Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

· Banned
1,598 Posts
Guys,

Whats the worst MPG I can expect in a Challenger with a Hemi 5.7L? Say I have a led foot, drive 90% city and always with the windows down?

BTW, does the 2010 5.7L hemi have MDS or VVT features that work less in cruising speeds? Is MDS even for real?

Was fuel economy improved from 2007 - 2010 on these engines? Any plans for further improvements in efficiency in 2011?

Thanks.
MDS works, its real, and it makes you get better milage. Its programmed to engage the second you arent in the throttle, it kicks in all the time, once the load has decreased and you are nearly up to speed it kicks in. ITs very agressive at saving you gas.

This happens city, highway, and interstate.

Milage all depends on how you drive. When the car is cold and warming up it runs rich so the milage decreases. Personally winter milage I get 13 mpg, short trips, and I dont drive fast, 1500-2500 rpm, only flooring it maybe 5 times per tank. The reason I get 13 is the short trips with stop and go.
Summer its nearly up to 15. Typical city with more driving it gets closer to 19-20.

Now bare in mind my last car was a 3.5L V6 charger which got 15 mpg city, my 2.4L Caliber that is 900 pounds lighter also gets 15 mpg, so my low mpg is due to short trips.

I think one week while drivign agressive and doing my short trips I got down to about 10 mpg, but you pretty much need to floor it at every start.

· Banned
1,598 Posts
Guys,

Whats the worst MPG I can expect in a Challenger with a Hemi 5.7L? Say I have a led foot, drive 90% city and always with the windows down?

BTW, does the 2010 5.7L hemi have MDS or VVT features that work less in cruising speeds? Is MDS even for real?

Was fuel economy improved from 2007 - 2010 on these engines? Any plans for further improvements in efficiency in 2011?

Thanks.
The 370hp VVT engine is the new stuff, more hp and no decrease in milage. ITs the SRT-8's turn for an upgrade for 2011

· Registered
168 Posts
I just recently took a trip to brunswick, GE from Fort Campbell, TN to pick up my wife car. It was about a 550 mile trip. I got 26-27 mpg on a full tank and took me 400 miles. The gauge said it had about 40 miles left before empty. I drove the speed limit 60-70 mph and used cruise control. I have a predator tune/180 tstat/CAI/aftermarket catback. City driving I get about 16-20 mpg.

· Registered
188 Posts
12 MPG around town, 15 combined. I am told it will improve with time but I am wondering as I got 1000 miles now. I do not notice the MDS kicking in or out, Which makes me wonder if this thing really works on my car. Anyone know where the solinoids are? I know a KB blower will not fit due to them. I see no solinoids on top of the valve covers so perhapse under the intake manifold?
The MDS Solenoids are under the intake and are directly ported into the oil gallery for the roller hydraulic lifters (Cylinders 1,4,6 & 7). They shut off the oil supply to the lifters which bleed down (collapsing), disabling operation of the cylinder. Below, straight from Dealer Connect, for your info. Hope that helps.

DESCRIPTION

The Multi Displacement System selectively deactivates cylinders 1,4,6, and 7, to improve fuel economy. It has two modes of operation:

• 8 cylinders for acceleration and heavy loads.
  • 4 cylinders for cruising and city traffic.
The main components of the Multi Displacement System are:

• Unique MDS camshaft.
  • Deactivating roller tappets.
  • 4 control valves/solenoids.
  • control valve/solenoid wiring harness.
  • oil temp sensor.

· Registered
313 Posts
I am guessing 2 and 3 are the solinoids. Seems like a KB blower would just need to be lifted up with a spacer, if there is room under the hood.
In another post someone said all 5.7 have VVT, but the dealer connect shows special cam for MDS. Is it possible that both the auto and stick have VVT?
BTW Rep points for pposting!

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

If you're really worried about fuel consumption you may not be considering the right car.
I just got my PlumCrazy 2010 factory ordered RT Classic with the 6 speed manual.
I also have SuperTrack pack which has a 3.06 rear gear ratio.
The sixth gear is crazy. 1,400 rpm=62mph. 2,000 rpm=84 mph :3-startled:. MPG is 25 @62 and 23 @ 84. I have less than 200 miles on it so I haven't opened it up yet.
In the 70's these types of cars got horrific mileage. I don't think about the mileage, all that matters is that I can't stop smiling while driving it. I hope gas prices go to 20 dollars a gallon just so most people will stop driving and clear the roads for those of us that live/love to drive!!! LOL:smileup:
I had a 2008 300C automatic with the cylinder de-activation and used to get at least 30 mpg at reasonable cruising speeds with or without cruise on. Nice car but not nearly as much road presence as my purple beast.

Cheers!!! :beerchug:

· Registered
768 Posts
6 speed classic with 20" wheels and 3.06 rear ? I have a 3.91 and im doing 60mph at about 1450 rpm

· Registered
224 Posts
MDS works, its real, and it makes you get better milage. Its programmed to engage the second you arent in the throttle, it kicks in all the time, once the load has decreased and you are nearly up to speed it kicks in. ITs very agressive at saving you gas.

This happens city, highway, and interstate.

Milage all depends on how you drive. When the car is cold and warming up it runs rich so the milage decreases. Personally winter milage I get 13 mpg, short trips, and I dont drive fast, 1500-2500 rpm, only flooring it maybe 5 times per tank. The reason I get 13 is the short trips with stop and go.
Summer its nearly up to 15. Typical city with more driving it gets closer to 19-20.

Now bare in mind my last car was a 3.5L V6 charger which got 15 mpg city, my 2.4L Caliber that is 900 pounds lighter also gets 15 mpg, so my low mpg is due to short trips.

I think one week while drivign agressive and doing my short trips I got down to about 10 mpg, but you pretty much need to floor it at every start.
I turned off my MDS when I put my 93 CAI tune on. I get 18 city with various driving techniques and 21 highway running between 70 and 80 .

· Registered
9 Posts
Paint57

SuperTrack pack has 3.06 rear axle ratio according to my factory order sheet.
Standard ratios are 3.92 and 3.73 as listed on the sheet for 6 speed.
I just re-checked my order sheet.

I re-checked my fuel economy since my last post to be sure.
At 1400 rpm I was cruising at 100km/h which translates to 62 mph.
At 2000 rpm I was just under 140km/h which is about 80 mph.

At 100 km/h my fuel consumption according the on board computer
said I was using 8.2 litres/100 km or 28.7 u.s. mpg, exactly what the
factory order sheet listed. At 110 km/h I was using 9.7 litres/100 km.

3.06 does sound awfully low to me but that's what was listed on the Dodge site when I ordered it (STP) and that's what the order sheet says.

It's also no problem starting off in 4th gear, which I did once or twice before I was used to it. The 1-4 skip through me off the first time it happened too but now I'm used to it.

· Registered
460 Posts
Why would you buy a muscle car and worry about gas mileage or insurance? It makes me crazy when people do that. If those are your concerns buy an import.

· Registered
768 Posts
I think its more of a general question rather than a concern.
No MDS or auto here but my best with mixed driving was 21.3 and worse was 16.1 average per tank with just over 2k on the car

· Registered
9 Posts
nvrdone - not worried

Hey I don't care about milage. I drive a Suburban when I'm not in my Plum Crazy beast. My boat has a V8 etc., . I was just commenting to someone who was asking about it. It's just conversation.

On another topic; my mechanic saw my car today and said "wow, nice" then he said "you gotta drop it and tint the windows". So my question is:has anyone here dropped their Challenger? I wonder if it affects the warranty.
He says they look good but I'm also concerned about the ride. I really like it and don't want to mess it up. Thoughts?:4-dontknow:

Thanx in advance,
PlumCrazy

· Registered
415 Posts
By law warranty must be honored unless they can prove the aftermarket mod caused the damage.

And NVRDONE, gas mileage/insurance is a factor in the total cost of ownership of ANY car. It's something some people without copious disposable income need to know when determining whether they can afford something or if they need to put off their dreams and find something more practical.

There are also plenty of domestic cars to be had that aren't so bad on gas such as the Dodge Avenger, Ford Fusion or Chevy Cobalt for instance.

· Registered
1,664 Posts
By law warranty must be honored unless they can prove the aftermarket mod caused the damage.

And NVRDONE, gas mileage/insurance is a factor in the total cost of ownership of ANY car. It's something some people without copious disposable income need to know when determining whether they can afford something or if they need to put off their dreams and find something more practical.

There are also plenty of domestic cars to be had that aren't so bad on gas such as the Dodge Avenger, Ford Fusion or Chevy Cobalt for instance.
I dont' disagree that MPG is a factor, but only within a 5 mpg or so. Seriously if you need to factor that into the purchase price, a 'muscle' car it's probably the wrong car for you. They are more expansive to keep up in a lot of ways, higher insurance costs (as you mentioned), more likely to be stolen, more likely to be wrecked, more likely to have mechanical issues and so on.... There is an entire other level of maintenance with the 6 speed... and since the 'focus' of the design was on performance, it's most likely going to get driven that way.

My only point is that if you are calculating that close to the edge you are probably over stepping where you should be for your budget at the moment.

I don't think you'll truly be able to enjoy the car if it is putting you in a place where every last dollar has to be accounted for. IMHO that's not financial planing that is deluding yourself into believing you'll be OK if you over reach financially because you really want this cool car... That's think ice. Gas is going to double at some point.. Then what..

Now from just a casual conversation point... It's amazing to me how good the MPG is on these behemoths..... Dodge did a great job IMHO...

I feel the same way about warrantee.. I get the laws... but I just figure that if I mod, I'm likely to have warrantee problems... then I either pull the trigger or I don't. Lots of guys have dropped the car. Some have issues most don't it depends on your goals and uses for the car... I like the dropped look, but admit it's not for me...

Tim

· Registered
415 Posts
...My only point is that if you are calculating that close to the edge you are probably over stepping where you should be for your budget at the moment.

I don't think you'll truly be able to enjoy the car if it is putting you in a place where every last dollar has to be accounted for. IMHO that's not financial planing that is deluding yourself into believing you'll be OK if you over reach financially because you really want this cool car... That's think ice. Gas is going to double at some point.. Then what... Tim
I will forever remember $4 gasoline as the domino that really set this economic clusterfail into motion.

That's why when I ran those numbers myself, I factored gasoline all the way up to $9 a gallon. When I decided that I could survive that and not lose the car or my apartment I knew I was OK. My commute is only 35 miles a day and I could make sacrifices elsewhere to get through that worst case scenario.

My insurance only went up 20% really but I got a multi-policy discount by adding renter's insurance which dropped it to a 10% increase (score, free renter's insurance!). Someone with a bad driving record would probably get hit hard though. That 10 - 20% could be a lot more money if not an even higher percentage. Admittedly, I never even asked before I bought my Challenger.

· Registered
1,664 Posts
I will forever remember $4 gasoline as the domino that really set this economic clusterfail into motion.

That's why when I ran those numbers myself, I factored gasoline all the way up to $9 a gallon. When I decided that I could survive that and not lose the car or my apartment I knew I was OK. My commute is only 35 miles a day and I could make sacrifices elsewhere to get through that worst case scenario.

My insurance only went up 20% really but I got a multi-policy discount by adding renter's insurance which dropped it to a 10% increase (score, free renter's insurance!). Someone with a bad driving record would probably get hit hard though. That 10 - 20% could be a lot more money if not an even higher percentage. Admittedly, I never even asked before I bought my Challenger.
There ya go ... perfect.... If you can survive 9 bucks a gallon and not need to give up eating, you are on track.... Next step stash some of that extra cash away for repairs etc, so there is no need for the CC ;-) good job!

Tim

21 - 40 of 64 Posts