Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This dealer experience needs to be shared. Sometime in May, my husband's 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Truck began making some rattling noises, so he immediately shut it down. Luckily (the only luck he would have) he was in town. A small car lot that is owned by the Dodge Dealer Chadron Motor Co, Inc. is located in this town which is about 45 miles from the dealer. They hauled the truck to Chadron and it sat there for three weeks. The first available appointment was the first week in June. It took them another three weeks to fix it.
They replaced the flywheel and throwout bearing. Also replaced two damaged rocker arms, pushrod bent and damaged valve spring. Replaced the fuel filter. They also did a "free" multi point inspection.
About two weeks after bringing it home, the check engine light came on.
Yesterday my husband had to haul a load of cattle to the sale barn (yeah, selling is good!). After the sale he took it back to the dealer in Chadron. He asked if they could check the code and see what the problem is. They said no, their mechanic wasn't there and just couldn't do it. Couldn't look at it until August 7th! I think my husband was in a panic mode, although he wouldn't ever admit that, he really tries to take good care of his vehicles.
So on the way home he stops in this little town at a diesel mechanic shop that we have done business with over the years. The owner/mechanic wasn't there, but the wife was. She was willing to look at his truck. SHE found that there was NO air filter! The air cleaner box was not latched, so when she opened it no air filter. Wires in loom next to the transmission were not reattached to the frame and hanging almost to the ground. She also noticed that the water pump was bad and starting to seep and cause damage to the serpentine belt. Oh I forgot, the drain plug was loose, there was oil leaking in the drive line, they forgot to put a seal in it!
I am sure glad that their multipoint inspection was free! It wasn't worth the paper it was written on!
This dealer is new to Dodge (a little over a year). They need to hire some qualified mechanics. Where do they get these incompetent boobs????

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
This dealer experience needs to be shared. Sometime in May, my husband's 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Truck began making some rattling noises, so he immediately shut it down. Luckily (the only luck he would have) he was in town. A small car lot that is owned by the Dodge Dealer Chadron Motor Co, Inc. is located in this town which is about 45 miles from the dealer. They hauled the truck to Chadron and it sat there for three weeks. The first available appointment was the first week in June. It took them another three weeks to fix it.
They replaced the flywheel and throwout bearing. Also replaced two damaged rocker arms, pushrod bent and damaged valve spring. Replaced the fuel filter. They also did a "free" multi point inspection.
About two weeks after bringing it home, the check engine light came on.
Yesterday my husband had to haul a load of cattle to the sale barn (yeah, selling is good!). After the sale he took it back to the dealer in Chadron. He asked if they could check the code and see what the problem is. They said no, their mechanic wasn't there and just couldn't do it. Couldn't look at it until August 7th! I think my husband was in a panic mode, although he wouldn't ever admit that, he really tries to take good care of his vehicles.
So on the way home he stops in this little town at a diesel mechanic shop that we have done business with over the years. The owner/mechanic wasn't there, but the wife was. She was willing to look at his truck. SHE found that there was NO air filter! The air cleaner box was not latched, so when she opened it no air filter. Wires in loom next to the transmission were not reattached to the frame and hanging almost to the ground. She also noticed that the water pump was bad and starting to seep and cause damage to the serpentine belt. Oh I forgot, the drain plug was loose, there was oil leaking in the drive line, they forgot to put a seal in it!
I am sure glad that their multipoint inspection was free! It wasn't worth the paper it was written on!
This dealer is new to Dodge (a little over a year). They need to hire some qualified mechanics. Where do they get these incompetent boobs????
Un....fricken...believable!!!!! :shakehead:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
What did they say when you went back to flog their sorry behinds?

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My husband hasn't decided what the next step is. He has called Rapid Diesel in Rapid City, and may take it to them to fix. I don't think there is any way that he will go back to the Chadron dealer. The truck has 55,000 miles on it. We aren't sure why the original problem occurred. He has never had any major problems over the years like this one. He really likes this truck. Personally I would fix it, trade it, and move on. We can afford to do this, but it is his truck, his decision.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
My husband hasn't decided what the next step is. He has called Rapid Diesel in Rapid City, and may take it to them to fix. I don't think there is any way that he will go back to the Chadron dealer. The truck has 55,000 miles on it. We aren't sure why the original problem occurred. He has never had any major problems over the years like this one. He really likes this truck. Personally I would fix it, trade it, and move on. We can afford to do this, but it is his truck, his decision.
Yeah that really is very odd about the original problem...especially at that milage...had me wondering if this dealer had ever worked on it before...even for an oil change. I'm with you...get rid of it...no telling what else is going to happen now that "they" have been into it.:3-startled:

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon,
How about that! My husband was talking to Chrysler when the dealer was "fixing" his truck because it took so long. I believe he will be calling them again! What more can I say??

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more post guys. I forgot to mention the codes that came up: 3 fault codes present- two for O2 sensor and the other one for DPF - for a high soot load. My son just happened to call this afternoon, and in college he worked part time at a Diesel Truck Repair Shop. He said he believes the engine is now toast! After the no air filter deal, we are not too optimistic. For anyone going in to get their car serviced, go to a reputable dealer/repair shop!! This dealer was the closest Dodge dealer to us, unfortunately.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sorry to hear about the troubles you guys are having Betty. Several years back my wife and I had a diesel suburban when we lived in California. When the truck started having problems, I had to look for a diesel mechanic and it took me a while to find a good one as a lot of these guys really don't know what they are doing so I can relate. We ended up moving to Chicago and had to try to find another good diesel mechanic, but never found one I trusted so we ended up trading the truck in although I have missed that truck ever since.

In my case it was just best to cut it loose rather than keep spending money then worrying about it's reliability.

Good luck to you guys and hope it works out.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I'd suggest you do this write up and submit it to the BBB. I use them for reference whenever I'm doing E-Commerce and never heard of the company.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TikiMan, we are now considering many options. The code has warned that the DPF is now full and truck must be seen by dealer asap. Last week when my husband couldn't get the dealer to check the codes, that warning hadn't come on yet, and he was unaware of the missing air filter. So glad that he stopped at the independent small diesel truck shop. Very enlightening. Have been PM with Jon (JKlotz10) who has been very kind and helpful with some ideas. My husband kept the appt. for next Wednesday with the dealer. He is driving it back, leaving it there, and talking to the manager. Some ideas are entering our mind. Also visiting with a lawyer that day, asking the dealer for a loaner vehicle while they are dealing with ours. We do oil tests with our tractors, and may consider doing one with the truck. Those tell you exactly what's in your oil.
We both think the engine is ruined, and even if they replace the engine we will trade it off. I believe a new engine is around 10,000 and Jon thought the filter replacement is 3500. Think this appt. next week is going to be fun???

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
That is just shameful! You have some really good dealerships out there, helping to repair the Dodge/Chrysler name and then you get these boneheads. Geez..... Two steps forward, one step backward.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Betty - we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers tonight towards a quick (and painless) resolution - A

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Betty - we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers tonight towards a quick (and painless) resolution - A
Thanks for your kind words! It is unfortunate, but I think we will prevail. We have right on our side. After all it is just a vehicle. It will be resolved, and I will let you all know how this comes out. Feels more like a soap opera everyday.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Thanks for your kind words! It is unfortunate, but I think we will prevail. We have right on our side. After all it is just a vehicle. It will be resolved, and I will let you all know how this comes out. Feels more like a soap opera everyday.
Keep the faith!!!

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Wow that's horrible Betty! I'd definitely file a complaint with the BBB on them for sure. Then I'd call up Chrysler and have them write all this stuff down and log it in your file for the future in case there are any other issues. Then I would find a competent dealership (check online for ratings or something, talk to some friends, etc) and take it there to have someone who actually knows what they're doing look at it and fix it correctly.

That's the worst though, taking your car/truck somewhere and having a bunch of careless bozos screw it all up. People work hard to pay for these vehicles, and to have some idiots mess them up and not be held accountable really pisses me off. I hope you guys get it fixed right and nail those guys for the crappy work they did for you.

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Curios to see how appt. goes. Obviously they are too busy and doing crappy work too. I really get nervous if I take my vehicles anywhere for someone else to be under the hood.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys, only one more day to the big showdown. My husband is a quiet kind of guy, they won't expect him to be firm, but they should be careful. He has had a lot of time to think about this before he goes over there. It is a 60 mile drive to the dealership, I just hope the truck makes it. After that it is all on them!! I am just soooo glad that he stopped at the small diesel truck shop. The lady who looked at the truck said she would stand by us and give a testimonial if needed.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There is a work for what happened to your truck, its called "dusted". Its what happens when a part of the air cleaner system or hoses fails and the engine sucks in dust. I'm pretty sure no air cleaner and 6.7 liters sucking in air would count as dusted.

I own a older Cummins, a 2004 and visit the Cummins forums on occasion. It seems like I've read about problems with bent push rods but can't remember the cause.

Good luck, in my opinion, they owe you a new engine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts