Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Windshield crack appears!

5K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  My392Mopar 
#1 ·
I was washing nmy car and noticed a crack in the glass. I cant feel it inside or out.
No impact marks.
It looks to be in the middle of the glass.
Near the middle on the left side about 4 inches in from the edge.
The car is still under warranty so I took it to the dealer.
They photographed it and submitted it to Chrysler.
Now Im waiting to see what they do

#2 ·
Wow first I heard of that with the Challenger.Defective windshield.

#3 ·
Dealer will mopst likely not pay/replace the winshield. I had mine do the same thing with about 1500 miles on it. The insurance company replaced it for, I think $50, and not counted as a claim. If the dealer says no or hesitates, just call your insurance company and they'll okay the replacement.

#6 ·
I was having a good day until I saw this:

How can a crack just appear on my windshield! I will have to replace it, and I am not looking forward to that! My car hasn't been out of the garage since last Saturday when I washed, clay-barred it, and waxed it! This crack just appeared today!

Attachments

#11 ·
I was having a good day until I saw this:

How can a crack just appear on my windshield! I will have to replace it, and I am not looking forward to that! My car hasn't been out of the garage since last Saturday when I washed, clay-barred it, and waxed it! This crack just appeared today!
Wow that is strange 2nd one on here in a couple of days. It is not a traumatic deal to replace it, your car will be fine.

#12 ·
I took a short training seminar on glass repair only a month ago. It is surprising what a good glass repair guy can fix. I've watched training videos repairing 2 foot long cracks in the windshield. They can also fix some pretty nasty spider webs too. Might be worth checking into. The Repair could also be free, if your insurance includes glass care. The instructor also talked about the nature of how and where cracks form. It is possible to get a crack caused by an object that leaves little to no mark on the glass. It is unusual, but it does happen. The edges of the glass where it is attached with urethane are under stress from some tension that rises as the urethane cures. Chips and cracks near the edge will grow faster due to this stress. You can slow down some chips if you keep it dry, and apply some good clear tape over the damage till you have it repaired. Also avoid using vents blowing hot or cold air on the glass. That can also help cracks grow faster.

Good luck!

#13 ·
Hope they can figure it out and don't take their time jibber jabbering about it, get that thing fixed soon! :smileup:

That suuuucks, Betty! I'm wondering if it has to do with your recent cold snap as well! :4-dontknow: Hope you can get it fixed soon as well!

#14 ·
I took a short training seminar on glass repair only a month ago. It is surprising what a good glass repair guy can fix. I've watched training videos repairing 2 foot long cracks in the windshield. They can also fix some pretty nasty spider webs too. Might be worth checking into. The Repair could also be free, if your insurance includes glass care. The instructor also talked about the nature of how and where cracks form. It is possible to get a crack caused by an object that leaves little to no mark on the glass. It is unusual, but it does happen. The edges of the glass where it is attached with urethane are under stress from some tension that rises as the urethane cures. Chips and cracks near the edge will grow faster due to this stress. You can slow down some chips if you keep it dry, and apply some good clear tape over the damage till you have it repaired. Also avoid using vents blowing hot or cold air on the glass. That can also help cracks grow faster.

Good luck!
One of the best posts that I have read in a long time!! Thanks for all this information!

#15 ·
Reading on the Dart forum I guess dealer told owner it is a stress crack?... So I guess they are saying bad design? or body flex? Well if that is true every Dart mfg is going to have this if stress from design or flex. Betty, I see your car is a "13 " (OP did not say his year) So are all the Darts, Hmmm.. bad glass from vendor I am guessing or should I say hoping.

#16 ·
This is a big issue with the new Darts, windshields de-laminating, dealer should fix under warranty, Hope this is not going to be another problem from the factory
I wonder where Dodge is getting there glass now? A local guy bought a 100TH Anniversary R/T and he made them replace the windshield because it had a long de-lamination on the passenger side.

#18 ·
Reading on the Dart forum I guess dealer told owner it is a stress crack?... So I guess they are saying bad design? or body flex? Well if that is true every Dart mfg is going to have this if stress from design or flex. Betty, I see your car is a "13 " (OP did not say his year) So are all the Darts, Hmmm.. bad glass from vendor I am guessing or should I say hoping.
I don't know that it is bad glass. I see a VERY tiny rock chip on the side of the glass in the black lining. It is possible to get a crack from this. I was unfortunate in this respect, but I don't really think it was from bad glass. I just got off the phone with Safelite. I am very impressed with their service. They are going to install a new windshield on Tuesday in Rapid City. It takes 90 minutes!! I asked a lot of questions, and the one that impressed me the most was that they have done 71 Challenger windshields in the Rapid City location! They use robotics so they don't touch the car. I got a discount from American Family with the final cost being $340.00. When the car is done, I will post pictures. Wish me luck!!

#19 ·
I don't know that it is bad glass. I see a VERY tiny rock chip on the side of the glass in the black lining. It is possible to get a crack from this. I was unfortunate in this respect, but I don't really think it was from bad glass. I just got off the phone with Safelite. I am very impressed with their service. They are going to install a new windshield on Tuesday in Rapid City. It takes 90 minutes!! I asked a lot of questions, and the one that impressed me the most was that they have done 71 Challenger windshields in the Rapid City location! They use robotics so they don't touch the car. I got a discount from American Family with the final cost being $340.00. When the car is done, I will post pictures. Wish me luck!!
You can get an extended crack from just a chip. It's happened to me before in other cars. Boom.....just appears out of nowhere! Glad you will get your Jazz Blue Baby fixed real soon. SafeLite is very good.

#20 ·
Your insurance covers that. It will be replaced for free. Call Safelite. They can swap it out in about 45 min.
Not everyone has insurance like that, it's required in some states and it jacks up rates for everyone, here in Alabama I have to pay the deductible to have glass replaced and it's $1000 so I would have to eat it myself.

#21 ·
Not everyone has insurance like that, it's required in some states and it jacks up rates for everyone, here in Alabama I have to pay the deductible to have glass replaced and it's $1000 so I would have to eat it myself.
In South Dakota we also have the deductible on comprehensive. Mine is $500, so I knew I would be paying for the windshield. That is life. I think we all make our choices when weighing what deductible/premium we want to pay when we buy our car insurance. I did get a discount for having American Family insurance. How much would it cost you to replace your windshield?

#22 ·
I had Safelite do many windshields over the years never been not satisfied. I carry zero deductible on glass as chipped and cracked windshields are a common thing.The worst was the day I picked up my brand new special ordered Ram and on the way to a NASCAR race bang a
stone flew up and cracked the windshield man I was not happy.

#23 ·
Betty, glad to hear everything is working out for you! Also kudos on the investigative work fing that minute rock chip. Yes, even a small chip can cause a linear crack.

#24 ·
Cracked windsheild

I had to have my Windsheild replaced fall of 2013,The Car was parked in the garage overnight. Went out in the Morning and had a crack about 2/3rds of the way up the passenger side.It was horizontal for about 8" long. I was`nt able to feel anything and i couldn`t see any defects at the edge. Cost me $260.00 to replace. Took 90 mins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.