly on stupid things like drugs & alcohol. You see, they're all about "living their life". Funny thing is, so am I. I just choose to live my life a quarter mile at a time, not dependent on the bottle or getting high.

13. 427Carl

427Carl New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger RT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Inferno Red
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Interesting posts. Most muscle car guys who loved 60's and 70's muscle cars are now in their 60and 70's them selves :) I am a baby boomer and we are dying off. I have had over 100 old hobby cars. I have 3 trucks now. I'm loving the new muscle cars ,over the old, smelly ,no option , cars I've owned. At age 68 I'm waiting for my 2018 orange A8 Shaker to arrive IMG_6919.JPG

Attached Files:

14. Doug Paluch

Doug Paluch New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    T/A 392
    Color?:
    Destroyer Gray
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I’m 44, and I grew up loving mopars in the 80’s-90’s. I sold off my prized R/T in ‘06, and I’ve regretted it ever since.
    The only reason I got into a new challenger was that I have an amazing wife. She understands that it will sit in the garage during the winter, and it won’t be a daily driver. It is an extra vehicle in every sense of the word. It is a disposable income vehicle.

MommaBetty likes this.
  15. Hammer Down

Hammer Down 801 RWHP Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Ive said it before, I could win a massive lottery and my house would be different but probably about the same size. But my garage would be much bigger and would be filled with SRTs (mostly Hellcat motors) and maybe a classic or two. I couldn't even fit behind the wheel of most exotics, anyway. Let alone be comfortable in one. Most call for short legs and small feet.

In order to drive many of those cars listed above you need, as already stated, you need to be castrated and need to wear skinny jeans. Men should keep their gems and never wear skinny jeans. Of course, jmo.

16. KeysB5Blue

KeysB5Blue MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016 Administrator Moderator Site Supporter Level 5 MOTY Winner! Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Heelz and Wheelz

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    You're on a roll tonight.....;)

17. Hajo

Hajo Now that was dumb! Site Supporter Level 4 Site Supporter Level 2

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Problem with people who own what are called Super Cars, have no idea how they work. Some rarely drive them. A lot get a glass of wine and go into the garage and slap themselves on the back for owning one while gazing at their Ferrari. Hey it's what they want and they have no idea what or how they run. OK with me. But they miss the most important point of owning one. Driving them. Now correct me if I'm wrong I believe the Hellcat is a super car. It has a zero to 60 time that is better then most these luxury sports cars and can go 200mph. And those of us who own them (majority) know how they work, know how they perform. We also know we aren't the crinkle zone of the automobile and we can actually move the seat, steering wheel etc. to be more comfortable. We have more room and more versatility not to mention comfort. A great many of us owned muscle since the mid 60s. We know how to get the best out of our cars. They on the other hand do not know how to take advantage of what their luxury sports car can do, and do not care to know. IF they get 30K on their car (most won't, at that mileage a major service is required that takes a week to two weeks and costs about 10K) and the value of their prestige car drops in value a great deal for driving it. I drive mine about 5 to 6 months a year. They usually drive their prestige cars 5 or 6 times a year to impress someone only.

Me.........I see no need to impress anyone but me. Driving muscle since the mid 60s' gave me an appreciation of what the joy of driving is about. Gee.......I actually know what a clutch is, throwout bearing, pressure plate. To them a pressure plate is a porcelain plate they throw into the dishwasher to be cleaned with high pressure water.

It's their money they can spend it as they wish. But being snobbish about owning one is ridiculous because they have no idea what they own. Pity.

MOPARMOM and nunya like this.
  18. Scatdestroyer

Scatdestroyer New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Destroyer Gray
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I've owned about 12 cars so far but none has ever been a muscle car. I've owned Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and I owned a Nissan and Honda out of high school. Since I ordered my 18 scatpack shaker I've looked at tons of YouTube videos and everyone who drives one seems to be extremely happy. Looking forward to that feeling.

South Jersey Scat likes this.
  19. MyCar

MyCar Member

Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    Auto

Back when I had my '10 R/T the local junior high (graduated from there 30 years prior) was having a car wash. Normally I wouldn't let a bunch of kids touch the car, but WTF, plus I wanted to see their reaction. I pulled up and there in front of me were the aforementioned BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. etc., the kids couldn't wash those cars fast enough to get their hands on mine. The supervisor/teacher actually had to tell them to move on as the line behind me was getting rather long.

nunya and South Jersey Scat like this.
  20. Bee Keeper 16

Bee Keeper 16 Knight of the black asphalt. Site Supporter Level 2 Member Relations MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    You are right. I think we are starting to get some moxie back, slowly.

dcde201057 likes this.