Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 SRT8 382 challenger. When leaving the stop light “ in a spirited fashion “ I can not keep the rear tires stuck to the pavement! I don’t have t launch mode like later cars, and I’m not hammering the gas pedal either. How can I harness this horsepower for use?

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
2,964 Posts
Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person These are about the same as the DWS06 but better Deal and work well All Season and Stick well.
BFGoodrich G-force Comp2 A/S These Stick better then the Good Year Eagle sport's but those do wear nice I just swapped to the GForces for my Rallye Wheels but I am not running a Hemi,

My Friends use them on their Hemi's and love them.
Soft Compound Tires will Stick better but shorter tread life wear out faster, also suck for Cold Roads.

You can also move up to 275/40/20's which will fit but that would be about max without rubbing issues using Stock Wheels.
When you do go up to larger Tires though you will need to get the the PCM to re calibrate to that for proper speed readings.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,602 Posts
Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person These are about the same as the DWS06 but better Deal and work well All Season and Stick well.
BFGoodrich G-force Comp2 A/S These Stick better then the Good Year Eagle sport's but those do wear nice I just swapped to the GForces for my Rallye Wheels but I am not running a Hemi,

My Friends use them on their Hemi's and love them.
Soft Compound Tires will Stick better but shorter tread life wear out faster, also suck for Cold Roads.

You can also move up to 275/40/20's which will fit but that would be about max without rubbing issues using Stock Wheels.
When you do go up to larger Tires though you will need to get the the PCM to re calibrate to that for proper speed readings.
275/40/20 are the same diameter as 245/45/20 no need for recalibration.

Reactions: 6.1SilverFox

·
Registered
277 Posts
OP, IMHO even in the best of circumstances these beasts don't hook much on street tires when going flat out. Nature of the beast. I've got my best 0-60 sprint times only after making effort to really heat the tires up in the summer. In my mind, the ability to "sit and spin" is all part of the magic we're blessed to posses with these wonderful machines.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Just went out and confirmed. Goodyear Eagle sport 245/45R20. treadler 560, traction a, treadler A. The car's traction control is ON!
Tires are your problem, if you want grip you're going to have to pay to get it, and you won't get 30,000 to 50,000 miles from these type tires. You need to use a different rear tire set and shop using the treadwear # as a guide. The 560 # your present tires have is a harder rubber, the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S hook really good and have a treadwear # of 000. They won't last long maybe 10,000 miles but are probably the best grip you are going to get besides Drag Slicks that you cannot drive on the highway.

EDIT: Warning: Dodge factory installed these spin fest tires for good reason from the factory they are like fusible links to protect your drive line. Once you start hooking that power you have instead of spinning you'll put extra pressure on the drive line meaning the driveshaft, the driveshafts center support bearing and the transmission. If you're after constant ground pounding power you may consider going to a one piece driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I've really only got my SP to hook even slightly a few times, the best launches I've done are in second gear with the pressure dropped to 25 pounds. Don't go lower, my friend went to 22 and spun the tires on the rims without marking them so he had to have them rebalanced.

• Wow
Reactions: 6.1SilverFox

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had pretty good luck getting my car to dead hook with the following mods:
Speed Logic front strut tower brace
Speed logic rear tower brace
BMR subframe/chassis braces
Per4mance diff brace

But the biggest difference came from 11" wide wheels with 100 treadwear AAA traction rated pirelli nero 295/35r20 tires (be warned they are $1600 a set and last 10-12k miles)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts