Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2821 - 2831 of 2831 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Yesterday was a good day. Drove her to work and parked right on the main walk. Had a lot of positive comments and questions. Was nice.
There were multiple car shows/cruise-ins around town yesterday, so there were nice cars everywhere cruising town. These are happening almost every weekend now and I'm loving it.
So leaving work it was a nice late afternoon, so I was cruising home with the windows down, radio off, enjoying the exhaust and the drive. Approaching a red light I heard 2 loud voices in the car beside me on my right. Glanced over to see two young guys gawking hard and making lots of excited comments. Driver said "$#@!%& yeah I like that!" I gave them a wave and eased up toward the light. They were in a Honda, and immediately gunned it to beat me to the light. I laughed. When the light changed, we pulled out normally, and I eased out through first, second, and into third gear. After the cars in front of us turned off, leaving a clear road ahead, the Honda gunned it again pulling ahead of me on my right. I don't think so boys.
It was effortless to catch up to their wound out 4-banger. Pulled up along side them, and without looking over at them, I mashed it hard in third, wound her up, then grabbed 4th, in a 2-second 40 to 70 mph walk away. My straight pipe exhaust was so very loud echoing off their car as I ran away from them. They followed at a distance behind me the rest of the way through town.
Don't drive a Honda and jump a big block Mopar. Lesson learned.
That was great!

I find myself with a different mentality these days, I don't care what size engine the car has that I'm pulling up next to at a light, I look at the rear tires to see if they are stock width, because in most cases if they are stock width they are also the stock rubber composition.

Red lights and Stop signs are my thrill for the day, as it is rare to actually pull up to one or the other and a cop is not there, so when I arrive at one my mentality is to hammer it off the line, and get the acceleration Adrenalin!

The other day I was free and clear at one of those known lights that takes forever to change, so I had already planned to hammer it when the light changed and do some tire cooking too.

Then here comes a blue Camaro convertible with the top down with just the driver, a guy, like I said it is a long light.

I went through the should I or shouldn't I?, he'll think I am challenging him, but this is my last opportunity before getting home.

I also know how loud the Magnaflow exhaust is and he was in the wide open in the convertible, so I decided to roll on the throttle instead of hammering it.

Accelerated to about 5 miles over and leveled off about a mile later he pulled along side as I was veering right to get on the Interstate, he did not even look my way.

Later out of curiosity I rolled the windows down to duplicate what I had done just to hear how loud it was to do that with him right next to the rear of the car?

That Magnaflow exhaust flat out screams power when hard accelerating, and you don't get the full impact of it with the windows up, but he surely did!

So for him, it was a gawking moment!

·
Trigger657
3,199 Posts
That was great!

I find myself with a different mentality these days, I don't care what size engine the car has that I'm pulling up next to at a light, I look at the rear tires to see if they are stock width, because in most cases if they are stock width they are also the stock rubber composition.

Red lights and Stop signs are my thrill for the day, as it is rare to actually pull up to one or the other and a cop is not there, so when I arrive at one my mentality is to hammer it off the line, and get the acceleration Adrenalin!

The other day I was free and clear at one of those known lights that takes forever to change, so I had already planned to hammer it when the light changed and do some tire cooking too.

Then here comes a blue Camaro convertible with the top down with just the driver, a guy, like I said it is a long light.

I went through the should I or shouldn't I?, he'll think I am challenging him, but this is my last opportunity before getting home.

I also know how loud the Magnaflow exhaust is and he was in the wide open in the convertible, so I decided to roll on the throttle instead of hammering it.

Accelerated to about 5 miles over and leveled off about a mile later he pulled along side as I was veering right to get on the Interstate, he did not even look my way.

Later out of curiosity I rolled the windows down to duplicate what I had done just to hear how loud it was to do that with him right next to the rear of the car?

That Magnaflow exhaust flat out screams power when hard accelerating, and you don't get the full impact of it with the windows up, but he surely did!

So for him, it was a gawking moment!
Best behave. Don't want to have to go Bail you out......😒

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
386 Posts
That is great Ry!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Went to the local Ice Cream drive thru for a shake the other night. As we pulled around and got back on the street someone yells out from their ride "Nice Stripes!". I waved a 'Thank You' back as we tooled down the road. My chocolate shake tasted a little choc'latier. HAH!

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Several years ago when I was visiting my mom at her nursing home, there was a WWII vet sittiing outside the main entrance who asked me about my R/T parked at the opposite end of the parking lot. He wanted to know if it was a 1970 model because he used to own one himself 40 years ago. I told him it was a 2013 and explained that Dodge had revived the Challenger in 2008 and basically used the same design. He nodded and I thought he understood, until he told me what a good job I had done restoring it!
I'm 74 and drive around town in a loud R/T. This story made teary eyed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Today I had an old girl in a brand new Nissan Leaf give me a thumbs up and told me how much she loved my car. Told her thanks and was feeling pretty good about things when she added her husband was restoring one exactly like yours, same colour, looks just like it ...and I kinda felt like someone wearing cammo around an actual soldier when I didn't correct her (I'm of the mind he's actually doing a 1970 R/T white vanishing point tribute rather than an ivory 2015 R/T Plus but who knows ). Pretty sure in most universes that same little old lady is putting people on blast for driving a loud, large V8 but in this one it was the highlight of my day.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Except for some (or most) of the classics out there on the road, how many of you (us) that own other rides have anyone say nice car/truck/bike? My wife owns a 540 Bimmer. My son owns a 430 Bimmer. No one has ever told them "Nice Car".
Even now, after 11 years, they marvel over the fact that someone pays a complement, gives a thumbs up, calls out while stopped at a light, stops me to ask questions, say they want to trade rides while fueling up at the pump.
There are more Challengers on the road but they still Got It!

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
386 Posts
Somebody once said "Nice truck man!" about my Ram...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Two young kids once pulled up next to my SRT-10 in one of those jazzed up Honda's....one leans out "That thing gotta a Hemi?" like in that classic Ram commercial. I told him it's better than a Hemi and left them behind to ponder what just transpired...pretty funny actually.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I've been asked what year my Ram is and then I'm complimented at how nice it looks, especially when they hear how much of a workhorse it is.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I had a lot of gawkers today as I went from the West side of Toledo to the East side. Right after I pulled out from my apartment complex, I stopped at the first light and a very dirty with bad teeth'ed guy said, "I like your car!" and gave me a thumbs up. A few minutes later, I was at a stoplight and an old Trans Am, about 20 years old, pulled up to turn left, and he saw the 6.4 on the side, and gave me a thumbs up. When I was at Culver's waiting for my order, one of the employees took an order to the car next to me, and said, "I'm saving up to buy a car like yours!". And on the way home, just after dark, two 25 or so year old girls said both their dads have Scat Pack Chargers, but both really wanted "your car!"

2821 - 2831 of 2831 Posts