Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a deeper and more aggressive sound to my challenger..

I am confused as to why trucks and other cars have a louder and deeper sound than mine and why I look up the specs on these cars most times they have LESS horsepower than mine. WHY??

What makes trucks and other big vehicles so much louder?

I know what most of you will suggest (an exhaust) but those are a lot of money. I've heard something about "straight piping" but what is that? and how much does it cost..is it really worth it

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,021 Posts
Lots of less expensive alternatives to a cat-back exhaust system. There are many posts on the subject. I've got an automatic, and opted to replace my resonators with BlastinBobs glass packs (just one idea). I'm very satisfied with the sound, and No Drone (very bad with straight pipes on automatics).--:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sound is subjective and what is loud to me, may not be for you. You really need to find examples on cars in your area to determine what it really sounds like doing these mods. The clips on Youtube are not accurate representations. Another thing to consider is usually, you get what you pay for. I have a Corsa Extreme. Yes, it's expensive, but it's one of the best mods I've made to date and well worth the price of admission. IMHO. I've seen many on this and the other forum go cheap and end up doing it again, because after a few months, they decided they didn't like the drone or the loudness they thought they wanted-all the time. IHMO.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,649 Posts
Sound is subjective and what is loud to me, may not be for you. You really need to find examples on cars in your area to determine what it really sounds like doing these mods. The clips on Youtube are not accurate representations. Another thing to consider is usually, you get what you pay for. I have a Corsa Extreme. Yes, it's expensive, but it's one of the best mods I've made to date and well worth the price of admission. IMHO. I've seen many on this and the other forum go cheap and end up doing it again, because after a few months, they decided they didn't like the drone or the loudness they thought they wanted-all the time. IHMO.
Right on the money, try to find some to listen to, not just at idle or revving up,drone comes in around 2000-2500 rpm while driving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my real question is what makes vehicles sound the way they do. For example how come the old 1970s muscle cars sound so much louder than the 21st century ones, when the engines are the same size.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
I guess my real question is what makes vehicles sound the way they do. For example how come the old 1970s muscle cars sound so much louder than the 21st century ones, when the engines are the same size.
Emissions restrictions have a lot to do with how engine sound has changed over the last 45 years. Emissions affect engine sound from air intake through exhaust output. Best example, a 1970's muscle car didn't have a catalytic converter strangling it's exhaust system.

On the plus side: Modern engines have better horsepower to displacement ratios than their counterparts immediately after 1975, when catalytic converters became mandatory. 350 CID engines putting out 200 HP is not only laughable, it should have been criminal.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Our Challengers come equipped with Resonators...which basically tone down the sound as air passes through the exhaust. Just by taking the Resonators out (about $80), your R/T will sound a LOT better.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
absolutely the environmental issues have made a huge difference in how the factory can send these cars out of the door!

find a sound that you like and get an aftermarket exhaust that matches that sound. Youtube is a great place to start!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Vehicle manufacturers have to meet federal noise regulations. Most loud vehicles that you hear have an aftermarket exhaust system installed, or at least a loud muffler welded in place of the stock one.

Modern engine technology also impacts the way that the engine sounds. I know that GM changed the firing order from the traditional 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 to 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 with the introduction of the LS series engines in 1996. Not sure if Any other of the big 3 have done this, but GM claimed that it allowed for smoother running. It also changed the exhaust sound.

Also, most dual exhaust systems back in the 60s and 70s did not use any type of crossover (x or h pipe). That will also change the exhaust note. The current Challengers have a factory crossover system.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I have the auto and when I got it you couldn't hardly hear it running so I put the borla on mine and I think it sounds great now. Im not telling you to go and buy a borla but just start checking them out and see what you like. there is a lot of different kinds out there. so good luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
The biggest difference between modern v8s and classic v8s is the bore and stroke of the pistons, modern cars use a much different ratio than classic cars mostly for emissions, but also because manufacturers are finding better ways to make more power. Hence the reason a 6.1L Hemi about 375 cubic inches makes the same horsepower as a 426 Hemi from 1970. Cam specs also make a big difference, Check out some 274 cams on SRTs and you will get the idea! If you want decibles, get exhaust and headers, if you want lope. . . cams and bigger bores.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The dreaded drone

So, I have flowmaster American thunder catbacks and kooks headers and I get the drone about 2200-2500rpm. I recently got the diablosport intune i1000 because I was told it would help with it and also allow me to pass emissions inspections. I plugged it in and ran the tune and it helped a little. I have to take my car in Monday for the timing chain recall then after that, I'm gonna try to find someone to write me some custom tunes. I was told that would help. I read a lot about deleting the resonators so is that what I need to do? Will that allow my car to pass emissions?
Somebody help this girl out!

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
I want a deeper and more aggressive sound to my challenger..

I am confused as to why trucks and other cars have a louder and deeper sound than mine and why I look up the specs on these cars most times they have LESS horsepower than mine. WHY??

What makes trucks and other big vehicles so much louder?

I know what most of you will suggest (an exhaust) but those are a lot of money. I've heard something about "straight piping" but what is that? and how much does it cost..is it really worth it
I think I know what you are asking. I, too, notice the same thing. I think part of it is that you hear the trucks from the outside, whereas you are "cushioned" in the interior of your Challenger. Maybe someone can chime in about this. Maybe trucks gear ratios are different and that makes them louder and deeper?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do most owners do this?

Is there an improvement in MPG if the resonators are removed from an OEM system?

OTOH, are there any consequences to removing the resonators that might be a deterrent?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Our Challengers come equipped with Resonators...which basically tone down the sound as air passes through the exhaust. Just by taking the Resonators out (about $80), your R/T will sound a LOT better.
Susie he has an auto. Maybe best bet to go with what you did? :smileup:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Modern Cats, and modern v-8 motors will not get that deep, loppy sound, like the classic v-8s from the late 60s to early 70s. To get that sound out of these modern hemis you will need to customize, and tune the motor.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Do most owners do this?

Is there an improvement in MPG if the resonators are removed from an OEM system?

OTOH, are there any consequences to removing the resonators that might be a deterrent?

A deterrent? As far as warranty is concerned, no problems. I had my resonators deleted at the dealership and had BB straight pipes installed when I got my car. As for MPG cant say, as I drove my car off the lot with them on. I do bet though, they improve MPG somewhat, as the engine breaths a bit better with them off.
For 6 speed, which I have it is great. Drone comes around 2000 RPM, I just shift into the next gear. For the Auto drone can be an issue with the MDS, and not being able to shift. A few with auto here, I heard deleted the mufflers and left the resonators. Which helped for drone.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
In the case of a Challenger R/T with the Multi-Displacement System (MDS) that is found on Challengers with the 5.7/auto combination, Dodge wanted to ensure that drone was fully suppressed through a highly muffled exhaust system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
check out Stainlessworks.com nice exhaust ,no droning and not as pricey as Borla or Corsa,,,they have before and after videos to listen to tjat eill help

·
Registered
415 Posts
You also have to take into consideration that the exhaust on a truck is higher closer to your ear level which will make it appear louder.

But the biggest part that kills the loudness is the cats. I have heard a 5.7 that just had the cats on there and it still wasnt as loud as my pick-up was that was catless and straight piped from the headers back.

I am currently running Turbo style mufflers on my Challenger. These sounded great and were pretty loud on the old school Muscle Cars prior to Cats. Mine are really docile at speed or open throttle with very little to no drone but sound pretty mean at idle and low rpms. They are too quiet for me so I will be changing them to the chambered style.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts