Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2621 - 2640 of 2689 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not a gawker story per se, but one in which the clerk got taken to task by his coworkers! Was at Advance Auto Parts this morning to pick up more detailing stuff; I'm at the back of the store looking at window cleaning utensils when I start hearing word from up front where the clerks and customers are: "That bright orange one... black rims?... yeah, it's a Challenger, but..." So I head on up to the register and see the 4 clerks trying to check out my car from inside (I had parked along the side of the building). One of the older guys motions for the youngest one to ring up my sale, then asks, "is that your Challenger?" I grinned and said yes- and then the youngest clerk got ratted out by his coworkers! "He said he doesn't go for 'low level Challengers'!" "He said why bother if it ain't got a Hemi?"

Poor kid (had to have been mid 20s) turned seven shades of red and started tripping over his words trying to apologize ("Nah, I didn't mean it like that!"), his coworkers and the only other customer hassling him... I genuinely laughed it off and said I had fun test driving a few V8s and you can't beat that rumbling exhaust (Red is silent by comparison), but I'm really happy with my car and have no regrets- especially since everyone can see me coming! No hard feelings at all, and boy, was he relieved- but perhaps he'll also be a little quieter about his opinions on customers' cars while that driver is still in the store!

And then I got in my badass Challenger and drove off with a smile...

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
The best compliment I got was at the dealership yesterday getting Black Beauty serviced when one of the mechanics walked behind my Challenger while it was running in the check in area, and gave me a thumbs up and said that's nice.

Gawkers are pretty common, but when you get compliments from fellow Challenger owners that know the different power levels and can appreciate what you've done to yours, that's priceless!

The man that checked me in owns a 5.7 that he has modded and we shared and compared notes.

It was a really nice day! :) Ry

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Really hot sunny day today, I’m at the light music blaring and I feel the guy next to me watching (2nd or 3rd time since I had the car) but I keep the radios up and avoid contact cuz I am feeling like the man... (yeah don’t give me a Lambo)...
He says aye man is that a SuperBee or Bumble Bee or Bee something like that I can’t remember exactly as he is pointing to the badge on the side of the car... I got yelled over yeah! He said it’s fast as **** isn’t it? I said hell year and I’m melting the tires every chance I get we shared a few more choice works and I waived off and made sure to let that 392 Hemi Breathe!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seems like my gawker stories are people trying not to gawk. Like when someone see's my go mango shaker and then the look on there face, then they quickly look away, and then try to check it out without being too obvious. I was on the interstate and a suv came along and was hanging out in the lane beside me, I looked over and there were 3 or 4 kids with all their faces glued to the windows, pointing and waving and grinning from ear to ear, so I played the scat pack lullaby through the tail pipes. They didn't pull up beside me again. I do seem to have a lot of cars catch up to me on the highway, but never pass me. I guess they are just trying to get a better look to see what it is. Once I was rolling down the interstate about 90 and passed an rt charger, i didnt think too much about it, but he got off at the same exit I did and hung out behind me and we came up on some road construction that had one lane closed(4 lane highway). There was a car in front of me, and just when he had enough time before the merge he floor boarded it passed me and the car in front of me, exhaust screaming, sounded pretty good actually, and then merged over at the last second, I just laughed and thought what an idiot he is for doing that crap with road construction going on.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
26,806 Posts
Been a while since I had a gawker story, and I'm not even sure this is one....

The past few weeks, I've been taking the Challenger to work due to the Ram being in the shop. So I'm standing at my desk, talking to my boss about the quarterly safety inspection. From where I'm standing, I can see out the window to the south. To the south is the only way on or off the island. The only thing to the north is an Army facility. I see this red Challenger drive up the road and stop. Then it backs up to where my car is parked. Sits there for a bit. Then backs up even more, and backs into the first available parking space outside the office. Sits there for a bit. I was hoping that the driver wasn't just lost and would get out and come into the office.....I'll never know....

Was kind of hoping it was someone on here that recognized the car and stopped to say "hi"....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I get some comments now and again, but almost every time my wife takes the car out guys talk to her about my car. Maybe it’s her red hair in a black car combo... definitely more approachable than me I guess. She gets questions all the time about the engine and whatnot, but she knows nothing really, especially about all the work I’ve done on it. So she just shrugs and smiles. I’m going to make up a spec sheet and leave it in the car so she can read from it.

Now that I think about it, there was this older dude, like the Marlboro man’s skinny old uncle in a trans am. He pulls up next to me in traffic and ask if I want to race for pink slips. I gestured to the traffic and said, “There’s nowhere to go!” Then he peels out and makes a hard right turn and flees the scene.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Pictures just do not do justice for Black Beauty, today after she was washed my wife and I went to the grocery store when we were getting out of the car I stopped my wife from opening passenger door because I saw another black car pulling in the space next to her side. She allowed the guy to get out first and then she got out, he was waiting at the back of Black Beauty holding out his car keys, I couldn't help but look bewildered?, and then he said is this the parking lot where we swap keys, and you take my car and I take yours? I was like, I don't think so, even though he had a very nice car himself, he said, I don't blame you, that car just looks fast just sitting there, do you speed everywhere you go?

No, I do go about 3 to 5 miles over in the City depending on traffic flow, maybe 7 or 8 MPH over on the Interstate, but driving a car like this gets looks sometimes from the Law as well as others.

Well it's a gorgeous car be careful out there!

2nd one today from another Black Challenger owner we ended up at a stop light next to each other, and complimented each others rides, you meet some really great people in Challengers! Ry :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I didn’t tell my family that I bought my 392 T/A. We went to my cousin’s house for Thanksgiving yesterday. My uncle and aunt pulled up and she immediately got out of the minivan going on about how beautiful my car is. According to my wife, my aunt kept staring at it through the window and saying it is the most beautiful car she’s ever seen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Was outside this morning cleaning the car in the apartment complex parking lot, taking advantage of the beautiful dry weather. One of the residents did a slow roll by my car, then stopped and rolled down his window. "Man, how do you keep your car so nice? It's always clean! Aren't you out here all the time?"

I said I clean it once a week (though if it's below 40°, nuh uh). "Every week? Inside and out? Are you ex-military?" At which point I laughed and said no, I just really love my car.

"It's a good looking car! Now I feel like I should go clean mine today, too!" And off went another fan of Red...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have a two for one! I had my SP at the new local dealership for a UConnect update. The tech had pulled my car back into the service drive area in the building and let me know it was ready. The detail guy came in as I was preparing to leave. He said, "I was wondering who had this car. It is so sexy." I told him "thanks" and we chatted a bit about it and the color.

Later in the weekend, UPS delivered a couple of packages. I had the garage open, so I met him in the yard and he asked if I would like them in the garage. I told him that was fine and as he left, he told me that my car was, "one sweet ride." We chatted a few minutes and I told him I appreciated his comments.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Had to share this one. Took my YJ in to a local shop to have my long tubes and cat delete mid pipes installed (that's a whole other story). This shop has worked on some of the cars from Memphis Street Outlaws, so they are used to working on some nice rides. Everyone in the shop complimented me on how nice mine looked. When the service manage called to let me know it was ready, he even commented on how much "extra care" they had taken while working on it so nothing would get dirty or damaged.
He also commented "make sure there are no old ladies close by when you start it up, they might have a heart attack". It is loud.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I was coming out of Meijer's yesterday, and this guy and his about 12 year old kid stood there and gawked at my car, so I decided to hit the remote start to make them jump. The kid did a little bit, but the dad just about fell over. They were both laughing when I got to the car and the dad asked me if I had changed the exhaust, and I said, "Nope, it's stock!", and the kid asked him, "Why can't we ever have a fun car like this?". He said, "Ask your mom!". I feel bad when a guy has some bucks (He was driving a new looking F150) and he can't get what he wants because the wife (Usually it works this way) says no.

2621 - 2640 of 2689 Posts