Why Aren't Americans Buying Muscle Cars?

Discussion in 'Industry News and Dodge Press Releases.' started by ljb2148, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Danno26h

Danno26h New Member Military

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    To me, I guess it's just where you grow up, at least for my generation (class of '02). Growing up in good 'ole Fremont NE, there was an abundance of 90's Firebirds (my favorite was the trans am WS6), Camaros, Mustangs, fox bodies, some corvettes, and the rare Dodge Viper. There were also some old school muscle cars like the Chevelle SS. We had some tuners as well, but they were completely outnumbered. The only Porsche I saw was parked at the hospital. Now, when I lived in NW Florida, there were still a lot of muscle cars (porsches and BMWs were mainly driven by officers). When you ventured toward Destin, the environment shifted towards the snobbish and you saw a lot more German marquees. Northern California was much the same, which was the complete opposite from Southern California. In Arizona I still see a lot of muscle cars, but I don't venture out to Phoenix much and I have yet to visit Scottsdale. Though even trying to classify it geographically, you'll still find individuals that break the norm. My wife, for instance, was raised in Southern California (Orange County) and her dream car was the Challenger R/T. Besides all of that, I've noticed a change in the younger troops, specifically those that come from metropolitan areas. They show up at their first base fresh out of basic and tech school with no driver's license. That blew my mind. At first it was rare, but within the last couple of years it has become more common. They just don't care and have no passion to drive. When I turned 16, getting my license was paramount to my freedom and was a coming of age thing. I don't think I knew one person when I was in High School that didn't have their license, unless of course it was suspended from doing something stupid. Things just aren't the same anymore, I feel like I'm too young to be saying that, but there it is.

2. BeastieOwner

BeastieOwner Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger SRT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
  3. wvhemis

wvhemis Well-Known Member Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I think many of the young folks are more into their "life's experiences" they are always going somewhere that leaves no money in their budget for a car. I am glad I grew up when I did.

Hajo and nunya like this.
  4. jklotz10

jklotz10 Well-Known Member Member Relations MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Must agree. I know of several in their late 20's / early 30's that have no desire to even own a car or house. They prefer to live in downtown areas and use ride share services. Travel abroad is high on their list. They come and go through here (where I work) like a passing rain storm. They stick around for a couple years, get barely fluent at what we do, and gone.

Hajo likes this.
  5. Lukasz Langa

Lukasz Langa New Member Site Supporter Level 3

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger GT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SXT Plus
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I come from Poland. Growing up in the 80ties my family had a small Fiat 126p (smaller than the Fiat 500). It was RWD but before you get too excited, the engine was a 24HP 0.65L V2. Yes, really. Years later we upgraded to Daewoo Tico, which was much more modern yet not much more powerful (0.8L 3-cyl, 41HP).

Of course, not everybody there had such shitty cars but most of us did. At the time, not many people in Poland have ever seen a Mustang, let alone a Challenger in real life. Those were pretty much movie props for us, fictional machines seen in movies, no more tanglible than the Millennium Falcon.

The situation changed dramatically and now it's a proper modern European country. Yet, because of significantly higher petrol prices, emission limits, and insurance costs, people still prefer small displacement engines. And smaller cars, which are easier to maneuver and park.

For me, getting a Challenger (and it's still "just" a 305HP V6!) was the most unreasonable, crazy, reckless thing I have ever done :)

jklotz10 and Lyle like this.
  6. TheOldGuy

TheOldGuy Will Fabricate Anything For Space Shuttle Ride Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Right Here, Right in the Beautiful State of Maine
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger 2016
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Ivory Tri-Coat Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I'll throw in my opinion.... It might have some weight having a drivers license for 45 Years!

Muscle cars are like Harley's.

Gotta get that Harley..... I've been wanting one all my life. He/She gets one.

It's not what they expected. Many are first time riders. One or two close calls and the bike is up for sale.

Muscle cars..... Saw them when I was a teenager. Always wanted one. I got one now that the kids are grown up and gone. Wow.... this thing is cool, fast, everyone looks at it, wants to ride in it, drive it, steal it!

Wow.... these insurance rates suck! Damn.... this thing sucks in bad weather. It goes to the dealer and gets traded for another SUV.

Gozillions of Harley's and Musclecars for sale 1.... 2.... and 3 years old.

Those of us that came up through the ranks on dirt bikes and moved to street bikes and learned how to ride like all other drivers are blind..... SURVIVE.

Those of us that grew up as motorheads and love nothing else will keep our musclecars till the day we die.

-John

B5bluetoyou, Hajo and jklotz10 like this.
  7. Wingnutt

Wingnutt Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    '12 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SXT Plus
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    [QUOTE="TheOldGuy, post: 1274441, member:
    Muscle cars are like Harley's.

Gotta get that Harley..... I've been wanting one all my life. He/She gets one.

It's not what they expected. Many are first time riders. One or two close calls and the bike is up for sale.

Muscle cars..... Saw them when I was a teenager. Always wanted one. I got one now that the kids are grown up and gone. Wow.... this thing is cool, fast, everyone looks at it, wants to ride in it, drive it, steal it!

Wow.... these insurance rates suck! Damn.... this thing sucks in bad weather. It goes to the dealer and gets traded for another SUV.

Gozillions of Harley's and Musclecars for sale 1.... 2.... and 3 years old.

Those of us that came up through the ranks on dirt bikes and moved to street bikes and learned how to ride like all other drivers are blind..... SURVIVE.

Those of us that grew up as motorheads and love nothing else will keep our musclecars till the day we die.

-John[/QUOTE]

Oldguy,

You're spot on. For somebody who has no experience with niche vehicles then to jump into one head first, only disappointment awaits. I know several younger guys who jumped from commuter cars into Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs and most all of them say the same things: the cars are too big, they are too square, the hoods are too big, I can't see out of them and the side mirrors are useless. But damn they go!

All of the above is true...especially the Challenger. In today's world of micro sized cars, it really is a huge, square, heavy boxy car. However when I grew up they were listed as a personal sized car. As far as the limited view out of the side mirrors and the back of the car, well that's what happens when your Challenger has those sexy "hips" that your little commuter cars doesn't have (OK so do the other two). :p Learn to properly adjust those side mirrors and develop your situational awareness about what's going on around you on the road!

My wife tried to drive my SXT+ a couple of times and said the same thing..."I can't see out of the back of this damn thing!". She grew up driving by looking over her shoulder when changing lanes and never learned how to properly use the side mirrors. :rolleyes: She hates riding with me on 95 because as anybody who drives that 8 lanes of insanity knows, you have to be pretty aggressive driving or you you will have somebody on your arse blowing their horn and flipping you off; or you will be all over somebody riding in the far left lane doing 5 mph under the speed limit with a severe case of rectal-cranium inversion. While I'm used to driving on 95 (45 miles 2x a day) and am comfortable switching lanes (hey I've had my SXT for 5 years now) and dodging idiots she's hunkered down in the passenger seat with her eyes closed when the traffic starts getting a mite heavy.:D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    B5bluetoyou and TheOldGuy like this.
  8. B5bluetoyou

B5bluetoyou Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Americans are buying muscle cars. If they aren't then I don't know why they're still being made in mass quantities.

9. nunya

nunya Jeff Site Supporter Level 1 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?: