Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Whats the worst MPG I can expect in a Challenger with a Hemi 5.7L? Say I have a led foot, drive 90% city and always with the windows down?

BTW, does the 2010 5.7L hemi have MDS or VVT features that work less in cruising speeds? Is MDS even for real?

Was fuel economy improved from 2007 - 2010 on these engines? Any plans for further improvements in efficiency in 2011?

Thanks.

· Registered
5,075 Posts
Which transmission do you have?

I have the 6spd, and my average tank yields about 19mpg....thats with me doing some cruising and some pedal to the floor action. If you were flooring it everywhere you went, I imagine you could probably get it as low as 10 or 11 mpg. When doing a highway only trip and using 6th gear, I averaged about 25 mpg.

Auto's have MDS, 6spds do not.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Which transmission do you have?
I've not purchased yet. I'm comparing them. But you would think the 5 speed with MDS would do better right? I'm a bit confused about why the six speed option removes MDS.

http://www.dodge.com/hostc/bmo/options.do

19mpg would be awsome! 2010?

I wonder how big of a deal MDS/VVT is on the 5.7L for 2010. According to the sticker the SE V6 is 17/25 and the R/T is 16/25.

Can I really trust them to pretty much be equal?

Pretty much of guys are getting 10mpg on these 2010 engines, then I going to expect that, as I always get the worst possible.

· Registered
643 Posts
I can answer some of your questions. I have had my 2009 R/T for 20 months now, with 17,000 miles. The MDS is an awesome feature for me, as most of those miles have been on trips longer than a thousand miles.

I have reached as high as 28.6 mpg, but since I put the 180 stat, SRT wheels and predator tune, my best is 23.5.
Around town, I get about 12. I am convinced the 180 stat will help the engine longevity, but takes it out of the peak mpg tune.

· Registered
5,075 Posts
On average and for every day driving, if you go with a 5spd manual which includes the MDS, (making the 8cyl a temporary 4cyl) my guess is that you would average 20mpg per tank. Now, like I said if you're just flooring it everywhere (which no one will blame you if you do) that number might drop a little.

Honestly though, I don't think anyone here bought this car with MPG as a major determining factor. I know I didn't.

· Registered
637 Posts
I log my MPG for each tank. The best I have gotten is 25.2 highway. I was doing about 70-72 MPH for the entire tank -all highway.
My average city mileage is 16 with my low around 12 (very spirited driving while testing its limits). MDS was enabled for every tank. On the current tank, I have turned MDS off but haven't re-filled since doing that.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
643 Posts
You have an 2010 R/T with MDS/VVT? Are you basing that 12 on the dash? You think 12 average would be typical for a city driver?

At what point does MDS kick in?
No I have a 2009, but I don't think there is any difference. You said you are lead footed, and so am I in the city. My city driving is horrible, as they are very short trips. If I baby it, I can get 15 to 16 in town, but that is no fun.

The MDS doesn't kick in until you are at highway speeds, with low power demand. The 2010s and later 2009s have a dash indicator, but it isn't really needed, as you can feel it and hear it. I have heard some say it has to be in cruise control, but mine doesn't have to be.

· Registered
86 Posts
I hava a 2010 RT classic with the 5 speed autostic and a Predator. I've experimented a bit: I've kept it in 1-5th using the auto stick (MDS is disengaged)to shift gears and smoke tires pretty much leaving every light for a few days, and dropped to 18-19 MPG. And Ive also left it in Drive (alLowing MDS to engage) And my lowest has been 22.7 MPG. I feel the MDS works well. Supposedly Using cruise helps out more.

· Registered
4,773 Posts
I drive mine hard and have a 93 octane tune and I get 12 around town actually doing the math when refilling.

· <<< Bending Time & Space >>>
14,075 Posts
My worst possible mileage was 13 mpg and that's in the winter time with a lot of city driving.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hava a 2010 RT classic with the 5 speed autostic and a Predator. I've experimented a bit: I've kept it in 1-5th using the auto stick (MDS is disengaged)to shift gears and smoke tires pretty much leaving every light for a few days, and dropped to 18-19 MPG. And Ive also left it in Drive (alLowing MDS to engage) And my lowest has been 22.7 MPG. I feel the MDS works well. Supposedly Using cruise helps out more.
That is really promising and just great news.

· Registered
8,423 Posts
I check now and again and this spring I am still on my snow and rain tires, so been chilling out on the..... anger management portion of driving. Worst I have noticed in normal driving is 16, but on the other end I have seen 25 even around town so who the hell knows.

One thing I have noticed after spending a weekend driving all sorts of other kinds of cars, like a Honda CRV (stick) and a new Mercedes SUV(auto-stick-thingy)... the Challengers clutch gives you a lot of room to play with NOT giving the car gas. Hard to explain, but although heavy, it can be manipulated really precisely, even in real small increments, if you don't got boots on! Sometimes I will get on a nice flat road and be barely touching the gas in a super low gear and I never stutter, just coast along. Nice trans so far @ 14 g's.

· Registered
313 Posts
12 MPG around town, 15 combined. I am told it will improve with time but I am wondering as I got 1000 miles now. I do not notice the MDS kicking in or out, Which makes me wonder if this thing really works on my car. Anyone know where the solinoids are? I know a KB blower will not fit due to them. I see no solinoids on top of the valve covers so perhapse under the intake manifold?

· Registered
1,664 Posts
I've never 'checked' so this is all from the EVIC but lat year I did a fair number of road trips in NE. Mostly flat, two lane highway, that goes through towns... If I went easy and kept it at 65 I can get 27 combined.....

If I'm running around banging gears doing 0-60's etc it will drop way down to the 12's After week of driving around Omaha yielded 19.

I'll be the first to admit that glancing at the EVIC occasionally is not as accurate as calculating at fill time, but I've never bothered..

· Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I track my mileage at each fillup, mainly because if I see a drastic or gradual change to worse then it's a sign something ain't right under the hood or elsewhere.

I typically get 16/17 in city, 24-28 on road trips depending on terrain, weather and speedometer.

Right now I'm doing a comparison on 89 vs 91 octane to see if there's any difference in mileage.

· Registered
40 Posts
I have the 5spd auto and use it as a daily driver (~35 miles round trip). I have a pretty wide open commute it the AM, but hit a lot of stop and go traffic in the afternoon. I also love to give it a little gas when I can (and who doesn't want to feel the power and hear the sound from that Hemi!). With MDS I have been getting 18-19mpg, for the last month I've been tracking mileage using the autostick (MDS off) and have been getting around 17-18mpg with 16mpg being the lowest. Also, on "spirited" Saturday morning drives on the Texas back roads I've had it as low as 12mpg.

· Registered
415 Posts
I've been getting around 12 in town when I'm being a bit of a showoff. So I would expect that is about what you can expect as well given your description.

Getting stuck in traffic really messes your mileage up as well. My last tank averaged under 14 including hwy driving as a result of some epic traffic jams.

· Registered
6 Posts
I only have 2000 miles on my 2010 R/T-c auto and have recorded all fill-ups I notice my actual mileage is always about 1/2 mpg less than what is displayed. and with general city driving i am aprox 15.? but it has been on a upswing as it gets broken in. I started @ 11

1 - 20 of 64 Posts